The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Chemistry / Medicinal Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Kaeroll
As PoisonDonna said, any graduate job is open to you, most of which do not involve chemistry and are too numerous to list here. As an example, apparently many graduates study law and become soliciters for technical cases such as those involving patent law.

Within the subject there are, broadly speaking, two major routes into research: academia (working within a university department) or industry (working in a company such as GSK or AstraZeneca). They're quite different, as far as I know.

Attend a few open days at any chemistry department and they'll almost certainly provide you with much more information.

My intention is to work in an industry. However i was wandering dont they require preliminary work experience in order to get a job. Or would they consider you with a 1st class pure chemistry degree. That is what my concern is. Thanks.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
memenme_1
My intention is to work in an industry. However i was wandering dont they require preliminary work experience in order to get a job. Or would they consider you with a 1st class pure chemistry degree. That is what my concern is. Thanks.

Basically, even if you get a first, you really want something to set you apart from the ther candidates. Just a couple of weeks in any kind of analytical lab can help, just so you can put it on your CV. Especially in these days when jobs are becoming harder to get, and kind of lab experience is useful.
Reply 22
Kaeroll
As PoisonDonna said, any graduate job is open to you, most of which do not involve chemistry and are too numerous to list here. As an example, apparently many graduates study law and become soliciters for technical cases such as those involving patent law.

Within the subject there are, broadly speaking, two major routes into research: academia (working within a university department) or industry (working in a company such as GSK or AstraZeneca). They're quite different, as far as I know.

Attend a few open days at any chemistry department and they'll almost certainly provide you with much more information.

well i have finally made the transfer to Pure chemistry. By the way, did you apply for that Glaxokline smith organic chemistry bursary?
I want to do Medicinal Chem at uni and I chose Sociology, Maths, Physics and Chem for my A Levels, do I need Biology? I'm planning on dropping socio and taking Biology instead (if my sixth form lets me).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending