The Student Room Group
Lol, yes it will, in certain countries like Turkey or Greece for example.

There's no way it will work in Western Europe or America.

So I doubt it will work in Spain.

You could give it a try though, but I doubt it, because the UK's IMEI blacklist is quite strong.

This is illegal, but your best bet is to change the IMEI of the iPhone if you intend to use it in Spain.
Ask O2 to unblock the thing. If the insurance company don't want it, it's yours.

Alternatively, sell it on eBay as a glorified iPod Touch.
Reply 3
RightSaidJames
Ask O2 to unblock the thing. If the insurance company don't want it, it's yours.

Alternatively, sell it on eBay as a glorified iPod Touch.

They won't do that though, will they?
Brotherhood
They won't do that though, will they?

Why not? You own the thing, it's not as if they're going to accuse you of stealing it if you can prove you are the original owner. After that, unlock it and stick any old SIM in. They might not agree, but it's worth a try.
RightSaidJames
Why not? You own the thing, it's not as if they're going to accuse you of stealing it if you can prove you are the original owner. After that, unlock it and stick any old SIM in. They might not agree, but it's worth a try.

No theyll probably accuse you of insurance fraud. Which unintentionally it is in a way.
Reply 6
Cyrus The Great
Lol, yes it will, in certain countries like Turkey or Greece for example.

There's no way it will work in Western Europe or America.

So I doubt it will work in Spain.

You could give it a try though, but I doubt it, because the UK's IMEI blacklist is quite strong.

This is illegal, but your best bet is to change the IMEI of the iPhone if you intend to use it in Spain.

Really? A mate of mine has sold one to someone in the US and apparently had no complaints. I don't really want to do anything illegal, but thanks. I didn't know the IMEI lists were shared so extensively though?
rorydaredking
No theyll probably accuse you of insurance fraud. Which unintentionally it is in a way.

But if the insurance company doesn't want it.... I've had a lost phone unblocked after an insurance claim before, don't see why you shouldn't be able to do it with an iPhone.
Reply 8
You asked if a "bricked" iPhone can work. With reference to the iPhone, I can't imagine 'bricking' as being anything other than a deep-rooted firmware flaw.

To answer your question, no. A bricked iPhone cannot work abroad.
Reply 9
Oogamy
You asked if a "bricked" iPhone can work. With reference to the iPhone, I can't imagine 'bricking' as being anything other than a deep-rooted firmware flaw.

To answer your question, no. A bricked iPhone cannot work abroad.

I mean barred/blocked/blacklisted, whatever you want to call it.
Reply 10
Brotherhood
I mean barred/blocked/blacklisted, whatever you want to call it.

Well, pardon me for not misusing technical terms.
Reply 11
Oogamy
Well, pardon me for not misusing technical terms.

I'm not having a go, just correcting myself. :wink:
Reply 12
While I'm here, can you unlock an iPhone to use on a temporary stay in another country (i.e. a long holiday) and then come back and carry on with your same old contract?
Brotherhood
While I'm here, can you unlock an iPhone to use on a temporary stay in another country (i.e. a long holiday) and then come back and carry on with your same old contract?

An unlocked phone can be used with any SIM card, including the one you're supposed to use it with :smile:
Reply 14
I know for a fact that a blocked iphone WILL work in Spain 'cos I've done it!
All blocked phones work in other countries beacuse the IMEI blacklist has not been transferred between European nations. Make sure you unlock it from its current provider though. I know this for a fact.
Reply 16
Original post by Brotherhood
My sister "lost" her iPhone, got a replacement and then found it a few weeks later. The insurance company don't want it back. I've heard it's only blocked on UK networks though, so could I take it to Spain with me on my year abroad and use it?

lol, love it! Screw those insurance ****ers.
Reply 17
Original post by Brotherhood
My sister "lost" her iPhone, got a replacement and then found it a few weeks later. The insurance company don't want it back. I've heard it's only blocked on UK networks though, so could I take it to Spain with me on my year abroad and use it?

Take it to an 02 shop with proof that you have originally bought in pay as you go or contract. This can be in the form of your sisters contract papers or official receipts so they should remove the blacklist this way. As long as you can prove 100% that you guys originally bought it.
I think that the opinion,

Latest