The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bax-man
I'm back in Oxford tomorrow, and there's so much to do: look into signing up to a course in the Language Centre, apply for internships and try and organise a the hire of a portable miniature railway (that's a shameless plug for the 2013 Exeter College Ball).

When will the ball be held?

Also, miniature railways?! Is there some kind of transportation theme?
Reply 8881
Original post by sosotalk
When will the ball be held?

Also, miniature railways?! Is there some kind of transportation theme?

There's no fixed date yet, but traditionally the summer ball is held in 0th week of Trinity Term.

(The theme's something like - trademarks permitting - The Orient Express. Sadly, the college is too small and awkward to have the train go around the whole site, but the Fellows' Garden's a decent enough size.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8882
Seriously tempted to put a box of Celebrations in each college kid's pidge to help them make friends when they arrive. If this is what college paternity does to me, God help me when I have real kiddies. :awesome:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
They should really get better filtering so we don't get stuff aimed at postgrads...

Did you get the email from Sophie Marnette? I'm quite apprehensive about Medieval...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Ooooooh you're French medievalists! I love SM and HS, especially the latter. Excuse me for butting in on your conversation, but which topics are you covering?

And don't worry about there being too much to do - we have it easy compared to many of the modernists, in that our texts are generally much shorter and so can just be pretty much re-read before writing an essay...
Original post by pinstriped.flower
Ooooooh you're French medievalists! I love SM and HS, especially the latter. Excuse me for butting in on your conversation, but which topics are you covering?

And don't worry about there being too much to do - we have it easy compared to many of the modernists, in that our texts are generally much shorter and so can just be pretty much re-read before writing an essay...

I must admit that was partly my motivation for choosing Medieval, even if things like Le Roman de la Rose aren't exactly light reads....

Sophie Marnette has always scared me a little for some reason....

I have a few questions about the paper if that's ok?

How good at reading Medieval French you actually have to be? Is it hard? (I'm doing the other Medieval paper though which requires a translation so either way I won't be neglecting the medieval language)

Are essays supposed to be focused more on secondary reading and the topic in general rather than specific texts?

Would you recommend doing the whole paper in 2nd year or splitting it between 2nd and 4th? I was thinking that it'd be nice to delay the second half for 4th year to minimise the amount I forget come finals. I also have the other medieval paper this Trinity so I feel I might be all Medieval-ed out if I do all of paper VI this year as well.

I've chosen to do:
Early:
Verse romances (Chrétien de Troyes)
Prose Romances - La Mort le roi Artu
Early Lyric
Fabliaux
Le Roman de la Rose

Later:
Other narratives - Jehan de Saintré (Chosen totally arbitrarily)
Later lyric poetry
Theatre

Sorry for inundating you with questions! I'm just a bit worried about Medieval - much more so than any other aspect of FHS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nag o ma Scylla

Yes, I get the feeling that it's more onerous than any of the other papers because there's a lot more to read? It certainly feels like the most important at the moment, but I suppose that's because nearly all my summer reading has been for paper VI. It's the only literature paper I'm doing - I imagine you're doing others though?

I'm doing Early Modern Authors as well (Racine and Molière)

My reading has consisted of Paper VI, Racine and some introductory stuff for the Modern French Linguistics paper. I'm actually really liking linguistics so far -even simple things like learning the phonetic alphabet and reading about some of the characteristics of French phonology have given me a whole new insight into the language. I can see why The Other Place has linguistics in the first year of the MML course...
I must admit that was partly my motivation for choosing Medieval, even if things like Le Roman de la Rose aren't exactly light reads....

Sophie Marnette has always scared me a little for some reason....

I have a few questions about the paper if that's ok?

How good at reading Medieval French you actually have to be? Is it hard? (I'm doing the other Medieval paper though which requires a translation so either way I won't be neglecting the medieval language)

Are essays supposed to be focused more on secondary reading and the topic in general rather than specific texts?

Would you recommend doing the whole paper in 2nd year or splitting it between 2nd and 4th? I was thinking that it'd be nice to delay the second half for 4th year to minimise the amount I forget come finals. I also have the other medieval paper this Trinity so I feel I might be all Medieval-ed out if I do all of paper VI this year as well.

I've chosen to do:
Early:
Verse romances (Chrétien de Troyes)
Prose Romances - La Mort le roi Artu
Early Lyric
Fabliaux
Le Roman de la Rose

Later:
Other narratives - Jehan de Saintré (Chosen totally arbitrarily)
Later lyric poetry
Theatre

Sorry for inundating you with questions! I'm just a bit worried about Medieval - much more so than any other aspect of FHS.

Don't worry (about the questions and the course). SM can appear a bit scary, but she is really lovely and gives excellent feedback on essays. I did Fabliaux, Early Lyric, Chansons de Geste, Verse Romances (Marie de France), Farces, Charles d'Orléans, Christine de Pizan and Alain Chartier. I wish I had done hagiography instead of some of the poetry, and perhaps more theatre in general, but I loved the Fabliaux, Farces, Chartier, Christine and Marie. The lectures are really great as well - go to as many as you can at the beginning, even if you're not studying the specific topics as it's really helpful for background knowledge. Especially if Huw is doing any this year!

Well.. normally you would do your period paper in Michaelmas/Hilary 2nd year, and it is good to get it out of the way. There is no real benefit I don't think to splitting it, but I don't suppose it would matter that much if you had to. I thought I heard that SM was going to be on sabbatical in Michaelmas, but if you're having a meeting with her, then presumably I'm incorrect. Anyway, I'm a keeno medievalist and doing all medieval French, so I study Roland, Tristan and Villon anyway, and I'm planning on doing my special subject on the Rose.

Which other medieval paper - Paper III? I don't do that as it's just for French soles, but I would if I could!

I'm doing lyric poetry, narrative poetry, verse romances (Tristan), prose romances and humour from the early topics, and lyric poetry, narrative poetry and François Villon from the late topics. Just went for the standard-sounding ones and the entertaining-sounding ones :tongue:

Sounds good! I'll ignore the growing suspicion that I haven't paid enough attention in my reading (usually for ten minutes on the train on my way to work at the moment ...) and look forward to it :biggrin:

Yes, I get the feeling that it's more onerous than any of the other papers because there's a lot more to read? It certainly feels like the most important at the moment, but I suppose that's because nearly all my summer reading has been for paper VI. It's the only literature paper I'm doing - I imagine you're doing others though?

I don't think there much more for us to read than the others.. I mean at least we can read two or three short stories, whereas modernists have to read two or three novels...
Original post by pinstriped.flower
Don't worry (about the questions and the course). SM can appear a bit scary, but she is really lovely and gives excellent feedback on essays. I did Fabliaux, Early Lyric, Chansons de Geste, Verse Romances (Marie de France), Farces, Charles d'Orléans, Christine de Pizan and Alain Chartier. I wish I had done hagiography instead of some of the poetry, and perhaps more theatre in general, but I loved the Fabliaux, Farces, Chartier, Christine and Marie. The lectures are really great as well - go to as many as you can at the beginning, even if you're not studying the specific topics as it's really helpful for background knowledge. Especially if Huw is doing any this year!

Well.. normally you would do your period paper in Michaelmas/Hilary 2nd year, and it is good to get it out of the way. There is no real benefit I don't think to splitting it, but I don't suppose it would matter that much if you had to. I thought I heard that SM was going to be on sabbatical in Michaelmas, but if you're having a meeting with her, then presumably I'm incorrect. Anyway, I'm a keeno medievalist and doing all medieval French, so I study Roland, Tristan and Villon anyway, and I'm planning on doing my special subject on the Rose.

Which other medieval paper - Paper III? I don't do that as it's just for French soles, but I would if I could!

Thanks for the info!

I meant the Roland/Villon/Tristan paper - that requires a translation/commentary right? The language in Villon isn't too far off modern French though.

I think for Paper III I can avoid doing medieval translation because they have a wide range of passages from different periods.

Oh wow, are you doing all medieval topics for Spanish as well?
I love Molière! Nearly picked him ...

Glad you like linguistics, given that some people get on with it and others (for some reason! :tongue:) don't. Quite a lot of Prelims phonetics was learning the phonetic alphabet - I think it started off as everyone's favourite topic last year. I've almost come to the point where I can't imagine studying a language without knowledge of linguistics, though.

I thought the humour of Molière would balance out all the unrequited love and death in Racine :tongue:

Studying a bit of phonetics has really helped with some nuances of pronunciation - and it's nice to be able to actually use the little phonetic bit in dictionary entries now! It'll no doubt take time to soak in all the information from the introductory book.

Were the Prelims linguistics topics all general or was there also a focus on your language of study?
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks for the info!

I meant the Roland/Villon/Tristan paper - that requires a translation/commentary right? The language in Villon isn't too far off modern French though.

I think for Paper III I can avoid doing medieval translation because they have a wide range of passages from different periods.

Oh wow, are you doing all medieval topics for Spanish as well?

Ah, I see. Yes, you have to do the translation and commentary as well, but it's not too bad. SM's lectures on Old French are really useful, and you will find that it just isn't too difficult to pick up. Everyone wants to do Villon apparently, because it's the most recent, but he is a b*tch to translate, and so it might be better to persevere and do Roland or Tristan.

I'm doing Spanish medieval period paper and Golden Age special authors (I wanted to study Cervantes...)

But I love the interdisciplinary aspect that comes with medieval so much earlier than with other periods - perhaps it's because the texts are so old, but I feel you have to have a greater understanding of historical background, history of writing and the book, and general context..
Reply 8890
I had lots of maths to do today. So I made instant friend kits for my college kids instead. :biggrin:
Original post by dbmag9
I had lots of maths to do today. So I made instant friend kits for my college kids instead. :biggrin:

I might have to steal that idea, but my other college kids from last year might get jealous!

It only recently dawned on me that I'm now a grandmother. I feel old...
Reply 8892
I thought that as time went on, I'd get better at packing and gradually reduce how much stuff I take but the car was fuller than ever today. :s-smilie:
Original post by BJack
I thought that as time went on, I'd get better at packing and gradually reduce how much stuff I take but the car was fuller than ever today. :s-smilie:

I was really proud of myself for clamping down on my natural hoarding tendencies and reducing my packing by two boxes - but we still struggled to fit everything in the car, even moreso than coming home last time! Then I remembered that last time I wasn't actually in the car, which would account for the reduction in space...
Another piece of Oxford exceptionalism bites the dust.

From June 2013 Oxford graduands will be invited to a specific degree day. I think the implications are that it will be expected that you graduate either in person or in absentia on that day and that if you do not accept that invitation, there will be no guarantee of when you might be able to graduate in person in the future.

Gone will be the idea that you choose when to take your degree.
I'm having my 3rd or 4th existential crisis since I graduated Oxford. It really does instill in you the necessity for a clear, focused life plan, doesn't it? It's been 4 months and I'm still nowhere. :sad:
Original post by pinkpenguin
I'm having my 3rd or 4th existential crisis since I graduated Oxford. It really does instill in you the necessity for a clear, focused life plan, doesn't it? It's been 4 months and I'm still nowhere. :sad:

:jumphug:
Original post by nulli tertius

From June 2013 Oxford graduands will be invited to a specific degree day. I think the implications are that it will be expected that you graduate either in person or in absentia on that day and that if you do not accept that invitation, there will be no guarantee of when you might be able to graduate in person in the future.

Yeah, I'd heard about this. Worryingly, one of the potential dates clashes with a family wedding. :s-smilie: I'm still inclined to prioritise graduation though - I've been looking forward to it for so long! I guess it'll be nice if it means that everyone from the same college graduates together, but frustrating in terms of organising what I might be doing over the summer.
Reply 8898

For once I agree with your traditionalist stance! :tongue: This is inevitably going to cause a great deal of inconvenience for a not inconsiderable number of people.
Reply 8899

It's also not hugely well thought-out, from what I've seen of it. The 'specific graduation day' doesn't include graduate students (it may include MSt, but certainly not DPhils) meaning that if you want a DPhil graduation ceremony (and I think doctoral students certainly earn them!) you end up being 'mopped up' by any spare spaces left over from the provisions made mainly with undergraduates in mind. From what I've heard each college is given spaces on a set number of days sufficient to graduate all of their undergraduates in a given year. Which of course begs the question of what to do with everyone else...

The other problem is that there seems to be a similarly haphazard process for 'mopping up' people who left Oxford before 2013, but didn't graduate before then. I'm hoping to graduate with my husband but he needs to be given leave to supplicate for his DPhil before he can sign up to a date, meaning that we might not be looking to book graduation until 2013... by which point we are both at the 'end of the line' in terms of priority after all of the 2013 graduands. Essentially: graduate soon, 2012 leavers!

It also confuses me that I only know about this because I actively asked the person in charge of graduations in college. Balliol didn't send out a single piece of info to leavers about how to graduate. :rolleyes: Are other colleges like this, or is it just mine?!

That said, all of the above problems can probably be solved by the usual nepotism of talking to the graduation officer in one's college.... :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending