The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I always do every examination paper I ask my students to take and I know many other teachers who routinely do the same.

I like to provide my students with a set of solutions the following day so they can reassure themselves about how they have performed. This process also helps me to make sure I have covered every aspect of the course in my teaching (if not, I make a mental note to do better next year!) and I can speak with authority about how frequently a particular topic is examined.

However, assessing subject knowledge would not tell Ofsted anything much about the effectivess of a particular teacher in a classroom. I have observed many extremely well qualified individuals completely fail to engage at any level with their students.
Reply 21
i think there'd be nothing to lose. why not? if they do rubbish it just shows their inability to go into detail in class which is what they're like atm:yep:
Reply 22
My ICT teacher actually did take a proper exam with us in January.

Apparently he had to sit the new specification paper because it was the only way they could obtain the paper to use it as practice for June, when they're entering the first students (something like that anyway).

He claims to have got an A :wink:
Reply 23
VanDerWaal
To those who said that a teacher should not be made to take the exams cause s/he can know the subject but not be good at exams:

If this is the case, then the whole exam system is senseless because the same argument might apply to the students. And we're in serious trouble if that is true... :s-smilie:

I agree.
Reply 24
my economics teacher was for doing this when someone in my class asked him.
ironically he never teaches us exam technique though
Reply 25
Mr M
I always do every examination paper I ask my students to take and I know many other teachers who routinely do the same.

I like to provide my students with a set of solutions the following day so they can reassure themselves about how they have performed. This process also helps me to make sure I have covered every aspect of the course in my teaching (if not, I make a mental note to do better next year!) and I can speak with authority about how frequently a particular topic is examined.

However, assessing subject knowledge would not tell Ofsted anything much about the effectivess of a particular teacher in a classroom. I have observed many extremely well qualified individuals completely fail to engage at any level with their students.

Yeah, they are plenty of teachers who are really clever but can't teach, and plenty that are good teachers and can get their students through the exams really well, but aren't so good in the exams. And frankly, so long as they know what they're talking about, and prepare well, why would they need to know it all by heart (although having said that, mine usually do because they really like their subjects)?
Reply 26
generalebriety
It'd be brilliant. I don't know if it'd help, but it'd be very funny.

:ditto:
Reply 27
flugestuge
Most teachers would get B's or C's.
There is a reason why they ended up as teachers.

Some just love their subject, and love teaching.
There are plenty of people who teach because they don't feel they need the money, stress or hours of higher paying jobs.
Reply 28
Grabski
There are plenty of people who teach because they don't feel they need the money, stress or hours of higher paying jobs.

That's not what today's headlines seem to imply. Demands for a 10% increase in pay along with a large number of teachers complaining about exactly those things: money, stress and hours.
Grabski

Once they become teachers, they constantly whine about how they need more money to compensate them for the stress and the hours.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The reality is that only those who cannot do anything else become teachers.
Reply 30
I'm with Renal. Also, tbh in order to move up a payscale they have to submit an essay and do a certain amount of assessed work.
Reply 31
a better idea would be to have ofsted inspections done randomly. on the week they came here the lessons were completely different.
Reply 32
flugestuge
Once they become teachers, they constantly whine about how they need more money to compensate them for the stress and the hours.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The reality is that only those who cannot do anything else become teachers.

those who can't do, teach. those who can't teach, teach gym.
yup
but in all honesty i have some really good teachers, so I probably a bit biased. some of them are reli young and reli dont care about the money... i can imagine most aren't like that though, i've met enough dodgy ones to beleive it.
Reply 33
jordan12
That's not what today's headlines seem to imply. Demands for a 10% increase in pay along with a large number of teachers complaining about exactly those things: money, stress and hours.

haha as i've just said, i'm probably biased. but not all are bad :smile:
some are decent, and most of mine are.
i can sympathise with you if you've got dodgy ones though

and I would guess that it's more stressful at an intercity school than an a town one.

Latest