The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No bloody idea. But, thanks for the link: thats the answers for our textbook right!?
Laura373
The mass spectrum of CH3Br contains two molecular ion peaks of equal abundance with m/z values of 94 and 96. Deduce the number of molecular ion peaks in the spectrum of the compound CH2Br2. Give their relative abundances and the m/z value of the molecular ion with the greatest mass.

The answer is the first one on here:
http://www.aqaanswers.co.uk/Chemistry/chapter17/Chapter_17_Answers_to_examination_style_questions.pdf

What on earth is it going on about?!

Thank you!

OMG, you are a genius. I've been looking bloody everywhere for those answers!
Bromine has two common isotopes in about 50% split with masses 79 and 81, so for a molecule with two bromines you can get:

81 + 81
81 + 79
79 + 81
79 + 79
Reply 4
Hedgehunter
No bloody idea. But, thanks for the link: thats the answers for our textbook right!?

lmao xD
indeed. www.aqaanswers.co.uk provides the answers for the Biology, Chemistry and Physics textbooks.
Reply 5
I have no idea but I know somehow it involves isotopes.
Reply 6
EierVonSatan
Bromine has two common isotopes in about 50% split with masses 79 and 81, so for a molecule with two bromines you can get:

81 + 81
81 + 79
79 + 81
79 + 79

Aha thank you. I still don't understand the m/z bit though?

and I can't take credit for that link; some guy posted it on here earlier this week.
Reply 7
Laura373
lmao xD
indeed. www.aqaanswers.co.uk provides the answers for the Biology, Chemistry and Physics textbooks.

HOW STUPID am I: I've been marking things with the first link to answers that has the answers all weirdly set out.:getmecoat:
Reply 8
Malsi101
HOW STUPID am I: I've been marking things with the first link to answers that has the answers all weirdly set out.:getmecoat:

eh? :confused:
Laura373

and I can't take credit for that link; some guy posted it on here earlier this week.

The m/z value is just the mass:charge to ratio (the charge is normally +1), the m/z peak with the highest mass will include the 81 + 81 arrangement.
Laura373

Just add the mass numbers for each.
Reply 12
Laura373

scrap that - I understand now! Thank you Eier!
Reply 14
could someone explain quickly to me why the relative abundances are 1: 2 :1 and what for:frown:
Malsi101
could someone explain quickly to me why the relative abundances are 1: 2 :1 and what for:frown:

for the masses

Br + Br + CH2 = mass of molecule

81 + 81 + 14 = 176
79 + 81 + 14 = 174
81 + 79 + 14 = 174
79 + 79 + 14 = 172

so 1: 2 :1 ratios since the middle two are the same (peak twice as high compared to the lowest and highest peaks)
EierVonSatan

81 + 81
81 + 79
79 + 81
79 + 79

I actually knew the answer to the OP!
Trust EVS to get there first :shifty:
Champagne Supernova
I actually knew the answer to the OP!
Trust EVS to get there first :shifty:

:yep: :tongue:
EierVonSatan
:yep: :tongue:

:rofl:
Reply 19
as EierVonSatan said, there are two isotops of Br - 79 and 81. For CH2Br2 there are two bromine atoms, each of which are either going to be 79 or 81.
so the possible combos are:
15 (Mr CH3) + 79 + 79 = 172
15 + 79 + 81 = 174
15 + 81 + 79 = 174
15 + 81 + 81 = 176

so theres going to be twice as many 174s than the others. Hence 1:2:1

Latest