Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post Here if You're Procrastinating - The Oxford Chat Thread Mk2

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 15-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackmb)
    I have a 2:1 degree. Yay!

Congrats to everybody else!
    Me too, so so relieved!!

Congrats to you and everyone else, and everyone with Mods/Prelims results too!
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystic123)
    Me too, so so relieved!!

Congrats to you and everyone else, and everyone with Mods/Prelims results too!
    Well done! :awesome: :woo: :danceboy: :yay: :congrats: :party: :dance: :yeah: :awesome:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
    Nothing compared to having an actual degree from Oxford but I just got my Prelims results and I (scraped) a distinction So happy right now.
    What's required for a distinction?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    Well done - me too! Wasn't expecting that at all
    Well done! What were your best modules? A few of my literature papers were distinctly average but luckily paper I saved me. Haha Paper II was a bit of a fail for me!

(Original post by Salliana23)
    Well done! Amazing that you both got distinctions, can't believe how may papers Modern Languages people had compared to everyone else...
    I actually think it helped in the end - it meant that some of my lower marks didn't have as much weight as if I had done just three and did badly on one. During the week you kinda get in the swing of doing exams

(Original post by Fallen)
    What's required for a distinction?
    Well for languages you can get a distinction in specific components of the course - all linguists take 2. (I did French and Further French topics while others did French + Spanish etc...) You get a distinction if you average 70 in a component (normally 3-4 exams)

A distinction also refers to getting 70% overall (normally 7-8 exams)

It varies from subject to subject though (Modern languages is a bit of a weird case because there are so many exams) - some subjects need you to get like a 68% average with nothing lower than 60 and at least one 70+ mark.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well done! What were your best modules? A few of my literature papers were distinctly average but luckily paper I saved me. Haha Paper II was a bit of a fail for me!
    Paper II was my best, actually — I (and my tutors) thought I'd do better in linguistics, but that was the best one overall. Paper III was my worst, which I sort of expected, but it would be nice to know what marks we got for each question, just so I knew if my Beckett commentary really was as bad as I thought it was! Can't complain though
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nag o ma Scylla)
    Paper II was my best, actually — I (and my tutors) thought I'd do better in linguistics, but that was the best one overall. Paper III was my worst, which I sort of expected, but it would be nice to know what marks we got for each question, just so I knew if my Beckett commentary really was as bad as I thought it was! Can't complain though
    It would be good to know specific marks for essays. I have a feeling certain essays pulled up my marks in a few exams. I felt my paper IV went much better than commentaries but I got the same mark for both...it's so hard to gauge how they will react to your work. My guess for what I got for paper I was off by 20 marks (thankfully!)

It's all a bit strange: this first year has gone by so quickly and miraculously it's all worked out...

I've chosen Modern French Linguistics for next year...I hope linguistics will be something I find rewarding - it seems to divide people's opinions...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing compared to having an actual degree from Oxford but I just got my Prelims results and I (scraped) a distinction So happy right now.
    ME TOO :eek:

and I got 71 on the paper that I thought I'd be lucky to scrape a 2:1 on...eek swishy gown next year <3
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flywithemma)

and I got 71 on the paper that I thought I'd be lucky to scrape a 2:1 on...eek swishy gown next year <3
    Well done! :banana: :awesome: :woo: :party: :yay: :banana:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen Modern French Linguistics for next year...I hope linguistics will be something I find rewarding - it seems to divide people's opinions...
    Well, it does seem to be true that it divides opinions, but I think it's really useful to know some of the workings involved in language in general as well as just 'a language'. And it's nice to study something more scientific rather than just literature and culture (although that depends on what you like I suppose!). Obviously I'm biased, but linguistics is fun

Well done! Swishy gowns are great fun
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    passed my prelims, yay. rather irked, though, because it seems like i could've gone for a distinction if i had had the right mindset from the start, but hopefully i can confirm this ambition for something more valuable than a swishy gown over the course of the next two years [/pipedream]
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCarmady)
    passed my prelims, yay. rather irked, though, because it seems like i could've gone for a distinction if i had had the right mindset from the start, but hopefully i can confirm this ambition for something more valuable than a swishy gown over the course of the next two years [/pipedream]
    Well done! Not to worry about not having had the right mindset at the start. Sometimes things just click in second year, or even third year, and you can take it from there. You also have more motivation because the exams count and you want a good final result :yes:

Your smilies:

:awesome: :woo: :banana: :danceboy: :party: :awesome:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Well done Emma, great news :clap2:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

Congrats!!!! Yay swishy gown
    Haha it is so hard to tell how things went. I always tell myself there's no point in trying to estimate how well I did because most of the time I'm wrong but I can't help it. Case in point - on one paper I thought I got a low 2.i when I actually got 83??! I'm still hoping it's not an administrative error!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Your smilies:

:awesome: :woo: :banana: :danceboy: :party: :awesome:
    May I have some smilies please, TLG? :love:

I got a First in Finals and am going to Cambridge!

Also just got married... is there a bride smiley?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:

THAT'S JAWESOME!

Congratulations. :lol: To all of you in general actually, here is a shark.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone actually talking about..?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What are these swishy gowns people are talking about? :')

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattRay94)
    If you get a first in prelims, or if you're a choral scholar, you get to wear a scholar's gown, which is bigger and swishier and therefore infinitely better than a commoner's gown. Given your course and college, the chance that you'll get one is somewhere close to 100%.

(Original post by Theafricanlegend)
    What is everyone actually talking about..?
    :goaway:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattRay94)

Well all undergraduates in first year wear a commoner's gown and then if you do well in first year you get a fancier 'scholar's gown'.

http://www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk...ent_Gowns.html
    • 90 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoVis)
    May I have some smilies please, TLG? :love:

I got a First in Finals and am going to Cambridge!

Also just got married... is there a bride smiley?
    Of course!

:woo: :awesome: :danceboy: :yay: :congrats: :party: :ymca: :macarena: :dance: :yeah: :cool: :crazy: :jumphug: :woo:

Congratulations on both counts! A huge achievement with regard to your grades. Wishing you a long, healthy, happy and prosperous marriage

:jumphug:
Updated: April 29, 2013
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.