The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Can you pick accommodation if notts is insurance?

Im a bit confused, I haven't chosen my firm and insurance yet on ucas (but will in a few days) and when I tried to choose accommodation on the notts accomodation website, it blocked me from doing so and said something along the lines of 'our records tell us that nottingham is not your firm choice.' Does this mean I can't apply for accommodation unless nottingham is my firm choice? If so, what happens if i have to go to my insurance (notts), I won't have any accommodation?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think so.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
When I went to the campus open day a week ago, they told me that you can still apply for accomodation if you have notts as insurance, it's just that you might not get your first or second choice of accomodation - the firm-choicers get priority.

I'm in the same situation with notts as insurance.
Reply 3
You can't apply until Notts is your firm choice. There are loads of threads about this in the forum if you search.

I think the way it works is that come results day, if you've found that you're coming to Notts after all, you firm Nottingham and the accommodation portal will open to you in a few hours. Only then can you choose accommodation from whatever rooms are left over or from people who haven't met their offers.

They only just have enough room to accommodate all the firmers, NH can't be expected to hold empty rooms for insurance choices, where there's no guarantee of a tenant come September. And from reading this forum, everyone finds a room someway or another.
Dijobla
You can't apply until Notts is your firm choice. There are loads of threads about this in the forum if you search.

I think the way it works is that come results day, if you've found that you're coming to Notts after all, you firm Nottingham and the accommodation portal will open to you in a few hours. Only then can you choose accommodation from whatever rooms are left over or from people who haven't met their offers.

They only just have enough room to accommodate all the firmers, NH can't be expected to hold empty rooms for insurance choices, where there's no guarantee of a tenant come September. And from reading this forum, everyone finds a room someway or another.

Yep all of this plus some people find rooms in Broadgate, Raleigh or Manor villages
Dijobla

Blimey, I bet that crashes the Notts website from all the desperate/frantic new visitors all of a sudden.
Reply 6
You can not apply for accommodation before your final results come out for any insurance university. This is because they obviously have to allocate rooms to those people who've firmed them. You can apply once you have received your results, but there are no guarantees that you'll get your first accommodation choice i.e. you'll be choosing from what's leftover. As it is, most of the catered halls on campus, or at least university park will soon be fully booked so you may have to consider going self-catered. If this is the case, reading the countless threads in this forum on the different options available would be wise.
Reply 7
Hmm there's some conflicting responses on this thread. Im hoping the accommodation guy (or gal?!) Brenlee will help clear things up :smile:
the search function doesnt work btw...
Reply 8
mazza558
When I went to the campus open day a week ago, they told me that you can still apply for accomodation if you have notts as insurance, it's just that you might not get your first or second choice of accomodation - the firm-choicers get priority.

I'm in the same situation with notts as insurance.

So have you picked accomodation from notts? just curious as some posters on here say that it's apparently not possible to pick insurance accommodation for notts?
Toxic Tears
So have you picked accomodation from notts? just curious as some posters on here say that it's apparently not possible to pick insurance accommodation for notts?

I haven't yet.
Toxic Tears
Hmm there's some conflicting responses on this thread. Im hoping the accommodation guy (or gal?!) Brenlee will help clear things up :smile:
the search function doesnt work btw...

I'm pretty sure that what me, La Trampa and Dijobla have said is correct

You can't apply for accommodation until you firm Nottingham. Lets say you put Nottingham as your insurance and hypothetically once yyour results have come in August you decide or are forced to go to your insurance which is Nottingham. Then the insurance acceptance will become a firm acceptance so you can apply for accomodation. I'm pretty sure (99%) that you can only apply for accommodation if you have firmed Nottingham.
La Trampa
You can not apply for accommodation before your final results come out for any insurance university. This is because they obviously have to allocate rooms to those people who've firmed them. You can apply once you have received your results, but there are no guarantees that you'll get your first accommodation choice i.e. you'll be choosing from what's leftover. As it is, most of the catered halls on campus, or at least university park will soon be fully booked so you may have to consider going self-catered. If this is the case, reading the countless threads in this forum on the different options available would be wise.

That's not true, I can for newcastle and edinburgh.
Toxic Tears

At the open day I went to, and on the website, it said you only apply if it's your firm choice.
Reply 13
thetopnotch
I'm pretty sure that what me, La Trampa and Dijobla have said is correct

You can't apply for accommodation until you firm Nottingham. Lets say you put Nottingham as your insurance and hypothetically once yyour results have come in August you decide or are forced to go to your insurance which is Nottingham. Then the insurance acceptance will become a firm acceptance so you can apply for accomodation. I'm pretty sure (99%) that you can only apply for accommodation if you have firmed Nottingham.

But how come mazza said notts told him on the open day that you can apply for accommodation if notts is your insurance, just that you might not get your first or second choice?
angelmxxx
That's not true, I can for newcastle and edinburgh.

You can't apply for accommodation for your insurance universities, at least not university provided accommodation. This is because they provide rooms for people who've actually firmed their ucas offers and know they want to go to that uni. If you want to find a place not provided by the university, then of course no one can stop you.

Taken directly from University of Edinburgh's website

University of Edinburgh website

What other information is needed to process applications?

We need to know that you will definitely be studying at the University of Edinburgh before we can offer you accommodation. For new undergraduates (freshers), this confirmation is provided to us directly by UCAS.

Newcastle University
If you have an unconditional offer, rooms are allocated once you have firmly accepted the offer. For most students this will be following A level results. You will be sent an email advising that you have been made an accommodation offer which you will need to accept online.

I've been through the process and I've been here many many years so I know what I'm saying.
Reply 15
Toxic Tears
But how come mazza said notts told him on the open day that you can apply for accommodation if notts is your insurance, just that you might not get your first or second choice?

Yes, after results day, you can choose accommodation, but because the choice is so limited, you might not get your first or second choice. What they're basically saying is that insurance students get whatever they're given. :|

thetopnotch and La Trampa are both current Notts students, so I'd probably take their word over someone who heard something at an open day... :s-smilie: Plus, there are dozens of old threads which say exactly what we've just said.
Toxic Tears

You can apply but only AFTER the ucas results are out. Try applying before and you'll get a please come back later. If you want to apply to a place like broadgate or basically any accommodation not provided by the university (self-catered options) then yes you can go ahead. Although I think even broadgate ask that you either wait till after ucas results or you've firmed nottingham as your uni. Don't quote me on this last bit because they change their stance all the time
Reply 17
Listen to La Trampa, she knows her stuff.

If, for Nottingham, you've been told differently; you've been told wrong!
Toxic Tears

hmmm i got told some things at the open day by current students which didn't add up, so not everything that was said is right....

plus someone on this thread works in accomodation services so we're all certain that you can't apply for University accommodation i.e. halls with an insurance acceptance...that would become a huge mess if students were allowed to do that because there just wouldn't be enough space + reallocation would have to occur for a huge number of students.
Reply 19
thetopnotch
someone on this thread works in accomodation services

:wink:

thetopnotch
we're all certain that you can't apply for University accommodation i.e. halls with an insurance acceptance...that would become a huge mess if students were allowed to do that because there just wouldn't be enough space + reallocation would have to occur for a huge number of students.

:top:

Latest

Trending

Trending