The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
God put everything on earth for people to use.

"Then God said, �Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you...I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so." Genesis 1:29-31

So you can eat cannabis :biggrin:

http://www.equalrights4all.org/religious/bible.htm You might find this helpful, bubbles. :smile: Read the verses and decide for yourself.
NW8_SW1_EC3
Basically, a good Christian wouldn't take any substance which is harmful to the body.

But every single form of food is harmful to the body in the wrong quantities and not taken in moderation.
Reply 22
I consider myself a "Good Christian" although I don't believe in God (I DO believe Jesus Christ existed and that he preached a good way of living, tolerance etc.). Obviously in history, very bloody wars have been waged in the name of Christianity, but I don't believe these hold true with the teachings. I feel the only people I am disrespecting when I take drugs are myself (because of the damage the drugs can and do, do), my family and friends (because I know how much they care about me and would be devestated if anything happened to me.) and to an extent people who don't have a healthy body to abuse.

So, yes, I think you can still be a good Christian and take drugs.
Reply 23
Bubbles*de*Milo
Why can't I love God and do drugs? Being high once a week and occasionally doing pills; big deal if I still spend 4 days out of 7 helping people/in church etc..

You can still love God, but the idea behind becoming a Christian is that you want to change the way you live as a result, which could potentially mean stopping drugs.
danbrown87
I consider myself a "Good Christian" although I don't believe in God (I DO believe Jesus Christ existed and that he preached a good way of living, tolerance etc.). Obviously in history, very bloody wars have been waged in the name of Christianity, but I don't believe these hold true with the teachings. I feel the only people I am disrespecting when I take drugs are myself (because of the damage the drugs can and do, do), my family and friends (because I know how much they care about me and would be devestated if anything happened to me.) and to an extent people who don't have a healthy body to abuse.

You don't believe in God but you're a good Christian...what?
Reply 25
well as long as it doesnt directly say dont do drugs or something along those lines your not comprimising your christianity, but it might lead to things that will.
Actually, if you're a Christian, why do you want to take drugs?
Go and spend time with friends from church and stuff to avoid the temptation :smile:
qwerty2012
i smoke weed sometimes and im a good christian !!!!

No one can judge here (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=50&chapter=8 - verse 7) so fair point, we can't say if you're a good Christian. But do you think that smoking weed is honouring your body - the temple that the Holy Spirit lives in?

Yes, there are somethings we do that do not always honour our bodies, but I think we should honestly do what is within our limits to preserve our bodies as temples.
Reply 28
I'd worry more about the personal and physical repercussions, than about any spiritual shenanigans.
Reply 29
danbrown87

:yep:

It's amazing the number of people who complain that these "Christians" have caused wars and killed thousands of people when Jesus preached about loving your neighbour as yourself, as well as the commandment "Thous shalt not kill".
Reply 30
Medicine Man
No one can judge here (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=50&chapter=8 - verse 7) so fair point, we can't say if you're a good Christian. But do you think that smoking weed is honouring your body - the temple that the Holy Spirit lives in?

Yes, there are somethings we do that do not always honour our bodies, but I think we should honestly do what is within our limits to preserve our bodies as temples.

"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; that which cometh out of the mouth defileth a man." (Mat. 15:11) :yep:
Reply 31
its impossible, taking drugs is against christian believe, so you cant be a good christian according to priests.
DaveParlour
But every single form of food is harmful to the body in the wrong quantities and not taken in moderation.

I was hoping people would be sensible enough to see past this. Of course excluding food eaten in reasonable quantities.
Reply 33
Bubbles*de*Milo

So...the hard stuff. The stuff no one talks about. DRUGS (no, I'm not talking about crack or heroin though). LSD can't harm you; it leaves your blood stream very quickly, neither can ecstasy, neither can mdma, neither will weed, neither does alcohol in moderation... I'm not ruining my body; I don't plan on becoming a coke addict, or spending the rest of my life as an alcoholic. Your body is a temple, true, but I'm not especially damaging it. It's a momentary pleasure I receive, but it doesn't ruin my body in the long run. I'm not sick; I'm not ill. I'm perfectly healthy (much healthier then a fat person who does no drugs and never drinks). So why am I to be condemned? Drugs, in moderation, are not harmful, and we all know it. Leah Betts did not die from ecstasy but too much water (but that's a different issue). My point is... drugs aren not harmful in moderation, so why is it so looked down upon to do drugs and be a Christian. Obviously, becoming a drug addict/alcoholic is bad, but that's not likely to happen unless you're completely stupid about it. Recreational drugs is not harmful.

Of course it can harm you, that's why it is illegal.
Drugs are illegal for a reason.
They can harm you mentally, and lead you to harm yourself or put yourself in a position of danger or vulnerability.

I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do,or if it's right or wrong by the Bible, but I am saying that just because it hasn't harmed you or anyone you know, doesn't mean they won't harm you. Even in moderation.
Thud
"Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; that which cometh out of the mouth defileth a man." (Mat. 15:11) :yep:

Reading on though...

"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' " "

Matthew 15: 17 onwards

You do have a point, but he was speaking figuratively - and he was talking about the Pharisees who ate unsacrificed food. He was saying that, they should move on from tradition that all food had to be sacrificed before they ate.

This doesn't really relate to drugs if you see where I'm coming from.
Reply 35
lol haha, drugs costs a lot of money anyway, if your not rich dont use it, but if your rich, have fun!
Sarahsnub
Of course it can harm you, that's why it is illegal.
Drugs are illegal for a reason.

Really, really no. That's very naive tbh.
Reply 37
Medicine Man
Reading on though...

"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? "

Matthew 15: 17

That doesn't contradict it...
Reply 38
Thud

Does that apply to fellatio too?

Anyway, why are there two threads on this?
Reply 39
drugs kill people
drugs kill people
drugs kill people
drugs can be addictive even if you to just take them the once to enjoy yourself

No?

Latest