The Student Room Group

ICT 6 urgent (+ rep)

Hi i think i have a very good database, but the writeup is lacking big time.

Would any VB code, formulas in queries etc go into my design, or just into implemtation.

example if i have someones birthdate, and i work out their age from it, (formula in form, or report) do i state in my design:

I am going to work out the birthdate via a calculation

or

The formula for this is ....................

If i do put the formula into the design, surely theres not that much to do in the implementation stage
I have the same issue. Alot of the functions in my database are way better than i could possibly have designed back in the autumn.

I have calculated age from birthdate as well, I have put that in my implementation, just explained how it works and what the formula means in english.

Out of interest what's your formula for working out age from date of birth, because before i had a crap one which only found the difference in years between current year and year of birth. Now I've got it working to the day :biggrin:
Reply 2
Cobbïns31770
I have the same issue. Alot of the functions in my database are way better than i could possibly have designed back in the autumn.

I have calculated age from birthdate as well, I have put that in my implementation, just explained how it works and what the formula means in english.

Out of interest what's your formula for working out age from date of birth, because before i had a crap one which only found the difference in years between current year and year of birth. Now I've got it working to the day :biggrin:

=Int(DateDiff("m",([Text147]),Date())/12)

When you said you explain it in english, is this design, or implementation?
I did it all implementation, I stated that i was going to use Age (I hadn't designed originally to give age) I then pasted my formula and explained it in English. I will probably put a more detailed version of my complex formulae in the appendix just clearing them all up.
Reply 4
Cobbïns31770
I did it all implementation, I stated that i was going to use Age (I hadn't designed originally to give age) I then pasted my formula and explained it in English. I will probably put a more detailed version of my complex formulae in the appendix just clearing them all up.

What about any comple queries with calculations in?

What about queries - do you put every detail in the design? e.g. if the criteria for a query comes from a specific form do you put this into design? what about any calculations, does this go into design aswell?

Basically is design just the outcome you want, wheras implementation is saying how to get to that outcome?

I have read that a competent third party should be able to build (implement) the system from the design
Design is simple ideas.
I am explaining form base queries in the implementation.
My implementation is eventually going to be a step-by-step guide as to how to build my database.

Design just consists of Interface designs, validation designs and formula designs.
The validation and formula designs are to be designed in english they don't expect you to design with syntax. I give the syntax in the implementation itself.
Reply 6
Cobbïns31770
Design is simple ideas.
I am explaining form base queries in the implementation.
My implementation is eventually going to be a step-by-step guide as to how to build my database.

Design just consists of Interface designs, validation designs and formula designs.
The validation and formula designs are to be designed in english they don't expect you to design with syntax. I give the syntax in the implementation itself.

You do realise that design is worth more marks than implementation?
I think you have a good point in designing in "english". But i would think that you have to design everything that you are going to implement.

e.e. maybe describe a formula in design view, but create it in implementation.
The thing is you don't know how to do half these things when you design the system, you pick them up as you go along. Once i pick up a technique i re-design the form/query/report but i explain how i am departing from my design in the implementation and put the new design in the appendix. the marks for the new designs will still be attributed to your design section.
Reply 8
Well i think im going to keep the design to what i understood earlier in the year, implement this. Then give it to my end user, then redesign and implement anything that has been changed or added.

Does this sound a good idea?
Hrov
Well i think im going to keep the design to what i understood earlier in the year, implement this. Then give it to my end user, then redesign and implement anything that has been changed or added.

Does this sound a good idea?

Sounds fine:smile:
Reply 10
Cobbïns31770
Sounds fine:smile:

lol maybe its going to take a loooong time but i will just have to work hard.

Whens the deadline for you, mines the start of May
mine is the first day back :frown:
It was last Friday but the teacher likes me and i managed to sway him at parents evening.

I've spent way too long on my database. It is so much better than it needs to be, it does way more than the analysis asks for, but the documentation is so far behind, i will need to work every day this holiday :s
Reply 12
Cobbïns31770
mine is the first day back :frown:
It was last Friday but the teacher likes me and i managed to sway him at parents evening.

I've spent way too long on my database. It is so much better than it needs to be, it does way more than the analysis asks for, but the documentation is so far behind, i will need to work every day this holiday :s

Basically same here.

Good luck
You too.
What's your database about?
Mine is for my local cricket team, calculating league tables and individual player statistics from entering scorecards. As well as storing the contact details of coaches, players, umpires, Clubs etc

Latest

Trending

Trending