The Student Room Group
Reply 2
Go on google, type define: and then whatever you want a definition of. :smile: And then if that doesn't help come back.
Reply 3
doesn't really define it in a chemistry clear way hence im approaching this holy forum for guidance :p:
Reply 4
ps by ionic charge i mean not bonding but the charge if you get me ...
What board?
Reply 6
Hedgehunter
What board?

ocr old spec :biggrin:
Reply 7
Charge density is the charge per volume. For example, a fluoride ion has a greater charge density than a chloride ion because they both have a charge of -1, but the flouride ion is smaller.
Ionic charge is the overall charge on an ion i.e. the number of electrons that the corresponding atom has gained or lost. (This is because in a neutral atom there are the same number of protons and electrons so the overall charge is 0). Remember that electrons are negatively charged, so losing an electron leads to a positive charge.
Nuclear charge is the charge on the nucleus. This is the same as the number of protons. You would never actually get just the nucleus by itself, but this concept is important in electronegativity etc.
Reply 8
ffrann
Charge density is the charge per volume. For example, a fluoride ion has a greater charge density than a chloride ion because they both have a charge of -1, but the flouride ion is smaller.
Ionic charge is the overall charge on an ion i.e. the number of electrons that the corresponding atom has gained or lost. (This is because in a neutral atom there are the same number of protons and electrons so the overall charge is 0). Remember that electrons are negatively charged, so losing an electron leads to a positive charge.
Nuclear charge is the charge on the nucleus. This is the same as the number of protons. You would never actually get just the nucleus by itself, but this concept is important in electronegativity etc.

thank you!!!! i love you! lol ermm just want to ask- so ionic charge, you would say ionic charge increases form +1 to +3 across a period and ion charge could be - or + thanks alot!!! lol im an a2 student as well haha
Reply 9
lnwn
thank you!!!! i love you! lol ermm just want to ask- so ionic charge, you would say ionic charge increases form +1 to +3 across a period and ion charge could be - or + thanks alot!!! lol im an a2 student as well haha

The ionic charge increases as you say for Na, Mg and Al, but this doesn't work with transition metals or non-metals. And yes, ion charge could be positive or negative. :smile:

Latest