The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anonymous
Also I will let you know how it goes and maybe if your problem gets worse we can both go to therapy :p:

Can I come with you? You sound alot like me! =[
Anonymous
Don't worry, I know it's much easier to give advice on this than to take it. I reckon I could be a counsellor the amount I've learnt about dealing with it, but still can't manage my own feelings.

I hate that feeling, when you know you're being utterly ridiculous but you can't stop your stomach turning round. It's not like I sit there watching films thinking how much I wish I was with all those men.

I tend to think about my boyfs past alot hes been with alot of people and is too confident, and like you, I wonder about how he was with his ex and if he liked her more at any point. I know its crazy too and for the most part Im just a normal gf but every so often Ill just randomly change into a psycho and make myself feel sick about unecessary things.

I just talk to him about it and he reassures me he'd never hurt me but he claimed he loved his ex but also told me he cheated on her cause she wouldnt let im do anything and got too clingy and annoying, which Im scared of becoming eeek. Its a never ending circle LOL. But talking does really help.
xkarenlouisex
I tend to think about my boyfs past alot hes been with alot of people and is too confident, and like you, I wonder about how he was with his ex and if he liked her more at any point. I know its crazy too and for the most part Im just a normal gf but every so often Ill just randomly change into a psycho and make myself feel sick about unecessary things.

I just talk to him about it and he reassures me he'd never hurt me but he claimed he loved his ex but also told me he cheated on her cause she wouldnt let im do anything and got too clingy and annoying, which Im scared of becoming eeek. Its a never ending circle LOL. But talking does really help.

You're gorgeous though :smile: so i wouldn't worry. I bet he's crazy about you.
Reply 23
Yes, let's ALL go to therapy. In a massive ball of insecure jealousy. It'll be beautiful. :p:

Oh god facebook ruins lives I swear. I also look at my boyfriends facebook, though I don't read his texts, I just check his wall to see who he's talking to and then make up implicit meanings of things as well. This is the hardest thing to not take out on him because it's solid and I can go back to it and see it again and again and analyze it and wind myself up. Arhh.

Good luck to everyone who is also trying to sort this out. I'm really glad I'm not alone, keep us updated.
haha facebook, i never use it, honestly i let my girlfriend do whatever she wants i never checkup on her because i can trust her in what she's doing

paranoia is very common as you can see ^ but best person to talk to is always your partner because they understand you like nobody else can
Anonymous
You're gorgeous though :smile: so i wouldn't worry. I bet he's crazy about you.

Hmm I dont agree always had a problem with seeing myself for what I am, I tend to just look in the mirror and want to smash it. Always had an issue with weight aswell ( thinking Im hideous etc ). So theres other issues with myself that perhaps make me paranoid about my boyf and perhaps I should sort them out before pointing any fingers at him but I dunno. It easier to give advice isn't it but yet I cant apply it to myself.

Seeing as you're anon I cant see you but Im sure you're gorgeous and despite you're behaviour are a great person, you seem really nice and you're behaviour isnt something you can't fix, and I get that you aren't trying to be a bitch. Its something you have no control over and thats what its like for me.
Reply 26
xkarenlouisex

I just talk to him about it and he reassures me he'd never hurt me but he claimed he loved his ex but also told me he cheated on her cause
she wouldnt let im do anything and got too clingy and annoying, which Im scared of becoming eeek. Its a never ending circle LOL. But talking does really help.

Exactly the same. And yes!! Fear of rejection is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more I think about not wanting that to happen, the worse I get and end up a snivelling mess of 'you don't like me' schoolgirl behaviour instead of the cool and calm girl he liked in the first place. Then you get worked up about that and so it goes on. Sigh.
Reply 27
Anonymous
Yes, let's ALL go to therapy. In a massive ball of insecure jealousy. It'll be beautiful. :p:

Oh god facebook ruins lives I swear. I also look at my boyfriends facebook, though I don't read his texts, I just check his wall to see who he's talking to and then make up implicit meanings of things as well. This is the hardest thing to not take out on him because it's solid and I can go back to it and see it again and again and analyze it and wind myself up. Arhh.

Good luck to everyone who is also trying to sort this out. I'm really glad I'm not alone, keep us updated.

It's so ridiculous. I hate it. I drive myself mental, and I don't know how he deals with me!! Argh I have so much more to say but have to go to work....I may come back to this lol.
Anonymous
Exactly the same. And yes!! Fear of rejection is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The more I think about not wanting that to happen, the worse I get and end up a snivelling mess of 'you don't like me' schoolgirl behaviour instead of the cool and calm girl he liked in the first place. Then you get worked up about that and so it goes on. Sigh.

OMG are we twins LOL.

When we first got together I was the cool gf yeah I dont care attitude I know he loves me, yet further down the line Im scared of him cheating or getting bored of me ( he always says how he got bored of previous girls and did'nt want anything other then some 'fun'). I also look at his facebook to see if hes become friends with people or girls have written on his wall. He accepted his ex on there the other week :frown:. His computer has broken though :smile: so he never goes online anymore unless @ a mates.

Gosh I sound awful Im not always like this just occasionally when the jealousy monster creeps in.
I'm an anorexic and find not eating a way of controlling myself I can't do with the jealousy issues; it's horrible and destructive but it's the only thing that makes me feel better. Part of me knows I'll ruin myself and my relationship but I don't know what else to do.
Reply 30
xkarenlouisex
OMG are we twins LOL.

When we first got together I was the cool gf yeah I dont care attitude I know he loves me, yet further down the line Im scared of him cheating or getting bored of me ( he always says how he got bored of previous girls and did'nt want anything other then some 'fun'). I also look at his facebook to see if hes become friends with people or girls have written on his wall. He accepted his ex on there the other week :frown:. His computer has broken though :smile: so he never goes online anymore unless @ a mates.

Gosh I sound awful Im not always like this just occasionally when the jealousy monster creeps in.

Lol, my bf has recently added his flatmate at uni who has always been really rude to be when I've met her and he's aware I feel insecure about her. She leaves him little comments being all chilled out and 'cool' and it drives me insane thinking - does he think she's more fun than me cos she isn't a crazy psycho. :woo: Which of course in turn makes me act like more of a crazy psycho.
Reply 31
Yeah, i'm another girl who's the same. Only with this guy have i ever felt jealous or insecure but i feel exactly the same - i try and take advice people give me but it just seems impossible. I;m considering getting help too, because this kind of behaviour drives people away.
Reply 32
I was like this with someone I loved though more open about it and I did end up losing him and it was extremely difficult. I think I was so paranoid just BECAUSE I loved him and I thought he was better than me.

Anyway don't mean to scare you further but my advice is DO NOT take it out on him and yes therapy is a good idea as are friends. If you really work on it you might be alright.

I know exactly what you mean about being 'cool' and collected and all the friends he was with were interesting, creative types and attractive girls. I felt so inadequate.... God when I look back I was a mess really. But he thought I was 'amazing' he told me that I just couldn't believe it.

You have to believe he wants to be with you and he loves you. I never believed it :frown:

Anyway now he's with a girl who makes him happy and not me. It really does hurt. The one ray of sunshine is I didn't believe I could ever cope without him once I fell in love with him but I am doing. I'm moving on with my life and doing stuff. I guess that's what I can say to help you: even if the 'absolute worst' happens and he dumps you or cheats on you - you will still be OK. You will still be you and have your own life and other people to love. You're stronger than you think.
Reply 33
Therapy is useless honestly.
ChocoLoco

do you know all of these people? because it works for some people and not others
Reply 35
ChocoLoco

It's not.
Reply 36
OP can I just ask are you a bit of a perfectionist? And scared of the future a bit? A procrastinator?
Reply 37
Heya OP :smile:

First of all, I have a prerequisite for you; search 'Desiderata' on Google, and read it. A bit random, maybe, but it gives me perspective whenever I read it. You have to realise that.. Well.. There are bigger and better things in life to think about. Despite how you're feeling, there's always some good about the situation, even if it's tiny.

Anyway. I empathise completely. I don't think there's any magical cure for your state of mind at the mo other than embracing your fear and doing the impossible. Like everyone's said, learn to love yourself, trust your judgement and learn to trust. It's the only way you'll find contentment, methinks.

A while ago, I was at a stage like yours. I was nitpicky about texts from my then-boyfriend and most often felt excluded from his life because he was more of a quiet type, even though to me, in the grand scale of it all, he was the best thing since sliced bread. I loved him with every fibre of my being. But then there was always unrest in my mind, and I let things bug me- I think at one point I, too, got kind of fixated with his ex, even though he'd expressed an obvious dislike for the girl, and to be honest, I think I was going through the motions of being a difficult girlfriend because I didn't know what to do with myself. I bit the bullet and decided to go with my overreactive emotional mindsplurge and eventually ended up kind of unintentionally telling him to change. Something like, I don't feel like I'm properly involved in your life, you need to be more open, or I can't go on. I imagine he took that quite hard, and was insulted by my behaviour- in retrospect, I know and did know that there should never be any need to ask someone to change who they are, and to this day I think that isn't really what I wanted. I was in a crazy place.

So.

Reasons and arguments aside, my problem, I've come to believe, was that I didn't know enough about myself, what I valued and what I could deal with before getting into this awesome relationship. I'd brought with me my insecurities from the past, and my preconceptions from other people's relationships, possibly resulting in one of the most painful mistakes of my life thus far; I lost the guy I loved. What can I do but urge you to detach yourself from the situation and think about what /matters/- this guy /loves/ you, that's evident, and probably has no clue how to fix what you're going through, because it's all self-inflicted, even though he'll want to make it all go away for you. Put yourself in his shoes, and learn to see what he sees in you. Some insanely amazing, vastly good-looking, all around beautiful girl that he feels lucky to be with, probably. Learning to respect who you are and appreciate your faults and strengths is not the same as being arrogant, vain or self-absorbed- it's a necessity for you to be able to put your heart into a relationship and make it work, otherwise you'll have no strength left for yourself.

Anyhoo. That's my two cents. I really hope you find it in you to take a leap :smile:
Reply 38
Anisaar
Heya OP :smile:

First of all, I have a prerequisite for you; search 'Desiderata' on Google, and read it. A bit random, maybe, but it gives me perspective whenever I read it. You have to realise that.. Well.. There are bigger and better things in life to think about. Despite how you're feeling, there's always some good about the situation, even if it's tiny.

Anyway. I empathise completely. I don't think there's any magical cure for your state of mind at the mo other than embracing your fear and doing the impossible. Like everyone's said, learn to love yourself, trust your judgement and learn to trust. It's the only way you'll find contentment, methinks.

A while ago, I was at a stage like yours. I was nitpicky about texts from my then-boyfriend and most often felt excluded from his life because he was more of a quiet type, even though to me, in the grand scale of it all, he was the best thing since sliced bread. I loved him with every fibre of my being. But then there was always unrest in my mind, and I let things bug me- I think at one point I, too, got kind of fixated with his ex, even though he'd expressed an obvious dislike for the girl, and to be honest, I think I was going through the motions of being a difficult girlfriend because I didn't know what to do with myself. I bit the bullet and decided to go with my overreactive emotional mindsplurge and eventually ended up kind of unintentionally telling him to change. Something like, I don't feel like I'm properly involved in your life, you need to be more open, or I can't go on. I imagine he took that quite hard, and was insulted by my behaviour- in retrospect, I know and did know that there should never be any need to ask someone to change who they are, and to this day I think that isn't really what I wanted. I was in a crazy place.

So.

Reasons and arguments aside, my problem, I've come to believe, was that I didn't know enough about myself, what I valued and what I could deal with before getting into this awesome relationship. I'd brought with me my insecurities from the past, and my preconceptions from other people's relationships, possibly resulting in one of the most painful mistakes of my life thus far; I lost the guy I loved. What can I do but urge you to detach yourself from the situation and think about what /matters/- this guy /loves/ you, that's evident, and probably has no clue how to fix what you're going through, because it's all self-inflicted, even though he'll want to make it all go away for you. Put yourself in his shoes, and learn to see what he sees in you. Some insanely amazing, vastly good-looking, all around beautiful girl that he feels lucky to be with, probably. Learning to respect who you are and appreciate your faults and strengths is not the same as being arrogant, vain or self-absorbed- it's a necessity for you to be able to put your heart into a relationship and make it work, otherwise you'll have no strength left for yourself.

Anyhoo. That's my two cents. I really hope you find it in you to take a leap :smile:

Sounds exactly like me :yep:

Great post, but I also want to give you a hug :o:
lebanon85
OP can I just ask are you a bit of a perfectionist? And scared of the future a bit? A procrastinator?

I know I'm not the OP but woaah does that describe me.

Latest

Trending

Trending