The Student Room Group

A Level Blacklist Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Cezmerelda
I can't believe you! How can you be forcing a language on a country when it's the country's language!

Because it really isn't South Wales's language.
Does anyone have any advice for me, I really want to apply for eng lit at oxford but am not sure if they will immediately say no because of my unusual subject mix. I have three a's in biology, eng lit and art. Anybody know whether there is any reason to not apply?
Original post by calvinuk
Yeah, my mate got an E in his maths but an A in accounting.

That doesn't mean Accounting is easy. Your mate could just have had a higher aptitude for Accounting, unlike Maths.

If I said Maths is easy, because 'my mate' got an 'A*' in Maths, yet a 'E' in Accounting, I'm pretty sure you'd say I was wrong. :s-smilie:
Original post by guichiguichi
Does anyone have any advice for me, I really want to apply for eng lit at oxford but am not sure if they will immediately say no because of my unusual subject mix. I have three a's in biology, eng lit and art. Anybody know whether there is any reason to not apply?

Your A-levels look fine, to me. Best thing to do is check the entry/subject requirements for the course.

There's no hurt in applying. :biggrin:
Music Vs Drama, who will win? There's only one way to find out!!!

FIGHT!!!

*Bach stabs Shakespeare with a cello, Peter Shafter sets a naked boy on Beethoven and scares him off*

Oh dear. What an expressive mess. Should've done physics instead :wink:
Original post by Bezzler
Oi! I'll have you know learning the flute to the required standard takes years of dedicated learning!

In addition to that, performance is only a third of A level music. The written exam is very hard; for A2 I have to write two essays, one on Aspects of Romanticism from 1815-1885 which requires me to have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of various themes and specific works from the period. Plus I then have to answer questions on words and music on a piece of vocal music from 1900-1945, AND compare it to a piece of vocal music from that period which I've already studied, discussing details such as orchestration, word-painting, texture, harmony etc.

Not to mention my 2500 word performance investigation comparing two recordings of a piece of music which I then have to perform on the basis of this investigation. And the composition and commentary on that!

PLUS I'd like to see you harmonise a Bach chorale!

I think writing some vague soppy essay on a play is considerably easier than all of that!

Original post by Lysdexia
Generally Suitable Arts A-levels
Art History
Economics
Irish
Music
Welsh

Excuse me?

Beg your pardon that my Drama A-level is of "More Limited Suitability". Apparently knowing a good-as-dead language and knowing how to play the flute is more academically challenging than taking a socially/culturally/historically significant theme of a play and analysing how that theme would have been perceived by audiences over 400 years of moral evolution.
Original post by Historandpliny
If I may just bump a rather old thread... Will taking Art and Design as a 4th AS scupper my chances of getting into Oxbridge for English Literature? The 3 I intend to study to A2 are History, Latin and English literature. 3 weeks into AS I am enjoying Art but becoming increasingly aware that it isn't necessarily especially umm... Useful? I don't especially enjoy maths but ​teachers, parents and sense are pointing towards it. All advice will be much appreciated as I need a decision by tommorow afternoon really! Oh dear.
History, Latin and English Lit is a perfectly good combination.

Pick your fourth on the basis of what you'll enjoy doing this year, not what you think might help your application (it almost certainly won't).
Pick your fourth on the basis of what you'll enjoy doing this year, not what you think might help your application (it almost certainly won't).
Thank you for your advice, I'm quite glad to hear that!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply