I did. :flute:
I got 2: BSMS and Leicester =]
Reply 62
my friend got rejected from all her places except for oxford
weird, isnt it?!
Reply 63
I have 2. :smile:
Self Preservation Society
Well the London schools all have well established ties with each other, and some have links with Oxbridge. These are formal links, although they aren't supposed to be used for sharing applicant information.

To support my theory, obviously I can't prove it, but I've spoken to people who are "in the know", within the application process, who insist that med schools can see where else you've applied (if they want to bother finding out) and that they do "talk" to each, to a certain degree. By no means does every school talk to every other school, but certainly some schools talk to some others. Additionally, I've seen a few cases of strange patterns of acceptances/rejections that make me think that something else is going on in some schools.

Hmm.. people who are "in the know" - are these just people you know who've been rejected by somewhere and think that this must be the reason for it?

"Strange" patterns of rejections/offers result form the fact that each med school has its own admissions criteria, and these criteria can differ widely. It's not uncommon or strange, for instance, for people who get offers from Oxbridge to be rejected from London schools or elsewhere - academics alone will get you an interview at Oxford, the same isn't true for the majority of other places.
Reply 65
jonnyofengland
I did. :flute:

This chap has 4. :yes:, you heard me right. 4.

:eek:

:party:
Reply 66
Well the London schools all have well established ties with each other, and some have links with Oxbridge. These are formal links, although they aren't supposed to be used for sharing applicant information.

To support my theory, obviously I can't prove it, but I've spoken to people who are "in the know", within the application process, who insist that med schools can see where else you've applied (if they want to bother finding out) and that they do "talk" to each, to a certain degree. By no means does every school talk to every other school, but certainly some schools talk to some others. Additionally, I've seen a few cases of strange patterns of acceptances/rejections that make me think that something else is going on in some schools.

Anecdotal evidence = :no:
sabka7
my friend got rejected from all her places except for oxford
weird, isnt it?!

No, not really.

Oxford value a lot of different things to other Medical Schools, so it's entirely possible you could excel in an interview there but not be at all what other Medical Schools are looking for.
Reply 68
jonnyofengland
No, not really.

Oxford value a lot of different things to other Medical Schools, so it's entirely possible you could excel in an interview there but not be at all what other Medical Schools are looking for.

Exactly.

In fact, I spoke to quite a few current Oxford medical students there who had just the one offer from there, with one even rejected from biomed somewhere or other :eek:
Reply 69
dob86
For the record I wasn't taking the piss, I actually thought that when every person i met on freshers had one offer.

Ever thought that was because it was the only university they could get into?:wink:
I jest.
Reply 70
GdotL
Ever thought that was because it was the only university they could get into?:wink:
I jest.

That dawned on me after the first week of actual lectures.

Same goes for me though.
theatrical
Hmm.. people who are "in the know" - are these just people you know who've been rejected by somewhere and think that this must be the reason for it?

Not at all: I'm talking about people who are actually involved in the admissions processes at certain well known unis. Obviously I'm not going to put names all over the internet, but to be honest, I would have assumed that people would be observant enough to notice and question stuff like this for themselves. Apparently not.

theatrical

"Strange" patterns of rejections/offers result form the fact that each med school has its own admissions criteria, and these criteria can differ widely. It's not uncommon or strange, for instance, for people who get offers from Oxbridge to be rejected from London schools or elsewhere - academics alone will get you an interview at Oxford, the same isn't true for the majority of other places.

I appreciate that different med schools have different criteria. I'm talking about patterns that have been observed over a period of time, involving numerous students (more than could be accounted for by chance alone).
Not at all: I'm talking about people who are actually involved in the admissions processes at certain well known unis. Obviously I'm not going to put names all over the internet, but to be honest, I would have assumed that people would be observant enough to notice and question stuff like this for themselves. Apparently not.

I appreciate that different med schools have different criteria. I'm talking about patterns that have been observed over a period of time, involving numerous students (more than could be accounted for by chance alone).

Everything you talk about is anecdotal and I really don't buy into it. I've been on this forum for a while now and have observed how offers are spread around - I've seen no patterns and no so-called anomalies that can't be explained away using the points I made previously.

Latest

Trending

Trending