The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Thinking of going to QMUL but worried about the location..?

Scroll to see replies

From my short wednesday observation of Mile End I can say that it looks perfectly fine to me.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Democracy
Interesting you say that given that there are no lollypop men in the Mile End road area...

Maybe he THOUGHT he was a lollypop man...:shifty:

Straaanger things have happened...
Bagration
From my short wednesday observation of Mile End I can say that it looks perfectly fine to me.

Ah did you go to the open day? I was meant to but I had to attend a funeral. Were you impressed?
Thanks for this :biggrin:

I'm about to firm QM and I hadn't even heard of it being a, supposedly, rough area before I saw people talking about it on here.
I felt perfectly comfortable both times I visited.

Do you study law? Btw you have an intersting profile
Antonia87
Ah did you go to the open day? I was meant to but I had to attend a funeral. Were you impressed?
I actually was, it was really nice! Very open, lots of greenery, some really impressive buildings, plus it was a nice day. So yeah I was.
Reply 47
fungirl1234
Do you study law? Btw you have an intersting profile

No, I study Investment & Financial Risk Management, for now.
Reply 48
"It's a mess alright
yes it's
Mile End.
And now we're living in the sky!
I'd never thought I'd live so high
just like Heaven (if it didn't look like Hell)
The lift is always full of piss
the fifth floor landing smells of fish
(not just on Friday, every single other day)."

Mile End has character unlike some other parts. Anyone know the rate of burglaries and thefts in Kensington, Chelsea or Bloomsbury*? As someone whose experience of Mile End and the entire east end of London is even more limited than my experience of Bloomsbury, I still feel the problems get exaggerated and UCL students are too busy with their superiority complex and attempts to potray Bloomsbury as a utopia. The worst things can happen in even the best of areas (and are usually more likely to, these are the real areas where the criminals operate for some obvious reasons).

* I see Bubbles has beat me. Really should read threads properly :sad:

Negs from UCL students incomming :p: (do they stalk the QM forum?)

Democracy
x

Spoiler

Reply 49
Mos Def
Oh and the canal/park is very scenic and awesome for early morning jogging/late night murdering.

the canal?!?! scenic?! are you being serious?!:eek:
i've always just assumed theres a few dead bodies floating around in there, along with the hoards of rubbish and occasional duck.
River85
"It's a mess alright
yes it's
Mile End.
And now we're living in the sky!
I'd never thought I'd live so high
just like Heaven (if it didn't look like Hell)
The lift is always full of piss
the fifth floor landing smells of fish
(not just on Friday, every single other day)."

Pulp...Britpop...the 90s....:love:

Mile End has character unlike some other parts. Anyone know the rate of burglaries and thefts in Kensington, Chelsea or Bloomsbury? As someone whose experience of Mile End and the entire east end of London is even more limited than my experience of Bloomsbury, I still feel the problems get exaggerated and UCL students are too busy with their superiority complex and attempts to potray Bloomsbury as a utopia. The worst things can happen in even the best of areas.

Well I did post the crime rates...Camden is far worse an area to be in than Tower Hamlets, based on statistics from Knacker of the Yard.

Spoiler

I have indeed :yes:
LdnShmoo
the canal?!?! scenic?! are you being serious?!
i've always just assumed theres a few dead bodies floating around in there, along with the hoards of rubbish and occasional duck.

Views of the canal are right outside/within walking distance of QMUL, in case anyone *actually* believes it's a murder spot.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 52
Democracy
Views of the canal are right outside/within walking distance of QMUL, in case anyone *actually* believes it's a murder spot.

i didnt suggest it actually WAS a murder spot, just that i wouldnt be too surprised.
Reply 53
And apparently the hoes put out.
Reply 54
Big up the Kensington and Chelsea.

I live in the East London area (ish) so these ridiculous fears always annoy me as well. It's so easy to stay out of trouble.

To the guy who witnessed two people stealing chocolate bars from the station newsagent, on behalf of all East Londoners, sorry for the traumatising experience rofl.
Democracy

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

:O That canal looks so similar to the one in that movie, Bride and Prejudice?!

Do you think it was filmed there?
LdnShmoo
i didnt suggest it actually WAS a murder spot, just that i wouldnt be too surprised.

Well...it's not :awesome:

m:)ckel
Big up the Kensington and Chelsea.

I live in the East London area (ish) so these ridiculous fears always annoy me as well. It's so easy to stay out of trouble.

To the guy who witnessed two people stealing chocolate bars from the station newsagent, on behalf of all East Londoners, sorry for the traumatising experience rofl.

LOL haha, I think we should probably offer them therapy :sadnod:

SofinaaBabess

Not sure tbh...I watched Bride and Prejudice years ago so I can't really remember.
Reply 57
LdnShmoo
the canal?!?! scenic?! are you being serious?!:eek:

You clearly haven't seen it in the early morning of a nice sunny day, it is actually really nice, and most of it is full of people jogging, but you can go really far into Stratford....then it starts to get a bit quiet and lonely.... :unsure:
Reply 58
Democracy

Well I did post the crime rates...Camden is far worse an area to be in than Tower Hamlets, based on statistics from Knacker of the Yard.

Yes. I've just read Bubbles' first post and the figures she provides. But if I may, I'll produce my own analysis using stats from the Crime and Disoroder Reduction Partnership. I will compare three areas that I know well (my own area (which is admittedly semi rural to rural), Newcastle and Durham to London (Tower Hamlets, Camden, Kensington and Chelsea)

National Average (per 1,000 of the population)

Violence against the person 16.2
Robbery offences 1.1
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 2.7
Sexual offences 0.9
Burglary dwelling offences 4.3
Theft from a vehicle offences 6.9

Where I live

Violence against the person 5.8
Robbery offences 0.2
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 1.3
Sexual offences 0.1
Burglary dwelling offences 3
Theft from a vehicle offences 2.7

Durham

Violence against the person 11.5
Robbery offences 0.2
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 1.8
Sexual offences 0.6
Burglary dwelling offences 2.8
Theft from a vehicle offences 3.2

Newcastle

Violence against the person 18.3
Robbery offences 1.0
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 3.1
Sexual offences 1.2
Burglary dwelling offences 6.0
Theft from a vehicle offences 8.8

Kensington and Chelsea

Violence against the person 17.8
Robbery offences 3.7
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 3.2
Sexual offences 0.9
Burglary dwelling offences 6.1
Theft from a vehicle offences 13.3

Mile End (and Camden's pretty much the same)

Violence against the person 31.5
Robbery offences 6.4
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 5.5
Sexual offences 1.7
Burglary dwelling offences 7.4
Theft from a vehicle offences 14.1

So, if you were to rank them, they'd be in the same order

1. Home (significantly below average)
2. Durham (significantly below average)
3. Newcastle (average to slightly above average)
4. Kensington and Chelsea (average to slightly above average)
5. Tower Hamlets (significantly above average) 6. Camden (significantly above average).

Even Kensington isn't a bed of roses, for what's probably the wealthiest part of the country. Certainly the wealthiest urban area in the country. I wonder how people in Kensington would feel if you told them their crime rate is comparable to Newcastle's :p:

At first those stats may not look like good reading. Tower Hamlets/Mile End really is well above the national average. But when you consider that it's in the capital city, where you have a high concentration of people and there'll always be a reasonable level of crime, and that it's no worse than areas like Camden/Bloomsbury. Try telling that to the UCL students :rolleyes:

I admit that comparing any London borough with my own area, Durham and, to a much lesser extent as at least its a decent size city, Newcastle, is slightly unfair. Cities will always have higher levels of crime and London will always have particularly high levels of crime for obvious reasons. But I am doing it for a reason. I think many will look at those figures and probably overplay how safe my area is, or how rough London boroughs are. But I've never been the victim of crime in any of those areas except my own (which, like I said, is a village in a rural area). Tbf, I've lived in this village for 22 years, and the next town for one year (but that was my first year of life). I've also lived in Durham for a year. Anyway, the trouble I've experienced at home was just a couple of assaults and usually from teenage charvs, certainly no serious trouble. But, compared to my home village, I certainly feel safer walking around Newcastle in the late evening, and Tower Hamlets too.

Turning to Durham, this has its problems despite being a pretty, middle class, small city. There's always been the "town v. gown" issue which I really don't want to exaggerate it, or Durham's crime, as I've never had a problem and it's still very safe. But it's still something that should be recognised. I haven't been in Durham much this past year but I've heard that the numbers of attacks on students is starting to increase. Things like ambushing them when on their way home after a night out, damage to property. There's always been thefts of laptops whenever people are stupid enough to leave them next to an open window. I bet there's no real town v. gown divide at Queen Mary? It's a larger area, students don't stand out as much and can belnd in and the locals probably don't give a **** anyway :p:

Anyway, the point of this essay is to show that Mile End is no worse than some other London boroughs, including one which has a certain "G5" university, and that crime stats can be misleading. Many of the incidents that do happen in Tower Hamlets, certainly things like assaults, occur because these people are actually looking for trouble. If you're looking for trouble then chances are you'll get into trouble. But if you're sensible, just go about your business, take the usual precautions then it's unlikely you'll find trouble.

**** happens everywhere, in the best to worst of places. Anyway who overplays Mile End's troubles, and doesn't recognise the crime of other parts of London or other major cities, is just a moron/naive/snob.
SofinaaBabess

Yeah you're so right :O that's what i thought too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending