The Student Room Group

Rape - share your experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Keep anon please.

I've had two experiences which I have NEVER told ANYONE about but I feel like this is the most appropriate place to get it off my chest.

The first was when I was 16. I was a virgin and was seeing a guy I really liked, he was the same age as me but had previously had a girlfriend for two years so had been having regular sex and assumed it was the norm. At first he was fine with me not wanting to have sex, saying he wanted to wait until I was ready. Then a few months later we had a talk and I told him I was ready (to be honest, I don't think I was - I was just scared he would leave me if I continued to make him wait). So a few weeks later we went to a party and he got very, very drunk - he shouted at me and even tried to hit me and only stopped when an older friend stepped in. Anyway, we went back to his house (I was staying there as it was quite far from mine) and his parents weren't in. He decided he wanted sex. I started off telling him nicely that I didn't want my first time to be when I was drunk but he wouldn't listen. He pushed me on he bed and forced himself into me. I was crying with the pain but he just laughed at me and kept going. I went home the next day and never saw him again until a few months ago. The sight of him made me feel sick.

The next was later that year when I was on holiday. I went out for drinks with some friends I'd met there but I only had one drink. Then I remember feeling extremely drunk and very sick so I left and one of the guys came with me. I don't remember anything else but I woke up lying on the ground with the guy beside me. The next day he was telling people we'd had sex. I didn't say anything though because I thought he was just making it up to look good and I didn't remember ANYTHING. But now I think my drink must have been spiked, and he could easily have raped me that night.
bavink
i have not been raped and/or have not committed any acts of rape

that is my experience in the matter

Mate to make light out of this subject is seriously out of order.

This thread makes me sick to my stomach it really does.

I think any girl who experiences this should go to the police...yes, its a low chance of it getting convicted but its at least a chance...plus I'm sure a guy who knows that one of his victims is willing to go to the police would think twice about doing it again.

I have had some personal experience with rape victims...I have met two, as far as I am aware, and they dealt with it on two different ways.

The first girl had bottled it up inside her for a long time, had told very few ppl, and had never told anyone the details, how it made her feel etc....not even me, and she felt like I was someone she could trust (we were very close friends). She had basically allowed it to destroy her sexuality - she could not bring herself to be touched or in any way be intimate with somone she liked, respected and trusted (i.e me) So as sad as it was, we remained friends and eventually drifted apart as she spiralled into depression.

The second girl was very open and honest about the whole thing. She had confrontes the guy later, had confronted her feelings about the whole thing, saw a counsellor and had no problem relaying the whole story to me. She had been affected but still managed to get her life back on track and enjoyed a healthy sex life (with me at the time) and did not let the whole thing consume her with fear or anger...

....so I never told anyone about these 2 girls before....but they are both real ppl, and I think the way they dealt with thair ordeals and the different effects they allowed it to have on their livs is relevant here. Hope someone can take something from this.
Gosh, this is such a difficult thread to read in that it's just so sad that this has happened to so many people, and to see that relationships and sex following on from that have been ruined for so many people :frown: I really wish the best to all those who've been attacked :frown:
The 'first' time i was 'abused' i think was when i was about 3, 2 teenage girls took me and my older brother to the local park with this other little boy who was around the same age as us. They took us into the toilets and pulled my pants down and this little boys pants down. They rubbed our genitals together and tried to insert him inside me. My pants were wet from the toilets floor so they through my pants and told my mother that i had wet myself. I have questioned some of this and asked my mother about a teenager with curly blonde hair and was told she used to live a few doors away, i also questioned where my mother used to iron (in kichen) and was found to be correct. But i am still not sure of myself, even tho my mother was shocked i remembered these little things.

When i was about 11 i was pulled into a park by a guy in orange boxers he assulted me, i told a friend who told her mother who inturn told mine who contacted police. This 'friend' also told a few people at school. A boy in my school tried to rape me but i held onto my trousers and he humped my leg. I didn't want to tel the police i was forced by my mother i hate her for that.

My mother also asked a few years after that if my step dad had done any thing to me, all i could say was 'i don't know'.

I now have a young daughter who i am terrified for. I don't trust any one not even her dad or teachers. I have a sick mind i dream of disgusting things happening to my baby every night, i can't let her out my sight. I am scared.
Reply 84
Anonymous
I was 11.

My teacher at school had told us kids if any parents asked us where the school gala was being held then we must direct them.
I was waiting outside after care when a man in a car drove up and asked me to direct him somewhere having been told by my teacher that it was impolite to not help people i walked over to his car.
A few months back i called up my old school and asked to speak to the teacher who had said it was okay to speak to strangers. I told her in graphic detail what had happened to me. What she had caused.
I hope she never tells another child to speak to strangers.

That's horrible! I've never had anything happened to me but I'm quite paranoid anyhow. As a child, I remember being told never to go with a man anywhere, if I didn't know him well and for a long long time I was scared of men in general because I had been told these things.

I am grateful, because I know I probably would have been abused otherwise but I hate the reasons, that it was "necessary" for me to be atleast wary of men. It took me a long while to trust men again and still find it easier to trust women than men.
I can't believe how many people have had awful experiences, I have come close to being raped twice but it has never actually happened. I really understand about other people not sympathising, not caring, not believeing: its only becuase they don't know how to deal with it so they would rather not admit it was there.

First time I was 13, boyfriend of a girl in my class tried to attack me as a revenge because beforehand my talking to him in town had caused (in a very roundabout way) him to split up from his previous girlfriend. He didn't succeed because one of his friends dragged him away from me because apparently I 'wasn't worth it'. Ironic that this 'friend' had previously sexually assaulted me, and ended up raping the aforementioned girlfriend. I told one girl in my class and she thought it was hilarious, and promptly went out with this guy. They are still together 4 years later and I don't really know what to make of the whole thing.

Second time I was in France, in the summer, doing work experience. It was Paris so there weren't many people around (In France, everyone goes south for the summer). A north african looking guy asked me a question and then started following me home, he was in a car and I was on a bicycle. He was just behind me the whole way hoem, sayong (in French) "i only want to talk! two minutes!" obviously I wasn't going to stop. I just about managed to get into the garage of the house abd lock him out, slicing me leg open in the process. I have never been so shaken in my life, and he sat outside the hoouse in his car for hours, waiting to see if I would come out. My host family didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

So yeah. Unless anything has happened to people, they don't seem to understand or care. Certainly none of my friends seemed to care at all.
Reply 86
sammy812
That's horrible! I've never had anything happened to me but I'm quite paranoid anyhow. As a child, I remember being told never to go with a man anywhere, if I didn't know him well and for a long long time I was scared of men in general because I had been told these things.

I am grateful, because I know I probably would have been abused otherwise but I hate the reasons, that it was "necessary" for me to be atleast wary of men. It took me a long while to trust men again and still find it easier to trust women than men.

The sad thing is that it's pretty much necessary today for women not to trust men that they don't know very well.
Anonymous
Why have you chosen now to tell anyone?

I have my reasons of never having the confidence to tell my family because quite frankly, this would destroy them.

Do you still think about it to this day? How often?

Because this forum allows me to post it as anon, and amongst other people sharing. I know the mods can view who I am, however I trust them fully.

I didnt think about it for a long time. Surpressed it prehaps. I'd rather not think about it too much.
Reply 88
Crikey, this thread makes me feel so remorseful for all you young girls who have had to deal with such such a terrible start in life, and certainly make me feel rather sheltered.

I obviously can't say anything to make you feel better as I have no idea how any of you feel, but what I can say is thank you for sharing your experiences and opening my rather naive eyes to the ills of this world which I never thought were so close to home. How wrong.

So thank you.

Graham
I would never think of telling the police what happened to me.

Partly because I don't remember most of it because I was so drunk.

I remember being down the beach and I know I didn't want to. And after that I don't remember anything. I walked back to town and I remember I was crying and I lost my phone so I couldn't call anyone.

I know who did but I will never tell anyone because I live in a small town and everyone knows everyone. I don't even hate the person. I hate myself.

I feel so stupid for it. I don't even remember parts of what happened after I said no, I must have passed out for a bit. I blame myself.

I told my mum a week later only because she knew something was wrong. We had a fight a few days later after it and she called me a slut and slapped me. I think it was just too much pressure on my mum because I swore her to secrecy. I'm not mad at her at all.

I'm a very happy person. I love my family. I love my boyfriend. But I hate a part of myself for this, and I can't get past it.
Anonymous
I would never think of telling the police what happened to me.

Partly because I don't remember most of it because I was so drunk.

I remember being down the beach and I know I didn't want to. And after that I don't remember anything. I walked back to town and I remember I was crying and I lost my phone so I couldn't call anyone.

I know who did but I will never tell anyone because I live in a small town and everyone knows everyone. I don't even hate the person. I hate myself.

I feel so stupid for it. I don't even remember parts of what happened after I said no, I must have passed out for a bit. I blame myself.

I told my mum a week later only because she knew something was wrong. We had a fight a few days later after it and she called me a slut and slapped me. I think it was just too much pressure on my mum because I swore her to secrecy. I'm not mad at her at all.

I'm a very happy person. I love my family. I love my boyfriend. But I hate a part of myself for this, and I can't get past it.

I am really sorry about what happened. What's your relationship with your mum like now? Has she accepted what happened?
I'm not sure if this counts, but when I was about 5, a girl who was a couple of years older than me touched up my little man. I remember feeling like crap about it.
Part of me did enjoy it though, and I wish I took advantage of the situation for my benefits.
Sorry if that offends anyone but that's the way I feel.

Also, TSR is the 2nd time I've mentioned it to anyone.
Also, reading stuff like this makes me feel ashamed to be a man. It also makes me feel frightened for my sisters, my young cousins, my female friends.
It does reaffirm my belief that if I take a young lady out (friend or otherwise), I should ensure that she reaches home safely.
OP, I just wanted to say thank you for making this thread. Reading about other people has really helped... It helps not feeling so alone. Thank you.

As for what someone said about blaming yourself, I can't seem to help it. He approached me and asked for my number, I said no but was really polite to him and asked how his night was etc - it was about 3 in the morning after a night out - but he persisted in talking to me and following me. I asked him if he could leave me alone, and I went into a shop to get credit. I came out and he was still there, but rather than going back in the shop and staying there for safety, I decided to walk home anyway. He appeared out of nowhere and dragged me down a side road. A road with houses too, I screamed for help but no-one heard, or no-one came anyway. I gave up after a while. It's strange how some things you can't remember at all, and you aren't sure what happened, but with other things it's so clear, like the sounds and the smells, what you saw around you and especially how you felt, what was going through your mind. I remember what he said to me before he did it - "I'm going to rape you. I'm going to rape you and kill you. You deserve it." Whilst he was doing it, when I first started struggling, he said to me, "You can't get away, you're pathetic and weak. Look at you, I can do whatever I want to you." He laughed, then he slapped me, and bit my face... and I just gave up. I had always thought before it happened, I would be able to get away if someone attacked me. It shocked me how weak I was, and how strong men are. Everytime I see a black man now I'm always scared it is him, which feels so wrong, but I just can't help it.

As I mentioned earlier, someone found me eventually - but they weren't the first person to do so. After it happened, and he had taken my phone, I wanted to find a phone to call my boyfriend at the time, so I went looking for a phone box. On the way there, I suddenly saw a man walking towards a local Sainsburys to open up, for early morning deliveries presumably. (By this time, it was half four. I have no idea how long the actual act lasted or how long afterwards I just sat there shaking like mad and crying). I called out to him, I asked him to help me, I kept saying "This man just...", and couldn't say the actual word rape. All this was whilst I was crying, my tights torn and my hair a mess, my clothes dirtied, my cheek was red from where he had slapped and bitten me. He turned to look at me whilst walking over the other side of the road - then just turned away and carried on walking. I don't know if he just thought I was some stupid drunk girl or whatever.. but to completely ignore me, just everything got on top of me and I just sunk on the floor and had a panic attack. The first person I saw after this event, and just to SEE someone else was such a relief, I just wanted to be near someone else so I would feel safe, and he ignored me. I think this is also part of the reason why I didn't tell the police when they turned up, not just because of their treatment of me but because I'd already been made to feel like I was being stupid.

To all the other girls; it is a different experience for everyone, but I know to some degree what you are going through, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I really and truly hope you manage to live your life to the full in spite of this sick and horrible people.
Please keep anon, for obvious reasons.

I was raped by my brother. It started when I was 11. Every saturday my parents would go grocery shopping leaving me in the care of him (he's 4 years older than me), taking my younger sister with them. We were considered old enough to stay at home, out of the way. He would take me to my bed and rape me. He did this nearly every saturday until I was 15. Sometimes it wasn't just sex, but acts I can't even bear to commit to words. My family had a lot of turmoil going on for years, my dad had been clinically depressed for years, and committed to a mental hospital twice. When he wasn't in the hospital there would be huge arguments between him and my mother, often my dad would leave the house screaming he was off to commit suicide. So my family was hanging by a thread. My brother used this to manipulate me, saying that if I told anyone, it would destroy the family and we'd be taken into care. So, as far as I could see at the time, there was nothing I could do to stop it. When it did stop it coincided with him getting his first girlfriend (at 19). Istead of abusing my sexually from then on, he abused me mentally, saying that I was worthless, stupid and there was no point in hoping to go away to university as mum and dad couldn't afford to send me even if they wanted to.

I had never told anyone of what happened until November last year, when I finally told everything I could remember in drips and drabs over a few weeks, to my boyfriend of 5 years, who has helped me immensely, comforted me as I've sobbed endlessly and punched walls. What finally made me confront my past was my boyfriend questioning some awful things I was doing, which with councelling have made me realise that what I was doing was recreating my own abuse. Because I had never faced my past and bee running from it for nearly a decade, I continually recreated it (unconsciously of course), previous abusive boyfriends being one of the means. Simultaneously, and again unconciously, I set out to make myself unattractive. I cut myself (the scars of which I still have) and by the time I was 14, I weighed 18st, efforts at the time to repel my brother. I still carry nearly all that weight, but have now begun gradually to lose it (understanding this now, of course makes it all the more upsetting when I do get abuse from men hurled at me in the street because of my weight). The fact that I had gone away to university and been sucessfull academically meant nothing to me before, I still felt worthless, ugly and repulsive, but now I've finally been able to unburden myself, I've begun to move on.

I've always known I could never tell anyone in my family. My parents are now in their sixties and I don't think they could handle it, even if they believed me to begin with. Because of this, I have to play happy families with them, to an extent. It is no coincidence that out of my brother and sister, I am the one who moved furthest away. I go home as little as I can, which hurts because I miss my sister and mother, who is becoming frail and needs more help around the house. But when I do go home, my mother invites my brother over for a kind of family reunion, and I have to sit and make small talk with a man who raped me over 200 times over the course of nearly 5 years. He now has a wife and child and I have to pretend to be an interested aunt. If I fail to send birthday/christmas gifts, my parents ask me why I haven't, and tell me to send things to him/them. I don't know if anyone else but me really knows what it feels like to send gifts to your rapist.
As soon as my parents die, I will be able to sever all contact. But until then, I have to keep up an act for their sakes. In a couple of years, my boyfriend and me would like to get married. If we run off and have a little wedding, just us and friends, my parents will be crushed. If I invite my parents, my brother will have to attend to.

Worst of all for me though, is the simple fact that the bed I have at my parent's house is the same bed that all this happened in, and when I go home tto visit, I have to sleep in that same bed.

To all the girls here who have had terrible experiences, I urge you to tell someone, anyone you feel you could trust with your life, or failing that, a councellor, someone impartial. It took me 10 years to finally tell someone, and I genuiely feel that I began to live my life that day.
sleekchic
I am really sorry about what happened. What's your relationship with your mum like now? Has she accepted what happened?

I love my mum to bits.

I think she was frustrated because she could talk about it with anyone.
Even more frustrated because I started drinking again....not excessively, just a couple with friends because I was trying to get on with things.

We don't actually talk about it ever though anymore. I don't want to either. It makes me too sad too think about so I try to forget it.

I haven't told my boyfriend though because he knows of the person and I don't want it to spiral out again.

I'm glad I told her tho
Reply 96
Anonymous

I was raped by my brother. It started when I was 11. Every saturday my parents would go grocery shopping leaving me in the care of him (he's 4 years older than me), taking my younger sister with them. We were considered old enough to stay at home, out of the way. He would take me to my bed and rape me. He did this nearly every saturday until I was 15. Sometimes it wasn't just sex, but acts I can't even bear to commit to words. My family had a lot of turmoil going on for years, my dad had been clinically depressed for years, and committed to a mental hospital twice. When he wasn't in the hospital there would be huge arguments between him and my mother, often my dad would leave the house screaming he was off to commit suicide. So my family was hanging by a thread. My brother used this to manipulate me, saying that if I told anyone, it would destroy the family and we'd be taken into care. So, as far as I could see at the time, there was nothing I could do to stop it. When it did stop it coincided with him getting his first girlfriend (at 19). Istead of abusing my sexually from then on, he abused me mentally, saying that I was worthless, stupid and there was no point in hoping to go away to university as mum and dad couldn't afford to send me even if they wanted to.

I had never told anyone of what happened until November last year, when I finally told everything I could remember in drips and drabs over a few weeks, to my boyfriend of 5 years, who has helped me immensely, comforted me as I've sobbed endlessly and punched walls. What finally made me confront my past was my boyfriend questioning some awful things I was doing, which with councelling have made me realise that what I was doing was recreating my own abuse. Because I had never faced my past and bee running from it for nearly a decade, I continually recreated it (unconsciously of course), previous abusive boyfriends being one of the means. Simultaneously, and again unconciously, I set out to make myself unattractive. I cut myself (the scars of which I still have) and by the time I was 14, I weighed 18st, efforts at the time to repel my brother. I still carry nearly all that weight, but have now begun gradually to lose it (understanding this now, of course makes it all the more upsetting when I do get abuse from men hurled at me in the street because of my weight). The fact that I had gone away to university and been sucessfull academically meant nothing to me before, I still felt worthless, ugly and repulsive, but now I've finally been able to unburden myself, I've begun to move on.

I've always known I could never tell anyone in my family. My parents are now in their sixties and I don't think they could handle it, even if they believed me to begin with. Because of this, I have to play happy families with them, to an extent. It is no coincidence that out of my brother and sister, I am the one who moved furthest away. I go home as little as I can, which hurts because I miss my sister and mother, who is becoming frail and needs more help around the house. But when I do go home, my mother invites my brother over for a kind of family reunion, and I have to sit and make small talk with a man who raped me over 200 times over the course of nearly 5 years. He now has a wife and child and I have to pretend to be an interested aunt. If I fail to send birthday/christmas gifts, my parents ask me why I haven't, and tell me to send things to him/them. I don't know if anyone else but me really knows what it feels like to send gifts to your rapist.
As soon as my parents die, I will be able to sever all contact. But until then, I have to keep up an act for their sakes. In a couple of years, my boyfriend and me would like to get married. If we run off and have a little wedding, just us and friends, my parents will be crushed. If I invite my parents, my brother will have to attend to.

Worst of all for me though, is the simple fact that the bed I have at my parent's house is the same bed that all this happened in, and when I go home tto visit, I have to sleep in that same bed.

To all the girls here who have had terrible experiences, I urge you to tell someone, anyone you feel you could trust with your life, or failing that, a councellor, someone impartial. It took me 10 years to finally tell someone, and I genuiely feel that I began to live my life that day.

:mad: that is plain horrendous and vile! I'm really glad that your boyfriend is so supportive and things are going well with you two :o: you definitely deserve so much more! (hugs)
Anonymous

I cried reading your thread. I can't even begin to imagine what that must be like. I don't even know what to say.
*hug*
Reply 98
I haven't read all 5 pages of this post but I think this is a brilliant idea. For some reason I have been cursed with horrible things in my life: Molested by my older brother for 5 years, abusive stepfather, I've been raped 3 times by people that I don't know. The list goes on but those are the most prominent. But the way that I think about it, I was also made a strong person, which is why I'm not posting anon. I've spent the majority of my life helping people through similar situations.

The thing that I've found helps the people the most is confrontation believe it or not. You can't accept things and forgive if you do not have closure, as the thread poster is dealing with now. I had a breakdown the last time my brother molested me, I had it in front of him and I got my answers and everything stopped, I was 14 when that happened. Closure is something that is necessary, until you have it you just speculate. Some people feel like it's at least partially their fault and some people pretend that it didn't happen. But denial and faulty blame placed on yourself does nothing but perpetuate flashbacks and stress.

I still get nightmares about what happened and I still have flashbacks, but it doesn't bear on my mind like it used to. There's only so much that you can do about something like that. But it did happen and it did have a lasting effect on you. You need to find the best way to deal with it.

If for some reason anyone just wants some one to talk to about something like this with someone that's been there, please feel free to email me, it's always good to have someone that knows what you're going through. My email is [email protected].
Reply 99
OP here. (Of this thread).

I am crying uncontrollably.

I have read every single post since page 4 from my last post and I am so grateful for you all to have shared.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending