The Student Room Group

Slave Women in Islam - and Muslims say they 'respect' women...

Posted this question in the 'ask a muslim' thread but failed to recieve any replies so I have decided to make a thread. I always thought, to an extent, that Islam was a peaceful religion and was fairly interested in the religion at some point. However, I have made some outrageous discoveries which have forced me change my views. Apparently, Islam ‘respects’ women and treats them as ‘equals.’ Why is it then that, on top of having four wives, a man is also allowed to have an unlimited number of slave women, with whom he can have sexual intercourse with, regardless of whether they (the slave women) are married or not.

So basically, sex outside marriage is allowed in Islam, but only for males, yet Muslims are known to be stoned to death in Islamic countries if they commit adultery. However, (surprise, surprise) sex with slave women is not considered to be adultery as the males ‘own them.’ How can anyone argue that Islam respects women whilst knowing this? This proves that in Islam women are perceived to be sexual objects and nothing more.

Oh, and another point, the wife has no right to object to her husband owning female slaves or to his having intercourse with them. Slave women could basically be sold and brought, like pieces of furniture, yet people still claim that Islam loves and cherishes woman. What do Muslims think of this issue?

(Also, a question to Muslim women : if slavery was present in today’s society, would you be ok with your husband ****ing these slave women?)

I have posted quotes in the thread but for those of you who do not belive this then i strongly suggest you do research on this because you will find out I am right. I am suprised how many muslims are unaware of this issue.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sara12345
Quotes available on request, however this issue is a well known fact and I’m certain that the majority of Muslims are aware of this already so did not feel the need to post quotes.
Good thinking.
Reply 2
Thank god for monogamy and laws against slavery in Britain

EDIT: no way in hell would i be ok with my hubby ******* other women that would make me feel like crap! slave over his own wife? wtf seriously
Reply 3
Because islam was created by men, and men are interpreting islam to their advantage
Reply 4
Quotes and evidence please.
Reply 5
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An-Nisa,_34

the bible contains some extreme verses, which are interpreted moderately

with islam, they're interpreting the holy book to the detriment of others
Reply 6
The whole human race has done some pretty savage stuff in history, no religion is exempt from that and cannot be "blamed" for it.

However, if you interpret religious texts in a literal and modern environment then you are in the wrong, and pretty ******* ignorant.
Sara12345
Quotes available on request, however this issue is a well known fact and I’m certain that the majority of Muslims are aware of this already so did not feel the need to post quotes.

I'd recommend posting quotes in your OP in the future, you'd be surprised by how many muslims are unaware of this. There was an interesting thread in D&D about this topic the other week (and it mentions with hadith and Quran quotes). It led to an interesting discussion so is worthy of a read.
Reply 8
Also (prohibited are) women already married, except those whom your right hands possess: (The Noble Quran, 4:23-24)"

This quote from the Quran clearly shows that muslim men can 'enjoy' even married slave women.

Definition of term 'right hand possess' - captives of war.

The Quran in Sura 23:5-6 says:
[Most certainly true believers] . . . guard their private parts scrupulously, except with regard to their wives and those who are legally in their possession, for in that case they shall not be blameworthy. (Sayyid Abul A’La Maududi, The Meaning of the Quran, vol. 3, p. 237)

This quote proves that muslim men can have sex with their slave women (women 'legally in their possession')

Also, if you search it up anywhere, or ask any muslim, you will see that sex with slave women is allowed. There is no 'debate' about it, because it mentions it so clearly in the Quran. And, scholars know best right.
The practice of keeping concubines was kept by pretty much every past civilisation... It of course doesn't apply now...
Reply 10
farhan
Good thinking.

Is that all you could come up with? it's funny whenever i bring this topic up, no one has anything to say apart from ''all religions did this'' because they realise there no way in which they can defend this disgusting act.
Reply 11
adilmorrison
The practice of keeping concubines was kept by pretty much every past civilisation... It of course doesn't apply now...

I am aware of that, but i am talking about ISLAM in particular. I just didn't expect this from the religion of peace.
Sara12345
I am aware of that, but i am talking about ISLAM in particular. I just didn't expect this from the religion of peace.

What's it got to do with peace... !
Reply 13
Darkened Angel
I'd recommend posting quotes in your OP in the future, you'd be surprised by how many muslims are unaware of this. There was an interesting thread in D&D about this topic the other week (and it mentions with hadith and Quran quotes). It led to an interesting discussion so is worthy of a read.

Do you mind posting the link, if possible, I can't seem to find it. I'm also suprised that so many muslims seem to be unaware of this fact. Or maybe they are aware but can not provide a defence because there is none.
Sara12345
Is that all you could come up with? it's funny whenever i bring this topic up, no one has anything to say apart from ''all religions did this'' because they realise there no way in which they can defend this disgusting act.

actually its relevant only in the abrahamic religions, older pagan religions did not view women as second class citizens usually it was the other way round and men were of secondary importance good for three things hunting fighting and rutting, women on the other hand were the only ones capable of bearing children a carrying on the line.

It also relevant in that other religions/cultures did/do it whereas you are singling out one religion in particular
Reply 15
adilmorrison
What's it got to do with peace... !

My bad, i mean from the religion which everyone claims 'respects' women. If it resepected women so much, why would sex with slave women be allowed?
Reply 16
i have said before and i will keep saying it. YOU CANNOT TRANSLATE PURE ARABIC INTO ENGLISH WITHOUT MISINTERPRETATION! simple thats the bottom line. Sara, you dont seem to know a lot about the truth of Islam, posting some quotes in english doesnt help. One who can READ arabic and interprate it directly from arabic can only understand the true meaning behind the words or else it wont make sense.
Sara12345
My bad, i mean from the religion which everyone claims 'respects' women. If it resepected women so much, why would sex with slave women be allowed?

It's not a question of disrespect... The woman is a slave and therefore the man is allowed to have sexual relations with her... It doesn't go for women for obvious reasons... Should she become pregnant, how would one now who was the father?
Reply 18
sex slave women are not allowed. WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU GETTING THIS FROM? Seriously you have sum retarded links and references to be honest. THis is the fact. WOMEN HAVE MORE RIGHTS THAN MEN IN ISLAM. Ofcourse yo get nutcases called Taliban etc...but you get that in all religions- just a few more in Islam-they think they know the religion but they dont know **** frankly.
Reply 19
"So basically, sex outside marriage is allowed in Islam, but only for males, yet Muslims are known to be stoned to death in Islamic countries if they commit adultery. However, (surprise, surprise) sex with slave women is not considered to be adultery as the males ‘own them.’ How can anyone argue that Islam respects women whilst knowing this? This proves that in Islam women are perceived to be sexual objects and nothing more."

LMFAO, can you give me the qoutes ? what you said above is totally wrong...

Latest

Trending

Trending