Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post Here if You're Procrastinating - The Oxford Chat Thread Mk2

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I applied and won some crap because peeps like my research. Which always amuses me, the idea that I "research" rather than drink copious amounts of Scotch and type like a crack addled monkey.

I can't really censure that kind of behaviour, I mean my family has a pretty mental history (and Wikipedia!) in the old country when it comes to feuds.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Lyceum)
    I applied and won some crap because peeps like my research. Which always amuses me, the idea that I "research" rather than drink copious amounts of Scotch and type like a crack addled monkey.

I can't really censure that kind of behaviour, I mean my family has a pretty mental history (and Wikipedia!) in the old country when it comes to feuds.
    I'm sure if the crack addled monkey put his mind to it he'll be fine :awesome:

well it all seemed to turn out fine.. think it's just I've come from a 'Now look here, sir!' Victorian-esque, throwing gloves down and huffing and puffing, storming round rooms in your smoking jacket type of upbringing when it comes to dealing with arguments and fallouts haha so systematically beating someone up seemed a bit odd :holmes:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

ohhh, you're not by any chance going to AMPAL? My friend's sister went last year
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was at a coffee place directly outside of Magdalen the other day, the Moroccan place...do not recommend.
    Do you mean the Oxford Rendezvous? I love that place, if only for the fact that it is the Fawlty Towers of coffee shops. It is kind of hilarious sitting there with a cup of coffee and hearing them talk to some innocent tourist who has wandered in: "no, we don't have the salmon for the smoked salmon bagel... no, no cheese... we have soup though?" and it turns out to be good ol' Heinz tomato soup for about £6 a pop.

If you want to work over a coffee it's brilliant, though, cos it takes 20 minutes for your coffee to get to you, and they don't kick you out if you nurse it for 2 hours.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I went to the Rendezvous once, in the early afternoon on a weekday. They had run out of coffee. It was amusing.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a very vague question which will probably get vague answers, but for those studying/having studied humanities (in particularly history and languages), during term time when there are not a lot of exams etc, how long were you expected to revise in your spare time per day, not including writing essays etc? I know I will probably eventually find out myself, but I just don't want to put too much on my plate, thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frey)
    This is a very vague question which will probably get vague answers, but for those studying/having studied humanities (in particularly history and languages), during term time when there are not a lot of exams etc, how long were you expected to revise in your spare time per day, not including writing essays etc? I know I will probably eventually find out myself, but I just don't want to put too much on my plate, thanks!
    Do you mean revise for exams? I didn't really start doing revision in any structured way until four weeks into the vacation before the Trinity term in which I had Finals. My time before that was pretty much filled up with class work, essay writing and theses (I wrote two rather than one). If I saw a book that was relevant to my previous courses I might pick it up and flick through it, but not much more than that. On the other hand, being very History-specific, the Disciplines course really forces you to think about issues with relation to all of the topics you've done, so I guess you 'revise' in some sense whilst working on that.

My one piece of advice for revising history is: read new things! I had, bizarrely, a lot of fun in the run up to Finals because I was actually learning new stuff. If you did your notes well at the time, revising the stuff you already studied should be the work of a few afternoons. It's getting the interesting angles and tidbits that makes revision both fun and (I hope, will let you know on 9th July...) effective.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoVis)
    Do you mean revise for exams? I didn't really start doing revision in any structured way until four weeks into the vacation before the Trinity term in which I had Finals. My time before that was pretty much filled up with class work, essay writing and theses (I wrote two rather than one). If I saw a book that was relevant to my previous courses I might pick it up and flick through it, but not much more than that. On the other hand, being very History-specific, the Disciplines course really forces you to think about issues with relation to all of the topics you've done, so I guess you 'revise' in some sense whilst working on that.

My one piece of advice for revising history is: read new things! I had, bizarrely, a lot of fun in the run up to Finals because I was actually learning new stuff. If you did your notes well at the time, revising the stuff you already studied should be the work of a few afternoons. It's getting the interesting angles and tidbits that makes revision both fun and (I hope, will let you know on 9th July...) effective.
    ok, thanks. I think the best thing is to be organised then!

I'm the same with revising about 4 weeks before, any serious revision before then I forget, anything later is too late!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    What was up with the guy running about in a cape earlier?

Also, I came out of the Bod just now to find that they were shutting all the external doors. What the hell?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What was up with the guy running about in a cape earlier?

Also, I came out of the Bod just now to find that they were shutting all the external doors. What the hell?
    It's on holiday hours now - I think it shuts at 7pm.

I was disconcerted going in a couple of days ago to find all the books in the LRR had been moved around to take up the journals' space, and they hadn't changed the signs yet. Cue confusion and looking a little stupid wandering around in a meandering circle...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdmundB)
    Cue confusion and looking a little stupid wandering around in a meandering circle...
    Sadly, that pretty much perfectly described me when I accidentally went into Tesco instead of Sainsbury's a couple of weeks ago. Yes, I mean the small (but bigger than tiny Sainsbury's) Magdelen St one. It's so confusing when things aren't where you think they'll be!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Open days are so fun! I have spent the last two days standing outside Merton hustling open day visitors in.

Home tomorrow though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoVis)
    If anyone else needs to transfer their Oxford mail to gmail, here are the details needed to set up import:

http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/nexus/email/pop.xml

Success!!!
    I've got as far as downloading all my nexus mail into thunderbird, but I'm a bit stuck as to what to do next. Is there a way of transferring it all into my hotmail account? Once my nexus expires on 1st July will I lose everything in thunderbird?

I don't entirely understand what thunderbird does or is used for, as you may be able to tell... I get the impression that you've sussed it, so any help would be appreciated!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tabbycat1)
    I've got as far as downloading all my nexus mail into thunderbird, but I'm a bit stuck as to what to do next. Is there a way of transferring it all into my hotmail account? Once my nexus expires on 1st July will I lose everything in thunderbird?

I don't entirely understand what thunderbird does or is used for, as you may be able to tell... I get the impression that you've sussed it, so any help would be appreciated!
    I hope this isn't too late to be of help - I've been a bit busy over the past few days.

As far as I can tell, 'Thunderbird' is kind of like 'Outlook Express', in that it is an email programme that you download in order to access and organise emails - unlike hotmail, which is a remote-access webpage. If you've managed to download your nexus emails into thunderbird, you can then save them directly to your hard-drive. To do this you go 'View settings for this account' and then click 'synchronisation and storage'. There should then be a tick-box that allows you to instruct Thunderbird to save a copy to your computer (it was automatically ticked on mine; it probably will be on yours too).

I haven't figured out how to transfer it all to my hotmail or gmail account (I did managed to export all my received mail to gmail, but not my sentbox), although for me this wasn't really the issue - I just wanted to make sure I had records of all the emails I'd sent and received over the past three years. I'm a historian and obsessed with archives, I fear! So I'm afraid I can't help you there. Possibly, however, you could synch your hotmail account with Thunderbird (the same way you synched your nexus account) so then you've got everything all in one space, so to speak?

I am a completely un-computery person, so anyone who does have technical knowledge, please forgive my lay-person's attempt at figuring this out!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just got my mods results. Not a first or anything, but loads better than I expected! :woo:

Can't even say how relieved I am. Good luck to the rest of you waiting for results!
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LtCommanderData)
    Just got my mods results. Not a first or anything, but loads better than I expected! :woo:

Can't even say how relieved I am. Good luck to the rest of you waiting for results!
    PRSOM. Well done, you! :awesome: :party: :danceboy: :ymca: :banana: :dance: :cool: :yeah: :woo: :awesome:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

PRSOM too. They must have long memories, I'm pretty stingy with my repping
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Well done!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    PRSOM. Well done, you! :awesome: :party: :danceboy: :ymca: :banana: :dance: :cool: :yeah: :woo: :awesome:

(Original post by shoshin)
    PRSOM too. They must have long memories, I'm pretty stingy with my repping

(Original post by Fallen)
    Well done!
    Cheers, guys!

Also, Fallen, the reason I didn't say hi to you in that lecture when I said I'd say hi to you was because I missed it due to oversleeping
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers, guys!

Also, Fallen, the reason I didn't say hi to you in that lecture when I said I'd say hi to you was because I missed it due to oversleeping
    If I remember correctly, I did the same! Such commitment we show...
Updated: April 29, 2013
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.