The Student Room Group

Ex Royal Marine Pt 2

Ok went to the college, and talked to a advisor, which was very helpful concerning higher education, mainly HND in electrical and electronic engineering, or a foundation degree in electrical engineering. I said that my main concerns are my lack of GCSEs but i do come from a signals back ground in the marines and as part of a reseattlement package i did a telecoms course in cabling/ fiber optics etc. He said he should not foresee any problems in it as i have studied at a level 4, even though it was just a 2 month course and because of my life experience and the things i have done in the marines, but he is gonna check with the head of engineering department and get back in touch with me, he took a copy of my cv and other certs, and will get back in touch with me in a couple of days time and just go from there.
Will keep you up dated, but all in all a positve experience.:smile: :smile: :smile:
That all sounds really good. If you've got a bit of time on your hands and want to do some preparation, you might consider looking up online what the various GCSE and A level syllabuses are. Then you will have a good idea about how your experience compares with the exams. You will know if you have any gaps - which I doubt at GCSE level, and probably won't be there much at A level either. That way, if you get asked for an interview, you can be a lot more confident about what you can do, rather than worry about what you can't do, which is probably not very much.

In my experience, the reputation ex-military have for being organised and focussed makes them a very good bet for educational establishments - if we set ourselves to do something, we do it. Makes us easy and satisfying students to teach - and so offers are made despite gaps in formal qualifications.
Awesome mate, good to hear. Keep us posted!

Latest

Trending

Trending