The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Thinking of going to QMUL but worried about the location..?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Quite upsetting hearing everyone talk about previous years' offers for Politics!

I'm applying for it this year..... AAA.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 81
Original post by Tee.
Quite upsetting hearing everyone talk about previous years' offers for Politics!

I looked at this point and thought what? Then I checked out the Pol website and it actually is AAA now, that's ridiculous.
Reply 82
Original post by ajp100688
I looked at this point and thought what? Then I checked out the Pol website and it actually is AAA now, that's ridiculous.

Laws A*AA now

Well, I think it's safe to say I would never have been accepted to QMUL if I applied for 2012.. :lolwut:

I got a 2:1 though lol so whatever. :hand:

AAA... :eek:

Original post by Iqbal007
Laws A*AA now

QMUL has always had a very strong law dept. Law, university of London degree, one of the best Law degrees in London... A*AA makes sense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tee.

In my day it was BBB/BBC depending on joint honours combination.

I wouldn't not have attained a place with my ABC grades this year, nor would the vast majority of my year group. To think of it, the guy who did get AAA for A levels was the one who topped the year and got a full scholarship for his MSc & PhD.

The AAA requirement will mean the quality of each years cohorts should dramatically increase as well.

Interesting fact, girls perform worst (all factors being considered) for QMUL Politics over the past 7-8 years.
Original post by unknown demon
In my day it was BBB/BBC depending on joint honours combination.

I wouldn't not have attained a place with my ABC grades this year, nor would the vast majority of my year group. To think of it, the guy who did get AAA for A levels was the one who topped the year and got a full scholarship for his MSc & PhD.

The AAA requirement will mean the quality of each years cohorts should dramatically increase as well.

Interesting fact, girls perform worst (all factors being considered) for QMUL Politics over the past 7-8 years.

Probs cause their name sounds like

On a slightly more serious note though, how do you know that? I haven't seen any stats.
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Probs cause their name sounds like

On a slightly more serious note though, how do you know that? I haven't seen any stats.

Haha, unfortunately A levels don't offer an indication of ones sanity.

I'm privy to lots of information. But in short, a good friend of mine spoke to our lovely head of department who admitted girls historically performed the worst controlling for almost all variables such as: A level grades, ethnicity, course choices, social class (state school v grammar v private school)

I believe increasing the offer requirements will do wonders for the department, more fiercely ambitious and opinionated undergraduates will help increase the reputation of the department especially since most of them will go onto very very good graduate school programs or into solid graduate jobs. Looking back, my year did pretty well considering we graduated at the worst time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Haha, unfortunately A levels don't offer an indication of ones sanity.

I'm privy to lots of information. But in short, a good friend of mine spoke to our lovely head of department who admitted girls on the course historically performed the worst controlling for almost all variables such as: A level grades, ethnicity, course choices, social class (state school v grammar v private school)

I believe increasing the offer requirements will do wonders for the department, more fiercely ambitious and opinionated undergraduates will help increase the reputation of the department especially since most of them will go onto very very good graduate school programs or into solid graduate jobs. Looking back, my year did pretty well considering we graduated at the worst time.

Yeah, Jonny Anglais is the true epitomy of everything we want out QMUL Politics grads to be!
Yeah, Jonny Anglais is the true epitomy of everything we want out QMUL Politics grads to be!

Can't knock his hustle.

Its better than clinically insane undergrads.
Can't knock his hustle.

Its better than clinically insane undergrads.

i
want
to
DIE!
Is QMUL Politics really going to attract people at AAA though? It's going up against some big hitters with that offer and from my past experience a lot of QMUL Pol students tend to be those which had it as a 2/3rd choice compared to places like UCL/LSE and whatnot. Offering at the same grade boundary as those unis is going to hurt applications imo.

I think the department head is opting for 80/20 here. Get a smaller amount of v.high calibre graduates into the dept will not harm the departments ranking.

Also, do bear in mind, plenty of people do decide against LSE/UCL/Kings and come to QM instead for whatever reason it does happen. I met plenty in my year and I am fairly sure many make the same decision year on year.
Well, I think it's safe to say I would never have been accepted to QMUL if I applied for 2012.. :lolwut:

My grades wouldn't have got me in when I applied for 2008 entry - thank goodness for alternative routes :wink: Not to mention that my grades would no longer get me onto my course at any university in the UK, but that's just further evidence of entry requirement inflation.
i
want
to
DIE!

I'd rather you didn't.

On a side note, if you want attention you only need to ask. :smile:
I love QMUL but you must be mad to turn down LSE or UCL in preference for QMUL. Even if LSE lives up it's reputation of being incredibly unsocial. That being said you're probably right with the first sentence.

I agree with you, however people do it.

Anecdoctally, a good friend of mine did it, ended up topping the year group and got a free ride to do his MA/PhD. He's killing it right now.

Your career trajectory isn't wholly dependent on your alma mater if you are good.

Edit: LSE unsocial ? LMAO. This university is actually party central, wealthy foreign kids only know how to party and if its MSc kids we're talking about - take 20+ holidays during the year!
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd rather you didn't.

On a side note, if you want attention you only need to ask. :smile:

gimme attention gimme attention gimme attention!

I promise I won't sit on the floor this time. :biggrin:
Reply 95
I love QMUL but you must be mad to turn down LSE or UCL in preference for QMUL. Even if LSE lives up it's reputation of being incredibly unsocial. That being said you're probably right with the first sentence.

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending