The Student Room Group

Genetics Textbook

On my degree, for some strange reason, the first year genetics course was cut a few years back.

We therefore go onto do second year genetics courses having done nothing in the first year, and naturally people struggle. I have been told that to have any chance I need to read a good genetics book over the summer.

What would you recommend?
My current genetics knowledge is basically A2 Biology, and I will need to bring this up to a level 2 standard. But I want something that isn't going to completely destroy me! xD

Thanks for any advice. :smile:
Jimmy Jazz
On my degree, for some strange reason, the first year genetics course was cut a few years back.

We therefore go onto do second year genetics courses having done nothing in the first year, and naturally people struggle. I have been told that to have any chance I need to read a good genetics book over the summer.

What would you recommend?
My current genetics knowledge is basically A2 Biology, and I will need to bring this up to a level 2 standard. But I want something that isn't going to completely destroy me! xD

Thanks for any advice. :smile:

For some basic human-focused genetics intro at undergrad level I'd recommend "Introduction to Physical Anthropology" by Robert Jurmaine -> it should give you a good grounding in human genetics.
Reply 2
I always thought that the 'Introduction to Genetic Analysis' book was pretty good? Otherwise, the 'Genes' series by Lewin is informative also. Though the problem would be, I'm not sure how much of it would be relevant to Human Sciences?

Latest

Trending

Trending