The Student Room Group

Gah I've never read a book in my life...Am I suited to AS level English Literature?

Hey all,

I enjoyed GCSE English Literature. At the best of times it was stimulating, rewarding and I was good at it, which was a start. I got an A* in the exams last year. However, I don't know whether I can possibly handle the step up from GCSE to A level because believe it or not, I've never read a complete novel in my life, apart from set exam texts in school of course.

I've tried though, I'm not that lazy not to try but when I do I get through the first page and give up. Books are boring - I sigh! So I'm left wondering if I can handle GCSE English then surely I'll be able to make that challenging step up to A level, won't I? My grammar is OK isn't it?

Do you guys think I'll succeed in A level English Literature?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, as long as you can muster some enthusiasm! You've got a much longer life ahead of you -- which could well be filled with books -- if you're only just choosing your AS-Levels. :smile:
Reply 2
Unlikely.
If you are bored of reading books now... you will HATE being made to read text after text! English Lit has completely killed my love for reading, I've got 6 texts on the go at the moment, of which I hate forcing myself to read :|
I would love to opt for the pure language option instead but I hear that it's not a valued course by universities, which is upsetting to say the least :frown:

I love analysing language, which I don't think is in the specification for Literature, is it?
Floral-x-Florance
I would love to opt for the pure language option instead but I hear that it's not a valued course by universities, which is upsetting to say the least :frown:

I love analysing language, which I don't think is in the specification for Literature, is it?

What do you mean exactly by analysing language? Because you'd surely analyse the language of the literature that you read.
Reply 6
juicyfruit
If you are bored of reading books now... you will HATE being made to read text after text! English Lit has completely killed my love for reading, I've got 6 texts on the go at the moment, of which I hate forcing myself to read :|

I agree.

I know it's not the same thing, but I used to love English and read on average one- or two books a week, I enjoyed English Lang/Lit at A Level but when I started a BA in English in 2007, woooowww I just began to hate everything about the subject. If you don't have the drive and love for English it's not a good idea to take it further!

And English at GCSE is completely different from English at AS.

Maybe consider the alternatives; English Language which is about the structure and science of English rather than what people write, History, Classic Civilisations or another essay based subject...
jismith1989
What do you mean exactly by analysing language? Because you'd surely analyse the language of the literature that you read.

The grammar is a sentence. The way sentences are constructed and language variation (etc)

:smile:
Floral-x-Florance

If you want to do English Language, then do it. I'm sure the admissions dept would rather you get an A in English Lang than fail English Lit... :wink:
Reply 9
You could do Lang/Lit, I suppose... But Literature probably isn't for you if you don't like books.
Reply 10
Floral-x-Florance
The grammar is a sentence. The way sentences are constructed and language variation (etc)

It sounds like a degree in linguistics would be perfectly suited for you; in which case an English A-Level would be much more valuable than English Literature.

What do you want to do after A-Levels?
Reply 11
It's probably not the best choice for you.

Take language instead if thats what you enjoy.
Ok thanks for the advice. I'll try Literature out and if I don't get anywhere with it, I'm sure I'll be able to change to Language.

Honestly, I don't think you're suited to it. I'm in year 13 doing A Level English lit. I got AA in GCSE English but A Level is seriously a lot harder. I've always loved reading and have a flair for writing but it's not easy! I work really hard now and I'm getting A's & B's but you definitely need to be able to read and read a lot at that!

The books we read:

Yr 12 - Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell, Antony & Cleopatra by Shakespeare, Shakespeare's sonnets
Yr 13 - Frankenstein, Dracula, Wuthering Heights, Hamlet, The Handmaid's Tale, Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.
So that's 9 texts, bearing in mind a GCSE you do about 3/4 maybe.

You needs to do loads and I mean LOADS of background reading too, for me it was based around the gothic tradition and genre, renaissance era, then enlightenment era, shakespeare, homoeroticism, sexuality, dystopias etc etc etc

Babe I wouldn't do it unless you're planning on reading as many classic/background texts before you have to make up your mind!
neelios
surely you must have read a book
like when you have done english literature at GCSE level, you would have read to kill a mockingbird or mice and men or something like that???

As I said, I've read set literacy texts set by the school only. I don't read as a hobby because I have always got something better to do that's more 'stimulating' than reading a book.
Reply 15
If you want to start reading books, get something easy like Harry Potter or The Curious Incident Of A Dog In The Night Time..
Reply 16
you're probably not suited no.

that doesn't mean you cannot do it, work at it and get a really good mark though.

tbh most of my friends got As for English Literature and had never touched the book :P

and at gcse that was the same (but i suppose you can get away with it at gcse)
Well, you have to read your coursework texts in particular independently at A level; gone are the days when you sit in a classroom and the teacher reads it all out. You might struggle there if you don't actually like reading because for coursework, or at least on my exam board, you have to read one very traditional text a la Jane Eyre. There is a LOT of independent reading needed for the other modules as well, particularly the A2 ones. There are a lot of people in my own literature class that I know don't read outside of lessons, and as a result they have no enthusiasm in class discussions and don't tend to get great grades.

Really, what is the point in taking literature if you don't like reading?
Reply 19
what are your other a level choices op? and do you have an idea of what you want to do at uni?

Latest