The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well I could only stick being a housewife if I had young kids to run around after. If there were no/older kids I'd be bored stiff, but I'd have my hands full if there were young uns. Plus whilst I do love mental stimulation and academia and everything, it's quite bad for me (since I overthink everything anyway). Less mental stimulation could possibly be good for me :yes:

We should form a club :biggrin: It's such a shame. Before he realised quite how troublesome I was, my tutor told his then-Junior Research Fellow that my tute partners and I were his best ever intake :eek: I'm not so sure he'd say that now, fond as he is of me... :rofl:

I think it would be worse with small children though....that's probably just me and why I'd be a terrible parent though. Couldn't stand the lack of people to talk too! I could just cook all day...that'd be fun. And educational. Ish....
What should we call this club? And should there be badges? A secret handshake? The clubhouse is sorted - combibos :p:
Reply 6821
tarnishedpenny
True! Would have saved a lot of effort in that case though.....:wink:
The odd thing is I couldn't think of anything worse than being an actual housewife! When do you start full on PhD-age or has it already started?

I start work at the beginning of next month - rather tragically, I'm quite excited. At the moment, I'm sitting around, twiddling my thumbs, waiting for various inductions and whatnot.
tarnishedpenny
I think it would be worse with small children though....that's probably just me and why I'd be a terrible parent though. Couldn't stand the lack of people to talk too! I could just cook all day...that'd be fun. And educational. Ish....
What should we call this club? And should there be badges? A secret handshake? The clubhouse is sorted - combibos

Well I really can't stand small children and am not particularly looking forward to becoming a parent one day... but they are at least time-consuming :p: Lack of people to talk to is a point. Though there's always TSR :biggrin:

I'm not sure what the club should be called. Something that sufficiently sticks two fingers up at Oxford. There should definitely be badges and a secret handshake :yep:

Mmm, Combibos :love: I went there for breakfast with a friend the other day (literally just got the coach to meet that friend in Combibos and go back home again :awesome: ) and Rob (aka Mr Combibos :cool: ) was so puzzled, saying he thought I'd left and that they'd never see me again! :biggrin:

I spent far too much time (and money) in there, clearly... :ninja:
Reply 6823
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Well I really can't stand small children and am not particularly looking forward to becoming a parent one day... but they are at least time-consuming :p: Lack of people to talk to is a point. Though there's always TSR :biggrin:

You could always not become a parent... There are too many people on the planet anyway, having a child is terrible for the environment.
(edited 13 years ago)
Teebs
You could always not become a parent... There are too many people on the planet anyway, having a child is terrible for the environment.

:biggrin:

That's true, that's true... Though I would like to have kids. I just avoid responsibility like the plague, that's all :p:
cpchem
I start work at the beginning of next month - rather tragically, I'm quite excited. At the moment, I'm sitting around, twiddling my thumbs, waiting for various inductions and whatnot.

I know that feeling well. I started early because once I'd got to Bristol I was bored stiff :p: I don't even know which group you're moving into? Now I shall know MANY Bristol chemists
Reply 6826
Bekaboo
I know that feeling well. I started early because once I'd got to Bristol I was bored stiff :p: I don't even know which group you're moving into? Now I shall know MANY Bristol chemists

I was vaguely tempted to ask if I could start work early, but given all how spread out all the hall-based inductions etc. are, and then the departmental safety blah... I thought it might actually be more trouble than it would be worth. FYI, I'm moving into the Lloyd-Jones lab... although exactly what I'll be doing there is still a mystery :yep:
cpchem
I was vaguely tempted to ask if I could start work early, but given all how spread out all the hall-based inductions etc. are, and then the departmental safety blah... I thought it might actually be more trouble than it would be worth. FYI, I'm moving into the Lloyd-Jones lab... although exactly what I'll be doing there is still a mystery :yep:

Of course, I forgot I'll see you at all that!!
Reply 6828
Every vac. I discover a collection I didn't know I was meant to be preparing for.
Moving back to college tomorrow :smile:
Reply 6830
Dionysia

Bit early.
Got some work to do. And organ/choir stuff.
Dionysia
Got some work to do. And organ/choir stuff.

I'm back already as well, got the option to start tutorials in September, which I took.
Dionysia

I am jealous. :unimpressed:

Really, really missing Oxford at the moment.
(edited 13 years ago)
Got the verdict back on my appeal yesterday: the examiners definitely received the medical certificates but unless I can prove malpractice, the proctors aren't willing to ask anymore questions about how they were used in the marking :nah:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6835
Athena
Bloody typical of Oxford, tbh. Sorry Shak...

:ditto:

It's the main similarity between Oxford examiners and the pope; apparently they're infallible.

:sadnod:
cpchem
:ditto:

It's the main similarity between Oxford examiners and the pope; apparently they're infallible.

:sadnod:

Fun fact: The papal entourage just drove past my house. I was staring disapprovingly as they went by.

I can't believe it's nearly the end of September, the summer's gone stupidly fast. Looking forward to getting back to Oxford, in a slightly perverse way I miss the intense pace. Having said that, I give it until the end of 1st before I'm back to complaining about essay crises.
icysquall
Fun fact: The papal entourage just drove past my house. I was staring disapprovingly as they went by.

I can't believe it's nearly the end of September, the summer's gone stupidly fast. Looking forward to getting back to Oxford, in a slightly perverse way I miss the intense pace. Having said that, I give it until the end of 1st before I'm back to complaining about essay crises.

Argh I really really want to be back but am totally dreading the work. Having had a year abroad I really miss Oxford life but I was meant to be making the most of this year to read extra stuff, reread the stuff I read in 2nd year, make good revision notes, do my extended essay... of course I've done none of the above, and not even the 2 essays I have to hand in in 0th. And I have collections for which I'm utterly screwed. I don't even have much of an excuse - my YA was fairly busy but I've been home since June doing very little. I am just so **** at making myself do work. This next year is gonna be a misery.
I went Pope-stalking yesterday to Hyde Park :jebus:

The exam thing is annoying but ultimately it's more the system's fault than my chief examiner's. Tbh, I never expected anything to change and I think it would have been an insult to most of my year group had I got a 2.1. I just wanted to make the point that I knew I'd been treated badly by the system and that they knew it and that I knew they knew :biggrin:

dinkymints
I am just so **** at making myself do work. This next year is gonna be a misery.

Remember that this year is as much (if not more so) about you enjoying your last year at Woosta as it is about Finals :yes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6839
cpchem
Alumni have always been welcome around here. It's not our fault if current students are being slack at posting :tongue:

I'm sorry, I'm in Italy for the summer so have very limited internet access! Sorry for doing something productive with my life.

I'm back in Ox next Sunday to plan freshers' week for Mertonians! Woo! Also to do all that vac reading I haven't started.

Latest

Trending

Trending