The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I would advise you not to go for St. Mary's, that is on the other side of the city, so is a fair walk from lectures, plus it's at the top of the steepest hill in Bangor which makes getting back to the hall very difficult.

Going for the quiet hall is an option, but I was told that priority is given to those with special circumstances first, then other students. M block of Y Borth is not that big - it has 48 rooms, and given the amount of applicants for rooms, it'll be good luck if you get it, but there's every chance you might get them.
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
Reply 61
Is it just me or have Bangor not openned their accommodation yet? The website says June but its now the 5th and nothing's changed.

I've had no e-mail, letter and the website still says: 'Application will open in June 2009 and you will be able to download an application form from these pages. We will write to you to remind you to make an application in June 2009'

So am I just being over reactive or have I missed a link or something to take me to the application process?

Thanks
Reply 62
We're only 5 days into June, so they will make it available soon.
when they say June, they pretty much mean the last 2 weeks of june.. you'll be sent a letter shortly informing you of the halls application process.
Reply 64
I've heard the form will be on the site on the 13th June
to be fair as long as your application reached the hals office by the 31st July then its not going to be too much of an issue. its best to get it in as early as you can but you'll get a pack from the university prior to halls applications going online.

if anyone needed to apply through clearing then the deadline is the 31st August.

get in early to get the halls you want. I'm going to be updating the wiki over the next few weeks so that the most up to date information about the halls is on there. at present Emrys Evans is still listed on the wiki article and that got knocked down just under a year ago.
Reply 66
any info on the new halls mr daniel williams? are they exactly the same as the ones openened in 08?

there were somethings i saw that struck me about them... having a keycard that can be easily lost instead of a key... and having no light switch in the kitchen.

im hoping to go in them either way, the are lovely :smile:
Schooo
any info on the new halls mr daniel williams? are they exactly the same as the ones openened in 08?

there were somethings i saw that struck me about them... having a keycard that can be easily lost instead of a key... and having no light switch in the kitchen.

im hoping to go in them either way, the are lovely :smile:

the brand new ones opening in september 09 are nearing completion and will be identical to those new ones that opened in 08. 2 of them are looking scarily unfinished but they'll probably be completed on time based on how many people are working on them, though if not they'll be open by the end of october so if anyone has to be put in other accommodation temporarily they will be moved out into the new halls as was the case last year.

they will be having the keycard system as far as I can tell because it is deemed to be mroe secure than having a pin number entry and then room key, but who knows what they'll do.

as for light switches in teh kitchens i don't know about that :s-smilie: i thought all the kitchens had light switches but I know in the corridoors they have the motion sensor lights. unless they have those in the kitchens as well I can't help with that.
Are all the new halls based on the ffrifoedd (sp?)
I'll be in the School of computer science and engineering block, behind Aldi! So i'm wondering if anything's close?

When i went for my informal interview one of the lecturers said she'd never trust cycling in Bangor, is this really the case?!
ofmontreal_Lottie
Are all the new halls based on the ffrifoedd (sp?)
I'll be in the School of computer science and engineering block, behind Aldi! So i'm wondering if anything's close?

When i went for my informal interview one of the lecturers said she'd never trust cycling in Bangor, is this really the case?!

well to be fair unless you speak welsh and want to live in JMJ the closest halls are on ffriddoedd site. unless byn eithin is open this year :s-smilie:

as for cycling in bangor. it might make getting to lectures easier but getting home its harder. you can walk back faster to halls than you can cycle, this has been proven by myself and a friend. ther eis lalso a lot of one way systems and other nightmarish routes in bangor.

also if it rains you're looking at being killed on teh roads when they are wet and bangor is the only place in the world that gets horizontal rain it comes at your face rather than falling normally.

it takes about 15 minutes to walk from ffriddoedd site to Dean Street (computer science block) but it takes about 25 minutes to walk back on a bad day.
Is it just me or have Bangor not openned their accommodation yet? The website says June but its now the 5th and nothing's changed.

I've had no e-mail, letter and the website still says: 'Application will open in June 2009 and you will be able to download an application form from these pages. We will write to you to remind you to make an application in June 2009'

So am I just being over reactive or have I missed a link or something to take me to the application process?

Thanks

Hey, i've just rang the halls office to find out the dates the halls are opening so my mom can book the days off work to take me. (19th and 20th)
The lady on the phone said the accom's applications will be available to download on the site from after this saturday.

xx
take that as check friday night because that's when they'll put it up. or at least it was the case then I applied for halls 2 years ago.
Reply 72
daniel_williams
as for cycling in bangor. it might make getting to lectures easier but getting home its harder. you can walk back faster to halls than you can cycle, this has been proven by myself and a friend. ther eis lalso a lot of one way systems and other nightmarish routes in bangor.

also if it rains you're looking at being killed on teh roads when they are wet and bangor is the only place in the world that gets horizontal rain it comes at your face rather than falling normally.

Hey, about the matter of cycling, I've heard that its not really worth bringing a bike for getting around but I was just wondering about exercise/just for fun? Someone said Anglesey was great to go on a bike, but how far is that exactly?

Just not sure whether it's worth me bringing my bike or not :s-smilie:

Ben-G-Man
Hey, about the matter of cycling, I've heard that its not really worth bringing a bike for getting around but I was just wondering about exercise/just for fun? Someone said Anglesey was great to go on a bike, but how far is that exactly?

Just not sure whether it's worth me bringing my bike or not :s-smilie:

anglesey and other areas around bangor are superb for cycling, I myself have done a lot of it whislt in bangor. for day to day trasnport its not the best but if you like getting out and about and havinga bit of excercise then bring your bike. it really has some awesome bike routes.

also if you are a fan of mountain biing or bmx-ing then there is something for everyone.
Reply 74
daniel_williams
anglesey and other areas around bangor are superb for cycling, I myself have done a lot of it whislt in bangor. for day to day trasnport its not the best but if you like getting out and about and havinga bit of excercise then bring your bike. it really has some awesome bike routes.

also if you are a fan of mountain biing or bmx-ing then there is something for everyone.

Alrightey then, I'll probably bring it in that case, thankyou :biggrin: And thanks for the insanely fast reply :p:
Ben-G-Man
Alrightey then, I'll probably bring it in that case, thankyou :biggrin: And thanks for the insanely fast reply :p:

as you can probably tell I live on this site...

but seriously bring the bike up. we do ahvea mountain biking and cycling club within the union. might be something that you are interested in joining when you get here?
daniel_williams

but seriously bring the bike up. we do ahvea mountain biking and cycling club within the union. might be something that you are interested in joining when you get here?

I would be really interested in joining a mountain biking club, but obviously I can't bring my bike from the US...

Is there somewhere to rent bikes on a daily basis, or maybe a used bike shop? Thanks!
Reply 77
daniel_williams

Quite possibly, I have a mountain bike but I don't really go off-road that much, which i'm assuming they do, but it's certainly something I'd like to give a go. I'm planning to try out as many new things as possible when I get there, I'm not one to just sit around and get bored :biggrin:
Hi Guys,

sorry I´m not that active at the moment. I´m on holiday in ibiza!

there are mountain bike shops but no where that I know that you can rent a bike. i think you´ll probably have to talk to the mountainiking club about bikes. they might be more clued up than I am. but you can see them at serendipity on the wednesday and thursday of freshers week.
Reply 79
just wondering, i have no clue yet ?!?

Latest