The Student Room Group

Bleeding whilst on the pill?!

Scroll to see replies

I'm on the microgynon 30 pill, and I've nearly finished my second packet, I have 4 days until my 7 day break but ice started bleeding already and I have cramps too, is it possible that my period came early even though I'm on the pill?
To the posters above, they say the whole cycle can be somewhat irregular for the first 3-4 months, but with some people it can really take up to a year for the body to figure itself out. Also, it is perfectly normal for your withdrawal bleeds to be slightly irregular. I've been on the pill for a year and my periods have sometimes come 4 days into the placebo or 1 day into the placebo, or even 2 days before I started the placebo (even though my natural periods have always been super on time).

But I wonder if any of the previous posters had their issues resolved? It would be great to know what the cause was. See, I have had absolutely no issues for an entire year, but this month I am suddenly bleeding all month, more after sex. I've read up on the symptoms and all signs point to "cervical erosion" (aka ectropion), which seems harmless but is just very annoying (imagine being on a mild period 365 days a year!!), and can be fixed either with surgery and/or by switching/getting off the pill. I am devastated, since this pill has been working so well for me from the very beginning - no side effects or anything.

The boyfriend recommends switching to Mirena, but it sounds a little too scary to me.

Would really love to know opinions. I'll be travelling a lot this month, so no doctors for me yet. I know I will wait one more month, then if the problem continues, I'll get off the pill for a few weeks to see if that fixes the problem.
Hiya everyone I have just started my pill which is the same one as you lot are on.
I went on the implant first and I could have that as was bleeding all the time.
I then went on the injection for 3 months and I didn't agree with me
This is why I am now on the pill
However for the first 2 months I haven't had a Period
I want to know if this is normal as I'm not pregnant at all but is wondering why I am not having them
Hi, av been on the pill for 3 week now I have not missed one pill I take them every morning I am also on diaziiipan and anti depressants can these effect the pill? As Am light spotting and my stomach feels swollen?
Thanks
Has this every happened to you i have been on the pill for 2 months i started my period on 5th September and it was my normal but only had them for 3 days then i had to start taking my pill again only been back on them for 13 days and started bleeding again i know you don't want to know this but the night before i started bleed i dont know i started bleeding but me and my partner done the reverse cowgirl and ive been bleeding for 5 days now and i dont why cause ive only been off my period for 13 days and started bleeding again that has never happened to me before i don't know if that's normals or not xx
Reply 45
Finally! I'm not the only one. I started taking the pill (microgynon 30) early 2013 (I was ~16 & 1/2) and around mid august (15) I had a break through bleed. It was the first I've had and I've only ever had this pill. It was light and tiny thought nothing of it. However it's now late September, I've had STD checks all the rest of it and it's got to the point when I'm basically on a constant light period, I mean I'm having to use light tampax everyday just to do my job. Except the cramps are intense too. The only thing they noted was that I have a wide ectropion or sometimes called a cervical erosion. However apparently that's fairly common and the Doctor said it's probably got nothing to do with that. I mean sometimes I've taken pack together, like if my period falls on a holiday or training at work (I do a physical job). But I think it's fairly common for people to do that right. They suggested changing the pill, to legynon? I think, basically the same hormone compound but with I higher hormone dose in the middle week... nothing, Now They've given me tranexamic acid to clot the bleed and mefanamic acid for the pain. and take time off work to rest... what now so now I'm gosing money. Cool. Ive got ~4weeks for this ultrasound appoint to come through in the meantime I really have given up. I've stopped taking the pill. I don't want to pump pills into myself over unexplained bleeding I just want it fixed.
What happened, have you found a solution?
Dis anyone find an answer? I've been on microgynon 30 for over 2 years and all of a sudden, a week before my pills end (or within that week) I'll find like 3 drops of brown blood in my underwear and that'll be it. Sometimes it'll happen for 2 days or maybe only once but I don't know what causes it. I take my pills perfectly and don't do anything to impact them. Also clean of all STDs. The only things I've noticed is that it tends to happen on the months where I get stressed or exercise tons (it doesn't happen every single month). Is my contraception even still working or have I just been lucky to not get pregnant? I feel too afraid to change to something stronger and I don't like the ideas of any other contraceptives so I'd end up doing natural family planning if this symptom is actually really bad? I can't get to a doctor right now (in uni and my doctors are hopeless anyway trying to push the implant). Someone please report back who's been through this? Do I desperately need to change pills or can I ignore it if it doesn't bother me (like some sites say)?
I'm on The pill for 3 years an no I'm bleeding while still on the pill but it's only just started 3 weeks ago but I had scare that might be pregnant because I all the signs of pregnancy but I took a pregnancy test it came back as I'm not pregnant but I'm still getting the things a pregnant woman wud get I'm a 18 year old who's scared help me ?
Reply 48
Original post by Shannon240897
I'm on The pill for 3 years an no I'm bleeding while still on the pill but it's only just started 3 weeks ago but I had scare that might be pregnant because I all the signs of pregnancy but I took a pregnancy test it came back as I'm not pregnant but I'm still getting the things a pregnant woman wud get I'm a 18 year old who's scared help me ?
I've been on the pill for 2 years and I didn't get my last period and I took a test and it came up negative but I'm the same! I feel bloated and really emotional!
Reply 49
Hi everyone,
I have been on the pill for 2 years and last month I had a slight bit of spotting after sex then my period never came. I did a pregnancy test and it was negative and I think I will do another as my period still hasn't come it is nearly 2 weeks late. I feel bloated and emotional, has anyone experiences this before?
Reply 50
Hey, When you first started on the pill, did you have irregular bleeding to start with? I know its common but I've only just started the pill and my "period" came a few days before my sugar/placebo pills, which isn't really the point of the 7 day break.
I am feeling sick and bloated too.
Reply 51
Original post by anomy18
Hey, When you first started on the pill, did you have irregular bleeding to start with? I know its common but I've only just started the pill and my "period" came a few days before my sugar/placebo pills, which isn't really the point of the 7 day break.
I am feeling sick and bloated too.

I didn't, I remember it being pretty regular, this is why I'm scared so much!!
Reply 52
Hi, I've been taking my pill for a while now which is supposed to completely stop my periods, and Ive been having light bleading for quite a while now and not sure whether to see a doctor because it doesn't seem normal to me as it's happened before just 2 weeks before. I'm very good with my pill as I take it at the same time everyday or on the odd occasion a few hours later so I'm just curious what this could be... Any ideas?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Ggbb1998
Hi, I've been taking my pill for a while now which is supposed to completely stop my periods, and Ive been having light bleading for quite a while now and not sure whether to see a doctor because it doesn't seem normal to me as it's happened before just 2 weeks before. I'm very good with my pill as I take it at the same time everyday or on the odd occasion a few hours later so I'm just curious what this could be... Any ideas?

This never happened to me, I've been on two different pills which both made my periods pretty heavy. You should definitely see your doctor because it might just be that that pill isn't suitable for your body. My period is due tomorrow so prayyyying it comes
Reply 54
Hi all, I realise there's been a million and one of these questions but I'm just going to add my own into the mix...

I've been on the Microgynon 30 for a good few years now and I've never had any problems with it. However, for the past 3/4 periods I've had my normal 4 day period but then I have discharge for another 4 days. I've read up a lot about it and apparently it's normal as those 4 extra days are still in my cycle. However, on my last patch of pills, I missed one day. I'm not sure if that's linked to this at all, but that period started a day late, only lasted 3 days and then I never had any discharge. That was a month ago, and I'm due on my next period next week.

Today, I randomly spotted a little light blood on the tissue and I'm a little worried that it might be something bad.The only two things that have changed between this period and last is that one missed pill and the fact that for the past 6 days, I've been on a cleanse/detox thing.

I should also point out that I suffer from quite bad paranoia so you can only imagine my panic when I saw the light pink blood today...

Help!
Reply 55
Original post by titchxox
Hi all, I realise there's been a million and one of these questions but I'm just going to add my own into the mix...

I've been on the Microgynon 30 for a good few years now and I've never had any problems with it. However, for the past 3/4 periods I've had my normal 4 day period but then I have discharge for another 4 days. I've read up a lot about it and apparently it's normal as those 4 extra days are still in my cycle. However, on my last patch of pills, I missed one day. I'm not sure if that's linked to this at all, but that period started a day late, only lasted 3 days and then I never had any discharge. That was a month ago, and I'm due on my next period next week.

Today, I randomly spotted a little light blood on the tissue and I'm a little worried that it might be something bad.The only two things that have changed between this period and last is that one missed pill and the fact that for the past 6 days, I've been on a cleanse/detox thing.

I should also point out that I suffer from quite bad paranoia so you can only imagine my panic when I saw the light pink blood today...

Help!

When I missed my period I was so paranoid! But my periods have been normal ever since. I would say definitely go to the doctors so they can do tests or something to put your mind at ease!

I totally know how you are feeling, I suffer with anxiety and you can only imagine how much worse this made me haha.
Hope everything is okay
Hi I'm on microgynon pill have been for years I take this continuously as it helps control my migraines so I never have a period at the moment I am a little pink when wiping so there is signs of blood is there any way of stopping this spotting as it has given me a migraine
Youre all freaking yourselves out! It can be completely normal to spot while on the pill. I spot if I've been taking it solidly for a couple of months (the most I take it solidly for is 3 months, it won't harm you, I'm on rivegidon and it says you can in the instructions) or if I haven't taken it at the same time every day. Best thing to do is to make sure you are taking it at the same time EVERY DAY or just go straight onto the break for a week if the spotting wont stop. It then sorts itself out, well for me it does. It can also take a good few months for your body to get used to the pill so that can cause irregular bleeding. I used to worry so much about it when I first started taking the pill and used to think ALL sorts of things. But most of the time ladies it's just normal and there's no need to panic
Original post by AnchorCat
Youre all freaking yourselves out! It can be completely normal to spot while on the pill. I spot if I've been taking it solidly for a couple of months (the most I take it solidly for is 3 months, it won't harm you, I'm on rivegidon and it says you can in the instructions) or if I haven't taken it at the same time every day. Best thing to do is to make sure you are taking it at the same time EVERY DAY or just go straight onto the break for a week if the spotting wont stop. It then sorts itself out, well for me it does. It can also take a good few months for your body to get used to the pill so that can cause irregular bleeding. I used to worry so much about it when I first started taking the pill and used to think ALL sorts of things. But most of the time ladies it's just normal and there's no need to panic

Hi lol seems like the pill isn't as easy as its made out to be! I've been put on the same one as you! please can you help me!
I'm starting the pill tomorrow the 15th, I just came off my period yesterday (started from 6th march-13th). Which means if I took no pills I may start earlier, around 2nd april (my cycle is around 26-28 days usually).If I start my first pack of the pill tomorrow, when should my withdrawal bleed be? Also, is it likely to bleed earlier on whilst taking the pill or whilst you take the pill do you ONLY bleed during your "pill free week". Asking because its my first time taking the pill and need to plan around a weekend I don't want to be on (1st-3rd april) Thanks for any help xxx
I was directed by my Gyne to take Microgamy pills to postpond my periods for 12 Days but I'm getting big spots is it normal!Does mean I have received my periods!I'm experiencing clamps like never b4.

Quick Reply

Latest