The Student Room Group

Want part time job at pub, no prev jobs? and only diploma from college

I posted here about not hving GCSEs and looking for a part time job while in uni but now that i'm trying to make my CV, i'm confused by a few things..

OK here's my situation...

--- i want a part time job while at uni.

--- i dont have gcses or a levels due to illness through my school years

--- i do have a college dimploma and certificate

--- im i uni studying for a degree

--- I dont have a previous employer or job I can speak of in my CV. I did do commission work from home, and babysat once but i cant name the people, will they want references from them?

--- I dont talk to any of the teachers in my old school anymore and dont want to. Can I ask any lecturers at uni for a reference? would that work?

ALSO: What if they ask me why i dont have CGSEs or qualifications? should i tell them that i was ill? will that put them off giving me th job?

Reply 1
99% of companies will never check references, they are the most pointless thing ever and only show you have 2 mates with offical sounding email addresses. Just write 'References avaliable upon request' at the bottom, Noone will request them.

Tbh mate, in your situation i'd just fake a previous employer. Something really simple like part-time work in tescos whilst you were at school.
Ask your lectures if they will provide references, your tutor and a lecture you get on with. Work as a student ambassoder, go do some bar work at the university or do some voluntary work somewhere and try and get a reference from them.
Reply 3
I don't advise lying in your CV. If you get an interview and they ask you about your previous experience at the job at Tesco, you're going to look like an idiot trying to make something up.
Reply 4
To get into uni didnt you have to sit an english / maths test which gives you a cert?
Reply 5
In college for design part of my course included comm and numeracy skills. I had to pass them in order to gain my diploma. i have my certificate here now and it says:

credits/skills:

research skills
tutorial
communication - speaking and listening
communication -reading and writing
essential access study skills
information tech
improving performance
working with others
problem solving

thats on the actual certificate of my diploma with the credts next to them.

it doesnt mention numeracy even though i passed it.

will this help? should i mention this in the CV or bring the certificate with me to the interview (if i get one)?
Go and ask in the CV Help forum, then we can give you detailed advice about your situation without it having to be discussed in open threads. It can be harder if you don't have work experience, but it is far from impossible, it just takes a little more thinking about. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending