The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Your Accommodation Preference...

So, for those with Sussex as their firm or insurance, which accommodation have you put down as your preferred choice?

I am thinking of Lewes Court Phase 2 (I need a network connection) but it's bloody expensive at nearly 80 quid per week....I am tempted to choose off campus accommodation but don't wanna miss out on freshers week activities and the opportunity to meet more people...
Reply 1
ilovemonkeys
So, for those with Sussex as their firm or insurance, which accommodation have you put down as your preferred choice?

I am thinking of Lewes Court Phase 2 (I need a network connection) but it's bloody expensive at nearly 80 quid per week....I am tempted to choose off campus accommodation but don't wanna miss out on freshers week activities and the opportunity to meet more people...

i've put lewes court phase 1 first, and phase 2 second, just from teh money point of view. i heard they were installing broadband in phase 1 soon so fingers crossed it will be there!

i considered off campus accommodation (holland house looks gorgeous, and on the sea front!) but decided that i'll be off campus after the first year anyawy so should just go for it.

did you notice how some studio flats are cheaper than a simple en suite?!
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
I'm probs putting sussex down as my firm and am so stuck on accommodation. Everyone is telling me not to be too bothered about an en-suite and bits and bobs like that. lol. Do all rooms have wash basins in the rooms? Are any of the places really icky? And which ones is the most lively?
Reply 3
twinkledust
I'm probs putting sussex down as my firm and am so stuck on accommodation. Everyone is telling me not to be too bothered about an en-suite and bits and bobs like that. lol. Do all rooms have wash basins in the rooms? Are any of the places really icky? And which ones is the most lively?

east slopes are known as the "party flats" - they are the oldest and really not nice - i had a look round last year and they were really dark and nasty! not all of them have basins in the rooms and some of them are shared rooms.

lewes court is the newest, most of it has broadband, brighthelm is next but i think that's mainly postgrads. i've heard the park houses are good for parties too :smile:

have you got your accommodation brochure?
i have got it but it doesnt really explai v.well and i couldnt stick around on open day cause i had to work that night so i'm stuck. lol.
Reply 5
twinkledust
i have got it but it doesnt really explai v.well and i couldnt stick around on open day cause i had to work that night so i'm stuck. lol.

well what else do you want to know? i went in and looked around last year but this year we weren't allowed in as it was the holidays. i think there's an open day in june when you can go in and look around...
Reply 6
allisandro
i've put lewes court phase 1 first, and phase 2 second, just from teh money point of view. i heard they were installing broadband in phase 1 soon so fingers crossed it will be there!

i considered off campus accommodation (holland house looks gorgeous, and on the sea front!) but decided that i'll be off campus after the first year anyawy so should just go for it.

did you notice how some studio flats are cheaper than a simple en suite?!

Yeah I did notice that - weird! I haven't filled in my accommodation form yet but imagine I will put down Lewes Court Phase 2 and then Phase 1 as reserve. Saying that though, I've heard that accommodation allocation at Sussex means that a lot of people don't get their first choice.I wouldn't be too bothered if I got put in Brighthelm but East Slope is horrible!

If I remember rightly you're on a gap year like me - do you think that because we have unconditional offers that we'll get allocated first?
Reply 7
ilovemonkeys
Yeah I did notice that - weird! I haven't filled in my accommodation form yet but imagine I will put down Lewes Court Phase 2 and then Phase 1 as reserve. Saying that though, I've heard that accommodation allocation at Sussex means that a lot of people don't get their first choice.I wouldn't be too bothered if I got put in Brighthelm but East Slope is horrible!

If I remember rightly you're on a gap year like me - do you think that because we have unconditional offers that we'll get allocated first?

when i went to an open day last week they said they'll allocate it all in august. but to be honest, that seems to be that they're making an awful lot fo work for themselves if they let the forms pile up til then, plus there is a space on the form for "date received" (that could just be for their files though)

on teh website it says if you have a confirmed place you find out in august, and then people who meet their conditional offers this year find out in september.

i think they must start allocating people with unconditional offers first because it just makes sense since the places are confirmed. i hope anyway! i found the form a bit ambiguous, where it said put them in order of preference with tiny boxes - i wrote the numbers next to them but i hope they understand. i really don't want to be in east slope :frown:
Reply 8
Yeah I found the form quite ambiguous as well. I put Holland House before East Slope - I think East Slope is the worst university accommodation I've ever seen...although some of the accommodation at UEA would come close! Do you know if lots of students go home at the weekend at Sussex? It was like that at my last uni (Kent) and meant that the uni was completely dead at weekends.
Reply 9
ilovemonkeys
Yeah I found the form quite ambiguous as well. I put Holland House before East Slope - I think East Slope is the worst university accommodation I've ever seen...although some of the accommodation at UEA would come close! Do you know if lots of students go home at the weekend at Sussex? It was like that at my last uni (Kent) and meant that the uni was completely dead at weekends.

yes i put holland house and all off campus accommodation before east slope!!

the guy said it is quite quiet at the weekends and that there's more people in the on campus bars. i think it's quite usual for both unis to be quiet at the weekends because of the lack of student nights.
allisandro
yes i put holland house and all off campus accommodation before east slope!!

the guy said it is quite quiet at the weekends and that there's more people in the on campus bars. i think it's quite usual for both unis to be quiet at the weekends because of the lack of student nights.

Yeah I guess a lot of uni's in the South attract students from home counties/London regions so it's pretty tempting for some to go home and get their mum to do their washing etc! I'm not planning on going home at all in the first term - I made the mistake of going home too much at my last uni.

Anyway, I'm pretty much set on Sussex now (despite my sig!) so I better hurry up and confirm my place!
Reply 11
I put Park Houses and Park Village as my first two choices of accomadation.

Hoping and praying for an en suite!
Hey,

I'm in my first year at Sussex (see other posts in the forum) and am living at home. However, I will be moving into halls next year in order to increase my independence for the time when I have to go abroad for a year as part of my degree (either Spain or Italy) in the third year. I have applied for Lewes Court (Phase 2), since it looks the best. I have had un-official confirmation (word of mouth), and I should get official confirmation soon I would have thought.

I have been in East Slope (a bit dodgy as others have said) and Norwich House, which is mainly for the international students.

Anyway, it would be nice to see some of you next year if you're definitely coming.

Take care,

Jordan :biggrin:
Sussex is my insurance. I'm putting East Slope down. I'm not fussed about having brand spanking new rooms, or en suite, just something cheap and cheerful. I've seen it, and it's quite liveable in and seems quite fun. I prefer the layout too.

Latest

Trending

Trending