The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dinkymints
Depends on college. At mine it was £200 a year (off battels, which ends up looking quite anti-climactic when divided over 3 terms) plus £60 one-off (most of which went on gown)... though can't complain really!!

Yeah, see here...

http://www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk/acatalog/Oxford_University_Student_Gowns.html

Wait til you get back to get it tho as you can then get fitted properly etc / buy one off someone who's leaving maybe...

Thanks, I'll have to look into that. It doesn't say anything anywhere on the college website, which is annoying... But damn that gown looks good :biggrin:
Reply 7761
Original post by Incarnadine91
I'm currently trying to work out if there are any monetary benefits to go with my scholar's gown, and if so how much. It doesn't seem to say it anywhere though. I never really looked before now because I was certain I hadn't got it...

I don't want to get your hopes up just in case they've changed it this year (although I guess it's unlikely), but last year I got £200 and a £25 book voucher. And then there's the gown, but of course you're expected to pay for it yourself.
Original post by bysshe
I don't want to get your hopes up just in case they've changed it this year (although I guess it's unlikely), but last year I got £200 and a £25 book voucher. And then there's the gown, but of course you're expected to pay for it yourself.

Yay, that's awesome! Thank you!
I got an email saying they are going to give me a £75 book gift card. I now have £175 worth! (From collections too.) I have no idea what to do with them...
Reply 7764
Original post by meatball893
I got an email saying they are going to give me a £75 book gift card. I now have £175 worth! (From collections too.) I have no idea what to do with them...

buy every maths book ever ? :tongue:
Original post by meatball893

Give them to me - unlike mathmaticians, I actually use books :tongue: (Oh, and well done)
Reply 7766
Do you have to wear this gown?
Original post by refref
Do you have to wear this gown?

Nah - a friend of mine is a music scholar and could have had the whooshy gown all this year, but he chose to have the commoner's one instead. But most people like having the big one if they can, it's admittedly a bit of a status symbol but it also looks damn cool :biggrin:
I do joint honours. One of my subjects had two prelim exams, the other one had four. In four out of six exams, I got firsts. (2/2 for subject number one.) Unfortunately the other two results were passes, but pretty dire. My tutor contacted me to tell me that they had nominated me for an exhibition. Much celebration &c..

Then our bitch senior tutor veto-ed it and said they'd reconsider next year.

:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
I was wondering how many colleges have a scholars' ballot for room allocation in 2nd/3rd year. At Hilda's for finalists scholars get 1st pick of the rooms - as far as I can work out there are about 30/40 in a year and only about 60 rooms in college. The rest are on Iffley road, meaning that essentially if you don't get a first you are shunted out of college. With the wide disparity between the difficulty of achieving a distinction in subjects at Prelims especially (about 35% get them for E&M whereas only about 10% for languages) it just doesn't really seem fair...

By the way I don't want to you think that this is some kind of sour grapes or anything - I'm thrilled with my 2:1 and pleased for my friends with distinctions, but I really dislike the idea that college blatantly prioritises those who are 'more likely' to succeed later on at the expense of others. I think if we could accommodate all finalists in college grounds it would be fine, it's just the inconvenience of living out.
Reply 7770
Original post by pinstriped.flower
I was wondering how many colleges have a scholars' ballot for room allocation in 2nd/3rd year. At Hilda's for finalists scholars get 1st pick of the rooms - as far as I can work out there are about 30/40 in a year and only about 60 rooms in college. The rest are on Iffley road, meaning that essentially if you don't get a first you are shunted out of college. With the wide disparity between the difficulty of achieving a distinction in subjects at Prelims especially (about 35% get them for E&M whereas only about 10% for languages) it just doesn't really seem fair...

By the way I don't want to you think that this is some kind of sour grapes or anything - I'm thrilled with my 2:1 and pleased for my friends with distinctions, but I really dislike the idea that college blatantly prioritises those who are 'more likely' to succeed later on at the expense of others. I think if we could accommodate all finalists in college grounds it would be fine, it's just the inconvenience of living out.

We don't have a priority room ballot for scholars at Mansfield even though around half of our finalists also live in off site college accommodation. The only people that get priority rooms are the President and Vice President of the JCR and people who need them because of disabilities.

I would raise the issue with your JCR (if that's possible). I wouldn't expect too many scholars to volunteer to give up that privilege though.
Reply 7771
Original post by kuntimagee
I do joint honours. One of my subjects had two prelim exams, the other one had four. In four out of six exams, I got firsts. (2/2 for subject number one.) Unfortunately the other two results were passes, but pretty dire. My tutor contacted me to tell me that they had nominated me for an exhibition. Much celebration &c..

Then our bitch senior tutor veto-ed it and said they'd reconsider next year.

:frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

That's really harsh. I'm sure you'll get your scholars gown eventually. :smile:
Original post by doivid
We don't have a priority room ballot for scholars at Mansfield even though around half of our finalists also live in off site college accommodation. The only people that get priority rooms are the President and Vice President of the JCR and people who need them because of disabilities.

I would raise the issue with your JCR (if that's possible). I wouldn't expect too many scholars to volunteer to give up that privilege though.

Yeah, I remember at the beginning of last year there was a motion about it but it was really poorly explained they hadn't really thought through anything like people with medical reasons etc or who it would affect. I know, what with it being such a high percentage of people, I just don't know... but scholars get all sorts of privileges like money, prestige, gown etc.

For second year no, but I've heard rumours - nothing solid - that scholars get preferential treatment in the third year ballot at Catz. Not that that makes much difference, as the second years get the best rooms anyhow, and the college is big enough that pretty much all of us can live in no problem. As a third year you're most probably going to get a room with a sink in the Old Quad, preferential treatment or no.
Reply 7774
For second year no, but I've heard rumours - nothing solid - that scholars get preferential treatment in the third year ballot at Catz. Not that that makes much difference, as the second years get the best rooms anyhow, and the college is big enough that pretty much all of us can live in no problem. As a third year you're most probably going to get a room with a sink in the Old Quad, preferential treatment or no.

At Magdalen the third year ballot is a reverse of the second year ballot. Can't imagine why you'd do it any differently.
Original post by BJack
At Magdalen the third year ballot is a reverse of the second year ballot. Can't imagine why you'd do it any differently.

I suppose that's fairer but balloting for each year still makes sense, because it means your accomodation isn't decided on one random result. I would be a bit pissed off if I were first in your second-year ballot, because I'd know I'd be last next year. At least with ours there's equal chance for both.

The way it works at Catz (because we live in all years of our course) is that second-years get a ballot for the en suite rooms in the New Quad, which all but the people at the very bottom of the list get; then third-years ballot, picking up the best rooms in the Old Quad (mostly large rooms with a sink, but with a smattering of en suite for the lucky ones); and then when the freshers arrive they get randomly allocated what's left. The fact that while most freshers get the small 'box' rooms, a good minority get sinks, en-suite or even second-year accomodation, should tell you that there's enough for all the older years to have a good room - even with two ballots. I don't think I know a single second- or third-year who ended up with a box room...
Reply 7776
I suppose that's fairer but balloting for each year still makes sense, because it means your accomodation isn't decided on one random result. I would be a bit pissed off if I were first in your second-year ballot, because I'd know I'd be last next year. At least with ours there's equal chance for both.

But if you were pissed off at being last in the 2nd year ballot you'd be pleased about being first in the 3rd year (even if everyone seems to go for the same NB room for that). :wink:

COI: I seem to be one of those 'unlucky' people in 'random' ballots so more randomness especially when relatively small number of events is not the answer! :tongue:
we have reverse alphabetical ballot for 2nd year (with some exceptions choosing first - music students, various JCR positions, people who've lived out etc) and then alphabetical order ballot for 3rd year, i was particularly annoyed because i'm not living on a corridor with my friends because i was right at the bottom but it does mean i'll be right at the top next year and will have a better room for finals, yay. tbh there's no way of balloting that is completely fair, and in every system someone gets pissed off with something (me with this because i'm unfortunate with my surname) but i think alphabetical ballot seems reasonable to me. i'm just SO glad we don't have an academic room ballot.

At Worcester there is room for nearly everyone (especially when you take into account people who choose to live out). There's no academic element - it's (supposedly) random in first year, then in second year you ballot in a group and the room grades from 1st year for the group are averaged and then you're allocated rooms accordingly. In the 3rd/4th year the same happens again and you have to put down all previous room grades. However, there is a huge range in 1st year rooms and basically none in subsequent years, so it pretty much always goes on 1st year grades for your subsequent years but essentially it's mostly just about whether your group will get the building you put first, but they're all of a similar (good) standard apart from a few unlucky people...

I think the group balloting is a really good system as it means you get to be with friends, although a small number of people get screwed over as things just don't fit (this was me in 2nd year - I was essentially given the least consideration out of the whole year, none of my preferences for group/building etc were met even though I had the worst building in 1st year which for some reason didn't have as low a grade as it should have). Obviously if you have a rubbish 1st year room and ballot with people who had really good ones you might get pushed down the priority list, but you'll be living with friends at least, and people seem to like to live with people they've lived with in 1st year anyway....

Where did you get this 10% figure for language distinctions from? Admittedly my year at Worcester are ridiculously good, but even across the uni it's definitely a lot more than that. 25% at least I'd say. That was evident when they used to publish pass lists publicly... unless it's changed loads since then. I can't seem to access examiners' reports to check but I'd be hugely surprised... But there do seem to be loads of scientists with distinctions, as they set the percentage...
At Worcester there is room for nearly everyone (especially when you take into account people who choose to live out). There's no academic element - it's (supposedly) random in first year, then in second year you ballot in a group and the room grades from 1st year for the group are averaged and then you're allocated rooms accordingly. In the 3rd/4th year the same happens again and you have to put down all previous room grades. However, there is a huge range in 1st year rooms and basically none in subsequent years, so it pretty much always goes on 1st year grades for your subsequent years but essentially it's mostly just about whether your group will get the building you put first, but they're all of a similar (good) standard apart from a few unlucky people...

I think the group balloting is a really good system as it means you get to be with friends, although a small number of people get screwed over as things just don't fit (this was me in 2nd year - I was essentially given the least consideration out of the whole year, none of my preferences for group/building etc were met even though I had the worst building in 1st year which for some reason didn't have as low a grade as it should have). Obviously if you have a rubbish 1st year room and ballot with people who had really good ones you might get pushed down the priority list, but you'll be living with friends at least, and people seem to like to live with people they've lived with in 1st year anyway....

Where did you get this 10% figure for language distinctions from? Admittedly my year at Worcester are ridiculously good, but even across the uni it's definitely a lot more than that. 25% at least I'd say. That was evident when they used to publish pass lists publicly... unless it's changed loads since then. I can't seem to access examiners' reports to check but I'd be hugely surprised... But there do seem to be loads of scientists with distinctions, as they set the percentage...

I would like a group balloting system - I think it's one of people's biggest concerns to be living with their friends.

The only examiners report for Prelims modern languages I can easily find was 2008, but for both French and Spanish (separately) it was 13% distinction. For 2009 it was even lower or the same. I can't find the most recent ones. It shocked me too... Is there any kind of comprehensive list of prelims/mods results? I mean I know about the routine arts/science divide..

Latest