The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

fairy spangles
to be honest im sick of argueing with a narrow minded 17 year old.
really an analogy wouldnt have thought that :rolleyes: .
your talking statistics im not its simple we arent on the same level so stop resorting to pretty minded - you shouldnt be a medical student GTFO the medicine forum threats because sunshine they just dont wash with me.

You must be getting desperate to pull out the age card.

You can't spell but I don't pull that one out on you.

fairy spangles
there we go again - im wrong so you must be right.
we must agree to differ then.
you decide things reference statistics
i draw on life experiences and have optomism so the half full glass approach.

You've admitted you know nothing about Oxford admissions... so stop advising people on Oxford admissions.

You're wrong... so yes I must be right. Well done. It certainly took you long to work that one out.

Life experiences?? You did not apply to Oxford. You have never experienced Oxford admissions. You have not researched Oxford admissions. So STFU and GTFO.
Make a list of unis and visit visit visit!

Make sure you do your UKCAT early too!

There are certain medical schools where you shouldn't even dream of applying without more than 640.
fairy spangles
im wrong so you must be right.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Well done :borat:
In all fairness, she can have a go at Oxford if she wants. She might get a bad-ass BMAT score, you never know. Looking back before applying, I was far too realistic. I never thought I would get in. But I was looking at 3/3 interviews and 2/2 offers (I withdrew from the other 2). So optimism is good, as long as it isn't misguided.
Your GCSEs are fine for oxford, as long as they see your progressing it shouldnt hinder it too much, so dont listen to people who say they rule you out. If you have a strong statement, AS grades and other test scores you'll likely get an interview. Besides its one out of a few, its worth a try just so you dont regret it. In many ways places like Imperial and other top London unis are as hard (if not harder for some) and in many ways better than Oxford. Its not the be all and end all

On the opposite end of the spectrum, also look at biomed courses as a back, as most the medicine hopefuls at our school last year had to take this route. Just dont choose all top unis would be my advice. Hope it helps
fairy spangles
why are you still so narrow minded??

Fairy Spangles I think you are missing the point, normally for a some of the subjects at Oxford you would be right.

However for medicine at Ox, the university itself has announced how it short-lists for interviews:
They use a combination of the % of A*s at GCSE (e.g getting 6 A*s and 4As would be 60% A*)and your score in the Bmat.

E.g if you get 90% A*s at GCSE you need to be in the top 55% of the Bmat scores.

The OP has about 10-15% A* and so would have to achieve in the top 5-10% in the BMAT. This test is extremely difficult and therefore the chances of achieving such a score is possible but slim.

What Toilet Paper and isometrix are saying is that it would be wise,therefore, not to use up one of her 4 medicine choices on Oxford.
Reply 66
miss_mia
Sorry did not see this post.

Course type: Integrated
Near/Far: Not bothered
City/Campus: Campus
Intercalating: Don't mind
BMAT: Just another test TBH...

Nottingham sprang to mind straight away, your GCSE's exceed what they ask for. Southampton as well perhaps, it's not a 'campus' uni like Nottingham is but the med school is just over the road from the main campus. Leeds also ticks your criteria as does Newcastle and Leicester.

In terms of applying to Oxford, I think fairy spangles and Toiletpaper both have good points. If you really want to go to Oxford OP, and you'd regret it if you didn't have a shot, then apply. But, like Toiletpaper says to be in the top 3% of the BMAT would be incredibly tough. When scores above 20 are considered very, very good, to be in the top 3% I'm guessing you'd probably have to have a score approaching 30. But I think I re-call seeing a post saying you weren't too bothered about where you went as long as you study medicine. If this is the case, probably give Oxford a miss as you have great GCSE's that would put you in good stead at other, equally good, medical schools.
Toiletpaper8
You must be getting desperate to pull out the age card.

You can't spell but I don't pull that one out on you.

You've admitted you know nothing about Oxford admissions... so stop advising people on Oxford admissions.

You're wrong... so yes I must be right. Well done. It certainly took you long to work that one out.

Life experiences?? You did not apply to Oxford. You have never experienced Oxford admissions. You have not researched Oxford admissions. So STFU and GTFO.

1. i was not on about or was ever on about statistics. Im on about the person you talk about systems.
2. oxford was just an example who cares what uni it is?? thats whats called life experience.
3. age card its all about statistics remember??
4. im dyslexic you ****.
hammerman66
Your GCSEs are fine for oxford, as long as they see your progressing it shouldnt hinder it too much, so dont listen to people who say they rule you out. If you have a strong statement, AS grades and other test scores you'll likely get an interview. Besides its one out of a few, its worth a try just so you dont regret it. In many ways places like Imperial and other top London unis are as hard (if not harder for some) and in many ways better than Oxford. Its not the be all and end all

On the opposite end of the spectrum, also look at biomed courses as a back, as most the medicine hopefuls at our school last year had to take this route. Just dont choose all top unis would be my advice. Hope it helps

Have you even looked at how Oxford allocate interviews? :rolleyes:
hammerman66

christ almighty i've never seen so many wrong statements in one post.
hammerman66
strong statement, AS grades

Not included in shortlisting procedures.

Once you have achieved the minimum requirements its all on GCSE A* number and BMAT score for interview shortlisting.
Reply 71
hammerman66

DOGMATISM! Google it.
Reply 72
Alex D
Nottingham sprang to mind straight away, your GCSE's exceed what they ask for. Southampton as well perhaps, it's not a 'campus' uni like Nottingham is but the med school is just over the road from the main campus. Leeds also ticks your criteria as does Newcastle.

i thought of leeds as well but i was too lazy to edit my post haha.
OP, there you go. 4 universities for you to consider. Leeds is a good one; it's a nice city, they don't send you too far for clinicals, cheap to live in and the med school's good.
fairy spangles
1. i was not on about or was ever on about statistics. Im on about the person you talk about systems.
2. oxford was just an example who cares what uni it is?? thats whats called life experience.
3. age card its all about statistics remember??
4. im dyslexic you ****.

You're actually a medical student?? Are you sure you're not pulling my leg there? :p:
Toiletpaper8
Have you even looked at how Oxford allocate interviews? :rolleyes:

After being coached on Oxbridge applications by a private mentoring scheme, yes, I have a fair idea
hammerman66
After being coached on Oxbridge applications by a private mentoring scheme, yes, I have a fair idea

People seriously do that?
Reply 76
hammerman66

:rofl:
hammerman66

Well you weren't coached very well because you're talking complete ********.
There's a fair bit of conflicting advice on this thread, here's what I know:

Oxford give out a number of automatic interviews. This is based on your BMAT score, and the amount of A* you have at GCSE. With having few A*s, you're going to have to perform very well on the BMAT to get one of these, however it is possible. I would recommend doing an example paper close to the final deadline for your choices, and see how you do. If you do well, then it could be a good choice.

However, that's not all. As well as automatic interviews, Oxford also go through every single application before rejecting it, reading references, PS, etc., and adding ~20 extra people I think. If you believe you've got something very special to give, such as a phenomenal PS, or even if your heart is just set on it, it could be worth the risk.

Hope I could be of some help.

miss_mia
Course type: Integrated

But Oxford isn't integrated... :unsure:

fairy spangles
i really dont agree with you here.
if you want to do something but dont know if it will work out then hell go and have a go. if you fall flat on your face at least you can say i tried.
do you really wanna look back on something in 20 years time and say i wish i would have done....................

its not just for the hell of it really - can you imagen what the opening thread person would feel like if it came true??

okay what are my chances of getting in then??

That's not the point. The person posted here looking for advice, not reassurance. If you can't give it, you're not going to be of much help.
WTF!!!

PEOPLE THIS IS MEDICINE WE@RE TALKING ABOUT!!!

EACH SCHOOL REJECTS >80% OF ITS APPLICANTS IF THEY CAN SEE AN EASY REASON TO REJECT YOU THEN THEY WILL!!!

AND FOR MOST SCHOOLS EVERY SINGLE APPLICANT IS PREDICTED 3 A's! AND YOU CAN BE DARNED SURE THEY'LL HAVE A GREAT PS AND MINIMUM 3 A*'s TOO!!!

MAYBE THE CAPITALS WILL ACTUALLY KNOCK IT INTO YOUR THICK SKULLS!

Latest

Trending

Trending