The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

edit: no i wouldnt date a disable person
Reply 21
no
i would honestly say i dont know

i guess it would depend on the disability and the severity of it
Reply 23
It really depends. I wouldn't feel physically attracted to someone in a wheel chair for example and that's the basis on which I decide if I see someone as a potential date and then flirt with them etc
But if we became friends and then feelings developed, I don't see why not, it just wouldn't be the same way into a relationship.
If it were something more hidden, then I still don't see why not.

The only problem would be if they required help from me constantly and were dependant on me for things a lot. I wouldn't want to enter into a relationship like that seeing as a) I am not self-confident enough to shrug away doubts that they just want me for the help and b) I'm still young and don't want to have to be that reliable.
Of course, if someone I'm already in a relationship with became disabled and more dependant, that'd be different as the basis was already there before.
I'm really not sure to be honest. I wouldn't be actively against it, but then I probably wouldn't actively consider someone with a serious disability in that way either. Conditions like diabetes etc wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but something very obvious like autism or a strong physical disability? I really don't know, but I'd say the likelihood is not. Maybe that makes me shallow, but I'll be honest.
Reply 25
Amazing words River.
Reply 26
I don't see why not, this is rather a stupid thread to be honest.
This is what I would have replied before becoming disabled myself:
I would date a disabled person, but I would keep it a secret relationship. Kind of makes it more exciting, like a stuff in the closet :smile:
If there's anything that offsets the disability (beauty, popularity, etc.) I would also date that person.

This is what I answer now:
No, because I can't be responsible for two disabled people :biggrin:
Depends on the severity. I really like a guy who happens to be autistic, but I don't think I'll ever go out with him cause I don't see myself as being able to cope.
It's not something that I've put a lot of thought into until recently but then a girl in my class was in a car crash and paralysed from the hips down so it got me thinking about all things disability-related. Then I watched this amazing documentary called Beyond Boundaries about people with physical disabilities climbing mountains and going trekking and things like that. It was the first time I'd really put much thought into what it would be like to be disabled.

I would date someone with that kind of disability, some physical ones wouldn't put me off I think. A missing limb or something would be something that I think I could easily become accustomed too and wouldn't be a big deal. The same with being paralysed from the waist down (although I might miss the sex I guess if that was a problem).

My grandfather was in a wheelchair from his mid-20s and him and my grandmother still had a really successful relationship and he had a great career as a civil engineer so I do reckon that kind of disability wouldn't come in the way of a relationship.

I think subconsciously I would rule out deaf and blind people if I met them, same with cerebral palsey. But never say never, if I liked them enough then I probably would but I doubt I would hit on them unless I knew their personality and knew that I liked it. I'm sorry if that offends anyone.. I know it makes me quite intolerant but it just seems like the type of thing that would make things so much harder when there are guys out there who don't have that that I could go out with. :dontknow:

Mental disabilities would put me off. I don't think I would be able to handle it, and I will definitely avoid people with severe mental illnesses. I've had too much experience of living with people suffering from them to do it all again. Autism would be something that I would rather avoid too. I know autistic people but I don't think I'm the right sort of person to get in a relationship with an autistic person. It wouldn't be fair on either of us, I wouldn't be understanding enough I know that.

I hope this didn't offend anybody, I'm just trying to be honest.
But yeah, short answer: depends on the disability.

Latest