The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lacrimatra

It's on Laclos - 'Les Liasons dangereuses is a moral novel about immoral people'. Fun times... I do actually quite like the novel, there just seems to be almost too much to write about it!

Ha, my Laclos essay went along the lines of 'Les Liaisons dangereuses is an immoral novel about immoral people". So kind of the opposite to the statement in your statement.

How are you finding the run-up to Prelims? Any idea of what Finals papers you're going to take?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9941
I agree! I did get an extra one-on-one tute on gen phil but I still always feel like the course is catered for PPEists and I'm the add-on. It also means that I basically have no choice in gen phil as to which topics I'm doing because I've only actually been taught four topics out of the six (where four is the exact number we can choose).

Yeah, that's exactly my point. I think they should try to find a way of giving us a special course that nobody else gets - the MathsPhil, PhysPhil and CompSciPhils all get one! And PsychPhil and PhilThe both have their exams in Hilary. So we're kind of hte odd ones out.

You have no idea how useful all this is! One of the main reasons for joining TSR was because (during my procrastination of French) I was just thinking "hmm, I wonder which Philosophy topics to do next year" and I thought I'd ask a few people around here about it. So thank you. I like the look of LogLang and K&R. My college dad was saying I should do Descartes to Kant but, to be honest, I'm not so keen on the look of the course. I really like ancient philosophy too... There are just so many things out there, it's hard to narrow it down - especially without having properly studied any of it before.

I wouldn't worry too much about Descartes to Kant. It's generally taught pretty badly (unless you're at Hertford and get Peter Millican to teach you all about Hume, but I figure you're probably not based on what you've said) so you tend just to do two to three random topics on three philosophers and you don't really get the broad overview they claim you will. I did it, and I wouldn't go back and change that because I didn't want to do either Plato or Aristotle and I do feel it's been useful to get the background in Early Modern Philosophy, but if you'd prefer Plato, then definitely go for that.
Original post by starkrush
Doing 5 essays in 4 days is not only amazingly impressive, it should be adequate for your tutors to see that you will do the work and should stay. Do your best to keep up but don't get yourself too down - that workload is absurd and you're doing fantastically to keep up this much! :smile:

Thanks! I'm still a couple of essays behind so it's just a case of keeping up the motivation now! :smile:
Original post by fluteflute

Went to Combibos for the first time today! Absolutely flooded with Christians...

You've only just been to Combibos now?!?! :hmmm:

Still, better late than never :ahee:

Thank you for the welcome, guys! And wow - congratulations, I guess. Age is a subjective thing. I mean, I used to think students were grown-up...

No worries :biggrin: Same, I used to think 25 was REALLY REALLY old. Now that I'm nearly there, I'm trying to convince myself that it's not THAT old :teehee:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Ha, my Laclos essay went along the lines of 'Les Liaisons dangereuses is an immoral novel about immoral people". So kind of the opposite to the statement in your statement.

How are you finding the run-up to Prelims? Any idea of what Finals papers you're going to take?

That's probably where my essay's heading in the end, I think! The problem with studying philosophy and getting a question like this is that I'm probably going to spend half the essay questioning what morality actually is...

This term is deceptively calm for now - I've got about half the work I had last term. I feel like I should be revising but my exams aren't for another seven weeks so revising now just seems a bit pointless if I'm going to have to 're-revise' everything in a month anyway!

I'm not exactly sure about Finals papers yet (so much choice!) but I love the Enlightenment so probably Early Modern Literature and anything that lets me study Voltaire. I also like the look Molière and Sartre but I'm wondering whether I should perhaps look at a writer whom I've never properly looked at before just because I want to keep my options open.
That's probably where my essay's heading in the end, I think! The problem with studying philosophy and getting a question like this is that I'm probably going to spend half the essay questioning what morality actually is...

This term is deceptively calm for now - I've got about half the work I had last term. I feel like I should be revising but my exams aren't for another seven weeks so revising now just seems a bit pointless if I'm going to have to 're-revise' everything in a month anyway!

I'm not exactly sure about Finals papers yet (so much choice!) but I love the Enlightenment so probably Early Modern Literature and anything that lets me study Voltaire. I also like the look Molière and Sartre but I'm wondering whether I should perhaps look at a writer whom I've never properly looked at before just because I want to keep my options open.

Yes Trinity term of first year is weird because in some ways you have less work but on the other you kind of have more, because you feel like you're supposed to fill up the freer timetable with revision...

I'd thoroughly recommend Molière. You could perhaps do the Early Modern Authors paper and study Molière and Voltaire in depth...
Reply 9946
Woah, last few posts, crazytimes.

New thread titles:

Dude, where's my gown?: The Oxford Chat Thread Mk.III

What do you mean, a half-hour walk?: The Oxford Chat Thread Mk.III

Don't you dare call it 'Lava Ignite': The Oxford Chat Thread Mk.III

I lived in the real world once...: The Oxford Chat Thread Mk.III
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9948
BAM, last post. I nominate TLG to make the new thread.

EDIT: new thread is : "Dude, where's my gown?": The Oxford Chat Thread Mk.III
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending