The Student Room Group

KMnO4 + H2O2 reaction

2KMnO4 (aq) + 5H2O2 (aq) + 3H2SO4 (aq) => 2MnSO4 (aq) + K2SO4 + 8H2O (l) + 5O2 (g)

Simple question, in this reaction is sulphuric acid a catalyst? In some other equations I've seen it isn't added in the equation:

MnO4- + H2O2 =(acid)=> Mn2+ + O2

If it is a catalyst, then about how much should I add to a 50ml conical flask of about 1.0M H2O2?
It's not a catalyst as it's not regenerated at the end, the second equation is just a short hand :smile:
Reply 2
You always know if a substance is a catalyst in a reaction if it is the EXACT same on each side of the equation, ie. if you had 3H2SO4 on the right hand side as well as on the left.

hope that helps!
Reply 3
Ok. I'm doing a plan for an experiment finding the concentration of H2O2. So if I'm using a known concentration of KMnO4, can I use excess H2SO4?
How are you finding the concentration of H2O2?
Reply 5
Basically we're given a solution of approximatley '100-volume' H202 and have to use a redox titration involving KMnO4 to determine the exact concentration. I'm using 5ml of H202 and making it up to 50ml with distilled water; diluting it by a factor of 10. Then I'm using 0.02 mol dm-3 KMnO4 in a burette and titrating. I obviously need to add the sulphuric acid to the H2O2 solution, but I don't really know how much :P
OK I don't think you have much choice other than to use an excess :tongue:
Reply 7
Sweet, cheers.
Reply 8
What will be the products for the reactants like KMnO4 and H2O2 in a neutral medium?

Quick Reply

Latest