The Student Room Group

Of Mice & Men Help!

Helppp!

How do I revise for of mice and men exam!

GCSE of course.

I have york notes etc but have no clue on how to prepare for it!

Scroll to see replies

Rereading it would be a good start. And then reading the york notes. And then maybe rereading it again.

I all I did in preparation for my exam was reread it..maybe I'm not the best person to give advice.
Reply 2
just listen to your teacher in class

i don't think i ever prepared for it except for that..hmm
i bought this revision book for it its AMAZING seriously
it has everythingg you need to know
everything abotu the characters
breaking down what happens in each chapter
main themes etc etc
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mice-Men-Text-Guide/dp/1841461148
its only £4 its so worth it
I did Of Mice and Men for my GCSE's and bought a study guide on eBay. It's basically a Microsoft Word file and it was so so helpful. I got an A in the exam. I'll look on my laptop for it. Bear with me.
Learn the themes, who the characters represent and the differences between the start of the first and sixth chapters and you're done. The rest is down to your essay-writing skills.
I need help with this aswell :/

Any help would be great (=
my advice would be just learn lots of quotes which you are able to use in the Exam thats what i did and got an A. Obviously you have to be able to explain the quotes quite well aswell but im sure u could ask your teacher for some help on that part!
Well, first of all, buy the book if you don't have it! You can hardly revise for the novella if you don't have it!

Okay, well, for a start, I'm doing WJEC so the following advice will be based on that exam board's requirements.

For John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, there are a number of key things you have to revise:

- How John Steinbeck creates mood and atmosphere in the novel. Think about his writing style, his choice of language and metaphors. He manages to keep the settings rich and vibrant without dipping into Le Carre-esque levels of complexity. His choice of dialogue and his use of environmental description to reflect characters. For example, how he emphasises Crooks' isolation through descriptions of his barn being littered with his belongings. You don't have to go through the entire novel, but you need to have an idea of how he uses language to create his settings, characters, and story.

- You will need to look in depth into every character in the play (not as daunting as it sounds considering there are less than 10.) Crooks, Candy, don't spare any of them. For a really good character response in WJEC, you need to look at how Steinbeck uses a range of narrative techniques, such as description and dialogue, to create each character. Furthermore, you will also need to describe the relations between the characters, like Curley's extreme hatred and resentment of Lennie due to his huge stature. You will also need to look at the wider significance of the characters. For example, look at how Crooks comments upon the treatment of blacks in American society, or how Curley reflects the bullying culture that was so prevelent in the workplace without being noticed.

- You need to remember the basic structure of the novel to the point where you can use examples.

- I almost forgot themes. You will need to be able to identify the key themes of the novel, (in this case I believe it's loneliness, dreams, and prejudice) and explain how Steinbeck develops each of them in depth. Such as how prejudice is explored through Curley's treatment of Lennie, and alot of people's treatment of Crooks. Or how dreams are explored through Lennie, George, and eventually Candy's attraction to the idea of "living offa' the fatta' the lan'".

Yeah, I think that's about it, really. :/ I just gave you a brief outline of the stuff I think you really need to know. You'd probably find it would really help if you could get some revision booklets, as the people who write those can probably explain what you need to know far better than I can.
Reply 9
Your teacher probably will be able to help you on what sort of things will come up. I think i had something on the ending or something about one of the themes. If i remember rightly, there isnt much to learn. MAybe practice a couple of past papers and look at some past papers to see the style of the wuestions and whats come up in the past.
learn quotes, and roughly where they are in the book, its a great time saver knowing what chapter and what side of the book a quote is on.
Reply 11
plasticfantastic
I did Of Mice and Men for my GCSE's and bought a study guide on eBay. It's basically a Microsoft Word file and it was so so helpful. I got an A in the exam. I'll look on my laptop for it. Bear with me.

#
I would love it if you can send it to me :smile:

Anyway I read york notes and read the book about 2 times. I get the story and I know all the plots.

I just get stuck when the ask me about write about so and so. I just dont know what to write them :s-smilie:.
If you could link me too, that'd be pretty awesome :biggrin:
Same here :biggrin:, thanks a lot :smile:
:ditto: with ^ this really has been useful, thanks guys :smile:
Reply 15
She (plasticfantastic) said she might have found it :smile:

After she sends to me I will upload it to my site and post a link here for everyone to download :smile:
i bought of Mice and Men on tape, gave it a few listens in the run up to the exam. Made some notes on the ideas i thought steinbeck explored and that's about it.
Reply 17
I just made sure I knew the story line well and that I knew key quotes.
Reply 18
User12399
She (plasticfantastic) said she might have found it :smile:

After she sends to me I will upload it to my site and post a link here for everyone to download :smile:

If you could send it to me as well it would be great cheers :smile:
You can't really revise for English Literature GCSE... maybe reread the book and try some past papers so you can work on time management and structure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending