Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of going to QMUL but worried about the location..?

Announcements Posted on
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't be, it's fine ffs. Mile End is fine; you won't be killed/stabbed. You won't die. You'll like it. Stop being a pussy. Just because it's not in Bloomsbury doesn't make it bad.

It's fine! It's actually quite nice. 99% of what you've heard is overhyped crap, by people who haven't even been there.

Courtesy of Democracy:

Total number of crimes in Tower Hamlets in Feb 09 (this includes Mile End, Stepney, Whitechapel where QMUL is): 1932

Total number of crimes in Camden in Feb 09 (where Birkbeck, The School of Pharmacy, UCL and SOAS are): 2516

Total number of crimes in Lewisham in Feb 09 (where Goldsmith's is): 2329

Total number of crimes in Kensington and Chelsea in Feb 09 (where Imperial College and Heythrop are): 1500

Total number of crimes in Westminster in Feb 09 (where Kings College and the LSE are): 4732 (!!!!)

As you can clearly see, of the major central London institutions of the University of London, Queen Mary is actually one of the safest unis to attend.

Be sensible, take the proper precautions, and you'll be fine. If you ignore Mile End road and go a little deeper, Tower Hamlets is actually quite nice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am living in the Whitechapel area which is quite close to Mile end. I just don't like it at all!! I find it dirty and full of silly ppl who wont help you in the street. Full of silly rude boys. I am glad i will be moving into UCL accommodation in central london.

I find it that bad that i have written it down here regardless of the fact that i will be neg repped by most east londoners. :sadnod:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Don't be, it's fine ffs. Mile End is fine; you won't be killed/stabbed. You won't die. You'll like it. Stop being a pussy. Just because it's not in Bloomsbury doesn't make it bad.

It's fine! It's actually quite nice. 99% of what you've heard is overhyped crap, by people who haven't even been there.
    :ditto::yep:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asif Chowdhury (C.C))
    I am living in the Whitechapel area which is quite close to Mile end. I just don't like it at all!! I find it dirty and full of stupid ppl. I am glad i will be moving into UCL accommodation in central london.

Well that's useful isn't it? Thanks..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I once went to see my friend at Queens for the first time, as I left Mile End station, I saw 2 people stealing chocolate bars for the station newsagent. No one even helped the owner.

I was shocked straight away. I would rather go to Royal Holloway or Brunel Uni instead.

btw ... I go to a better uni than all 3
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Mile End is really nice, I live there. Is it safe? Yes, if your not stupid. You are likely to get stabbed if you are stupid and decide to take dingy alleys when your walking alone in the middle of the night.

But tbh theres people always around the Drapers area/Bancroft road from like 10pm into late night, because thats when the gym closes and the clubbing bunnies (about 100 guys and 3 girls) come in to party :P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Oh and the canal/park is very scenic and awesome for early morning jogging/late night murdering.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, Mile End is basically East Central London. It's like 2 minutes from Liverpool Street Station ffs.

I love the architecture in the Spitalfields area, for the record.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Makes me feel right at home

I didn't mind it from what i've seen..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Well that's useful isn't it? Thanks..
    Sorry, but i guess for the education and the university, regardless of all that (which was just my opinion) i said one should go there. :dontknow:

On the bright side, you can save a lot of money as its quite cheap on this end
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ah i've always loved qmul's campus, although i;m not going there.

Anyway I live round the area and i'm yet to be attacked or stabbed...
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    This should really end the debate.

Total number of crimes in Tower Hamlets in Feb 09 (this includes Mile End, Stepney, Whitechapel where QMUL is): 1932

Total number of crimes in Camden in Feb 09 (where Birkbeck, The School of Pharmacy, UCL and SOAS are): 2516

Total number of crimes in Lewisham in Feb 09 (where Goldsmith's is): 2329

Total number of crimes in Kensington and Chelsea in Feb 09 (where Imperial College and Heythrop are): 1500

Total number of crimes in Westminster in Feb 09 (where Kings College and the LSE are): 4732 (!!!!)

As you can clearly see, of the major central London institutions of the University of London, Queen Mary is actually one of the safest unis to attend.

Be sensible, take the proper precautions, and you'll be fine. If you ignore Mile End road and go a little deeper, Tower Hamlets is actually quite nice.

You might want to add this to the OP Holly...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Isnt it rather close to Shoreditch and Hoxton? They are very trendy areas.
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Isnt it rather close to Shoreditch and Hoxton? They are very trendy areas.
    Fairly close, yeah, a short bus journey away.

Much closer to Canary Wharf/The City though, which is what people often think of when they imagine central London.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How come the entry requirements for Law have been reduced to AAB from AAA?
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SofinaaBabess)
    How come the entry requirements for Law have been reduced to AAB from AAA?
    They've always been AAB to the best of my knowledge...
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    Maybe to encourage more people to apply?
    They don't need to encourage people. It's always been massively over-subscribed,
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the other hand, Economics entry requirements have gone up from BBB to AAB.. quite a steep increase.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    They've always been AAB to the best of my knowledge...
    No last time I checked on their website, which was a few months ago, they were certainly asking for AAA, and a few of my friends offers were AAA (They must've sucked).
    • 69 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expose)
    On the other hand, Economics entry requirements have gone up from BBB to AAB.. quite a steep increase.
    Hmm apparently history's going up to AAA as well...

(Original post by Mos Def)
    No last time I checked on their website, which was a few months ago, they were certainly asking for AAA, and a few of my friends offers were AAA (They must've sucked).
    Lol I'm absolutely positive it was AAB, cause I remember thinking it's one of the only UofL institutes that doesn't want AAA for law.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 28, 2011
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.