The Student Room Group

University after 4 years in employment

I have an uncoditional offer to do a foundation year which I obtained by applying through Ucas.
As I have not been in Education for 4 years and instead been in full-time work I am worried I may not remember everything I learned in my GCSE's and A-levels to suceed on the Foundation year and Chosen University course.
I cannot help but contemplate whether or not to go to University as University seems very much for the newly qualified a-level students.
It's not fair as I did good in my A-Levels originally
would appreciate anyones views on such a personal situation
Reply 2
Moved to the mature students subforum, there'll be plenty of people here who are in (or have been in) similar situations.

But you will not be alone, there will be loads of people from a variety of backgrounds and ages so you'll find many other people (especially on a foundation year). Just because you've taken a few years out it doesn't mean you're in any way inferior to the recent A-level students or that you will feel out of place, if that's what you're suggesting? Besides, if you are 22(ish) I really don't think the difference in age is too signficant. I'm 24 (although I started university at 19) and I don't feel out of place.
Reply 3
I was in a very similar situation as you, in the sense that I was in employment for quite a while, and then returned to higher education via a foundarion year. The foundation year was really useful tool for me, it was so rewarding and I learnt so much from it. I wouldn't worry about not being prepared, I passed teh foundation year with good marks, and I hadn't even got A-Levels. That is not to say the soundation year isn't challenging or diffocult, it was at a higher level than I had anticipated, but never the less, with commitment, you should be able to pass it.
Reply 4
Mate i wont worry to much, i am applying to do a HND in engineering and i have been working for 8 years, i do come from a technical background but i have not touched it since being trained, my only knowlege is firing big guns. You will have the advantage from the word go cause you want to be there and so willing to put in the extra hours for study time, where as most students tend to go for further education cause they dont have a clue what they want to do, also doing many different courses with a wide variety of people you will notice that every one has something in common and that is every one hate maths, it should be a progressive learning curve, but dont worry to much, you will not be the only one.
Reply 5
Don't worry about coming back to education after a 4 year break. Doing a foundation year will improve your confidence in academic environment and you will remember the skills you learned at sixth form in no time. If you are really set on studying at university there is nothing that can stand in your way of doing well and, as long as you put the time in and work for it, you will be just fine.
eve_22
Don't worry about coming back to education after a 4 year break. Doing a foundation year will improve your confidence in academic environment and you will remember the skills you learned at sixth form in no time. If you are really set on studying at university there is nothing that can stand in your way of doing well and, as long as you put the time in and work for it, you will be just fine.

Thanks
Reply 7
It's only natural to be a little intimidated by the prospect of going to university after a break in your education, but you really have nothing to worry about. Foundation years are specifically designed to get people up to speed and, as far as I can see, are pretty successful at it as well - I spent last semester helping out in the seminars for a foundation year course, and although the pace is fairly brisk there is a lot of support available to help students get through it.

Also, whilst the majority of students do usually still come straight from A-Level, universities today tend to be far more varied places than they once were; with fairly significant numbers of students from all manner of backgrounds and ages, so you're certainly not going to be alone.

Good luck!
I am in the same situation, applying for a foundation year first as I did my A-levels a few years ago and they were not related to my chosen degree. The foundation year is designed for people like us, so as long as we work hard, it'll be fine.
Reply 9
Hi

I had been out of education for more than 4 years, before I decided to enrol onto an Access Course. I felt exactly like you when I first started, I wasn't sure how I would mange with the workload etc. However, the advantage was I was not alone, others on the course were in the same situation as me. The tutors were very understanding and totally understood my situation, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Doing an Access Course or Foundation course definately prepares you for university, you are exposed to certain skills, including essay writing, study skills and doing presentations. In my experience my fellow colleagues were very helpful and made my time at college worthwhile, the tutors are there to help and I am sure that you will do well when you enrol at college. The first step is always scareist. Best of luck:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending