The Student Room Group

Illustration interview at Brighton

I got a letter through the post today saying i have an interview on the 22nd of april! Now proper freaking out, cause a) my college tutors said to wait to do my portfolio properly til after easter. My interview is 2 days after i go back and college is shut now! :eek3:
b) proper confused about the only showing 3 pieces of work thing! Do they not look through your whole portfolio?
c) worried about what they're gonna ask me in the interview and being stuck for things to say.

Soooooo if anyone could give any advice or let me know how their interview went or anything it'd be mega mega mega helpful!
ta muchly! x
Reply 1
Oh and does anyone know how likely they would be to let me reschedule my interview, if only by a few days? i really need to for various reasons
Reply 2
KTpie
I got a letter through the post today saying i have an interview on the 22nd of april! Now proper freaking out, cause a) my college tutors said to wait to do my portfolio properly til after easter. My interview is 2 days after i go back and college is shut now! :eek3:
b) proper confused about the only showing 3 pieces of work thing! Do they not look through your whole portfolio?
c) worried about what they're gonna ask me in the interview and being stuck for things to say.

Soooooo if anyone could give any advice or let me know how their interview went or anything it'd be mega mega mega helpful!
ta muchly! x

Ohh, don't panic! I had my interview for illustration on the 2nd, and it was so much friendlier than they sound in the letter!
With your portfolio, they do mention they dont look for highly finished work, they look for the "potential" as they phrase it. Just do as much as you can in the holidays and get a portfolio check asap I think. They do look through your whole portfolio, to be honest I was stumped as to why they asked us to put 3 pieces on top too.. perhaps to see what you decide to present to them at first?

I'm not sure about the rescheduling, Brighton I understand is always oversubscribed so its hard to change interview slots and so on :s-smilie: But I'm sure if your reason is valid enough its always worth having a check!

The illustration interview was pretty laid back, I was the last to go in, and everyone who came back from the interviewjust said that they basically ask more about you, your ideas, what you do in your spare time than anything else. I did get asked right at the end "what makes you angry" which stumped me a bit!
One important point though! They ask right at the start if you went to open day, so hopefully youve been and love it and can rave all about it to them :smile:
good luck! i cant quite remember all of it, but ask if theres anything else!
Reply 3
schtum
Ohh, don't panic! I had my interview for illustration on the 2nd, and it was so much friendlier than they sound in the letter!
With your portfolio, they do mention they dont look for highly finished work, they look for the "potential" as they phrase it. Just do as much as you can in the holidays and get a portfolio check asap I think. They do look through your whole portfolio, to be honest I was stumped as to why they asked us to put 3 pieces on top too.. perhaps to see what you decide to present to them at first?

Cool thanks that's really helpful :smile: gonna try to reschedule it but if i can't..oh well. That's good that they look through the whole thing yay! Ah poo never went to an open day because of the distance from where i live, but i've been to brighton before and loved it, and i chose brighton uni because of that and because i know it's really good for illustration.
Have you heard back if you've got a place yet?
Reply 4
Still haven't heard back yet :frown: I think I'm pretty much at the hair ripping out stage of worrying now.. Anyhow..
Good Luck for tomorrow! You all prepared now? Did you get a differrent time in the end?
Reply 5
I have a phone interview with Brighton as well tomorrow (not for illustration though) and I am really really nervous.

Best of luck to everyone who has their interview tomorrow or in the near future! :smile:
Reply 6
A phone interview! how does that work?Seems so strange What do you have it for then :smile:
Good luck to you too!
Reply 7
Well, I'm in Germany and can't hop over there for an interview, so they call me. Other than that I don't have any idea how it works either! I'm really nervous about it.

Oh, having it for Digital Media Design.
Reply 8
got rejected the day after my interview :frown:
KTpie

Huni im so sorry, please please dont let this get your hopes down. Keep trying and you will pursue your dreams, and dont forget you dont actually need an illustration degree to become a freelance illustrator.:smile:
Reply 10
Sabinnie
Well, I'm in Germany and can't hop over there for an interview, so they call me. Other than that I don't have any idea how it works either! I'm really nervous about it.

Oh, having it for Digital Media Design.

hope it went well! :smile:
Reply 11
KTpie

:frown::frown: that sucks bad! At least you didnt have to spend any time worrying about it :frown:
got told like 3 weeks after interview
what you got lined up next? More interviews?
Reply 12
Cherry Kisses
Huni im so sorry, please please dont let this get your hopes down. Keep trying and you will pursue your dreams, and dont forget you dont actually need an illustration degree to become a freelance illustrator.:smile:

Thanks :smile: felt a bit down about it at first but didn't really have time to think about it tbh, and bounced right back :smile: i can always do art, i don't need a degree to say that tbh. hopefully gonna get an interview at my second choice though.
Reply 13
schtum
:frown::frown: that sucks bad! At least you didnt have to spend any time worrying about it :frown:
got told like 3 weeks after interview
what you got lined up next? More interviews?

yeah...but they were really quick getting back to me. well my second choice is Kingston, my app only went to them on thursday night so not heard from them yet but will hopefully hear soon. If not have a place at another uni for a film studies course (through route a, long story) so deffo have somewhere to go :smile:
Reply 14
KTpie
yeah...but they were really quick getting back to me. well my second choice is Kingston, my app only went to them on thursday night so not heard from them yet but will hopefully hear soon. If not have a place at another uni for a film studies course (through route a, long story) so deffo have somewhere to go :smile:

you have kingston down as your second choice too?!! same here! huh weird. I hope they give us a chance, I phoned them up and they said they "historically hav never taken second choice" pshht :frown:
Yeah, we mustve been sent off at the same time.. fingers crossed now i spose.
Ahh thats good! I still dont know where I'm going! :frown:good luck :biggrin:
Reply 15
schtum
hope it went well! :smile:

Yeah, thank you, I got a place. =)
Reply 16
schtum
you have kingston down as your second choice too?!! same here! huh weird. I hope they give us a chance, I phoned them up and they said they "historically hav never taken second choice" pshht :frown:
Yeah, we mustve been sent off at the same time.. fingers crossed now i spose.
Ahh thats good! I still dont know where I'm going! :frown:good luck :biggrin:

Oh no!! That's rubbish :frown: although it seems like everywhere is like that tbh, all the places i was considering for second choice apparently don't even consider it, so it's like what are we supposed to do. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 17
KTpie
Oh no!! That's rubbish :frown: although it seems like everywhere is like that tbh, all the places i was considering for second choice apparently don't even consider it, so it's like what are we supposed to do. Good luck! :smile:

i know what you mean,I just didnt get the point of puttin down somewhere mediocre and not where I wanted to go so just took the risk of putting down places that didnt necessarily take 2nd place :frown:
it sucks that theyre changing it next year :frown: we've just missed it by so little!
thank youu :smile: just the big long wait now ..
Reply 18
schtum
i know what you mean,I just didnt get the point of puttin down somewhere mediocre and not where I wanted to go so just took the risk of putting down places that didnt necessarily take 2nd place :frown:
it sucks that theyre changing it next year :frown: we've just missed it by so little!
thank youu :smile: just the big long wait now ..

Yeah same, it's like well if hardly anywhere says they take second choice people, might as well just put somewhere yuo'd actually want to go. Well i'll keep you posted if i hear anything in this thread then :smile: and yep, the waiting is the worst part i think.

Latest