The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh yes. And they usually have the most pages. And sometimes you have to read them twice, because you didn't understand it the first time around anyway! :biggrin:
Shadowplay
Oh yes. And they usually have the most pages. And sometimes you have to read them twice, because you didn't understand it the first time around anyway! :biggrin:

Tell me about it! I had to go back and read quite a few chapters of "Sonnenallee" because I didn't know the assignment at the time so I thought that I might be missing out on important things. I wasn't. Haha.
Reply 22
Teao the Cat
Doing an english degree, you learn to hate reading in general, since half if it is boring.... jacobs room, Caleb Williams.... ick.

the english lit course I looked at at Cambridge looked like there weren't any compulsory texts at all- ie- you could avoid reading anything you really found boring. is cambridge an exception, or is it also as you described?

I would have thought there wouldn't be any set texts for English literature university courses
Reply 23
Shadowplay

yeah- this is my problem with the second book I mentioned
I keep trying to ask myself- what do people see in this book??
but there's so much literature I am interested in, and I never took to philosophy- so if it weren't compulsory I would just give up
yellowwdaisy
the english lit course I looked at at Cambridge looked like there weren't any compulsory texts at all- ie- you could avoid reading anything you really found boring. is cambridge an exception, or is it also as you described?

I would have thought there wouldn't be any set texts for English literature university courses

of course there are- they need something to teach on! But for the exams and essays, you pick the texts from the set texts that you like, and ignore the rest.
I do Law, every week I have at least 2-3 chapters of boring textbooks to read, plus some tedious journal articles and a few incomprehensible cases for good measure! xx
Reply 26
Teao the Cat
of course there are- they need something to teach on! But for the exams and essays, you pick the texts from the set texts that you like, and ignore the rest.

which university is this?
are you talking about all english lit courses?
Reply 27
blinkbelle
I do Law, every week I have at least 2-3 chapters of boring textbooks to read, plus some tedious journal articles and a few incomprehensible cases for good measure! xx

I thought that was basically what law consists of- textsbooks, journal articles and cases- what is it you do find interesting studying law if not that?
Reply 28
I acclimatise myself to most literature I read and usually grow to love it, but I could not get through 'Tess of the D'Urbavilles'; in fact I think less than 10% of the class actually finished it.
polka_dott
Spies.

Aaarfhfhgh. I had to do an AS exam on it and did so badly I just did another book (Cold Mountain) and did soo much better (got an A for the Cold Mountain exam! :yes:)

Agreed - saw this thread and immediately thought of Spies.

Doing it at the moment for my AS and it's actually hideous. There's no point and it's written in a way that just makes me want to fall asleep.
The catcher in a rye ....DULL i hated that book.I had it for gcse english lit...i literally gave up reading it and read the synopsis on wikipedia...I didn't even finish the question in the exam I wrote a paragraph.If it wasn't for those poem questions and coursework I would of failed.
yellowwdaisy
I thought that was basically what law consists of- textsbooks, journal articles and cases- what is it you do find interesting studying law if not that?

You seriously think everyone studying law enjoys reading textbooks? Seriously?!

It's bearable when its a good subject, but since I only get to pick 2/4 modules, it's often not so fun. xx
lozz2601
Agreed - saw this thread and immediately thought of Spies.

Doing it at the moment for my AS and it's actually hideous. There's no point and it's written in a way that just makes me want to fall asleep.

I loved reading that book for A Level!! xx
Reply 33
Arghh..I hate it...my pharmacy books are the most broing books on the planet, the amount of organic chem. is ridiculous!
Reply 34
zakiman
Of mice and Men

Need i say any more?

That was quite cool when I did it for GCSE...:cool:

I preferred Blood Brothers though (probably because I saw the play in London)...:love:
petzneo
Arghh..I hate it...my pharmacy books are the most broing books on the planet, the amount of organic chem. is ridiculous!

Please don't tell me that...The BNF is interesting :p:

jokes hehe
yellowwdaisy
which university is this?
are you talking about all english lit courses?

Lancaster, but they will all be the same. They dont just say 'go away and read a book and come tell us what you thought of it', they say 'read Silas Marner for next week, and we'll consider the importance of family and wealth' and you have a lecture on it, and a seminar, where a group of you all discuss it.
Well, I get quite a big selection of history modules throughout the course to choose from, so no, not really.
Any Tennyson poem.
Reply 39
blinkbelle
You seriously think everyone studying law enjoys reading textbooks? Seriously?!

It's bearable when its a good subject, but since I only get to pick 2/4 modules, it's often not so fun. xx

well I just thought people wouldn't want to do a subject at university unless they enjoyed every aspect of it- and especially with law- it is a very dry subject if you don't really enjoy it

Latest

Trending

Trending