The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Any British Born Chinese Who Are More Socially Western??

Scroll to see replies

chinese_scouser
whats wrong with being 6''2 and why not giv u much hope??

yes this type of BBC reminds me of a family friend, she is nearly the same age as me and probably 1 out of 3 chinese friends i have. we are very close and really good friends since we wer in primary school together. but she is in uni studying science degree and she is fluent in chinese etc.. my parents love her, and always seem to compare everything she does to me.. annoying or what!!!

I guess it's mainly because a lot of chinese girls tend to be quite shy, so being fairly tall makes me more intimidating and doesn't help the situation if that makes sense?

The comparing thing seriously does my head in. A friend I used to know does medicine and he's constantly cropping up in conversation about how well he's doing etc. He also speaks and write fluent cantonese which just makes matters worse :p: I'm pretty sure every BBC knows at least ONE person like this. Whenever my parents say I should learn Canto, I always tell them, "It's cool, I can get by and that's all that matters". They give me a dirty look afterwards.
6''2 tall for chinese, but i know someone who that height too and my dad pretty tall too. lol everyone always comments on his height and not to mess with him!!

haha your reply back to ur parents tellin u to learn canto is hilarious!!
Reply 22
The OP is a ******* self hate bitch! Chinese girls r sooooo fuglyyyyyyyy!!!
I'm a half Chinese half Cornish guy. Been brought up very much in a Western way, with perhaps a few stronger emphasises on some values, but there isn't much there. Not speaking any oriental languages means I'm not at all part of the British Chinese community, which is a shame : /.

If what you say about preferring white guys is true then maybe the trend is coming over from America. If so, uh oh.
Reply 24
wow, everyone on this thread is a BBC then? i share some of the problems you all have as well, being that my parents want me to date a chinese person rather than the latter... o.O
My best friend is BBC but she's so westernised that she doesn't even speak the language at home and her cousins refuse to speak it at all. She dresses totally westernly and only eats chinese food at home.
Chinese guys in this country are on the vast majority social retards and geeks. Not a bad thing necessarily if they like it that way.
Reply 27
More westernised
Reply 28
These days Many British born Chinese are integrated quite well.

They aren't like people from other Asian countries who stick much closer to their roots.
Reply 29
I am a BBC and was the only Chinese person in my primary and secondary school. In college there was only 2 others and I met my Chinese boyfriend through university. I am quite lucky because though my parents are intensely overprotective, I was able to study Art instead of something boring such as Science, Law etc. :p:

I can speak okay Cantonese but can't write or read it. It's frustrating when people would always get my name wrong at first and because of the overprotective ness of my parents I feel like I have missed out quite a lot of the fun student life that my British friends experience... :frown:

I am attracted to East Asian People and don't care much for white people in terms of attraction. I feel this is because I live in a ghetto of Middle Eastern and Other community.
Reply 30
Not a BBC but I've lived here for over half of my life and am pretty much 90% British, I certainly think of myself as British.

My friends are very mixed, I'm friends with many Chinese people through family connections, and asians/white/blacks through school and uni. I would say, though, that most of my Chinese friends are very westernised too... and all date white guys (I'm no exception :o:). I know some parents who mind it slightly (but not so much yet as we're so young), however mine are completely fine. I think as strict as my parents are with regards to education :rolleyes: at least they realise the importance of integrating socially :smile:

I have to be honest and say it bewilders and annoys me when I see BBCs hanging out exclusively in huge Chinese groups... I can understand international students grouping together, but not people who has grown up here and should be socially mixed.
Interesting topic. I have quite a few friends that are BBC and it is interesting when I ask them "if the UK and China were to have a war, who would you fight for?"

.. and they all say the UK as they're British inside. Quite admirable I think!
Original post by chinese_scouser
just wondering if any BBC's here dress more western than they do chinese? and also your social aspects, have you more british friends than chinese?
also my dad is originally from hong kong, so he is still really strict and still has his chinese culture and traditions. he hates me going out with my british friends, and also would like me to go out with a chinese :s-smilie: but i do not find chinese guys attractive at all, and like english lads. has anyone else have parents like this???
comments appreciated! :smile:

I always understood being born and raised in the west as somewhat unarguably categorizing someone as such.

About dressing western, lolwut?...short of going around wearing a chairman Mao suit or those Chinese dresses chances are you dress 'western' in that everyone wears casual clothes.

Globalization ftw.
Reply 33
Original post by bob'syouruncle
Well i'm singaporean british and yeah my parents really frown upon me having british friends (especially girls), they have like this stereotype against them, so I try not to speak to them about my friends very much haha :woo:

So they move to the UK and yet want to isolate themselves from British people? That attitude is what gives immigrants a bad name.
Original post by bob'syouruncle
Well i'm singaporean british and yeah my parents really frown upon me having british friends (especially girls), they have like this stereotype against them, so I try not to speak to them about my friends very much haha :woo:

If your parents have problems with the British why don't they **** off back home, ungrateful bastards
(edited 13 years ago)
I have more white and brown friends than Chinese friends (most of the ones in my school are freaks O.o). Also I wasn't aware chinese people dressed differently
Original post by Meh.
Not a BBC but I've lived here for over half of my life and am pretty much 90% British, I certainly think of myself as British.

My friends are very mixed, I'm friends with many Chinese people through family connections, and asians/white/blacks through school and uni. I would say, though, that most of my Chinese friends are very westernised too... and all date white guys (I'm no exception :o:). I know some parents who mind it slightly (but not so much yet as we're so young), however mine are completely fine. I think as strict as my parents are with regards to education :rolleyes: at least they realise the importance of integrating socially :smile:

I have to be honest and say it bewilders and annoys me when I see BBCs hanging out exclusively in huge Chinese groups... I can understand international students grouping together, but not people who has grown up here and should be socially mixed.

I have to disagree with you. There's nothing wrong to hanging out with your own kind. It is just more comfortable to be around your kind.

I am third generation Chinese, and i do have lots of non-chinese friends as well as chinese friends. It is a bit of a different feeling when you hang out with certain groups.

Thos BBCs that only date White Guys and Only White Guys because they find chinese guys unattractive are retarded. Someone must have done something to her in the past or they just find White Guys as "GOD". It is pretty racism and harsh but it is the truth.

As far as familty being strict, it is true. Chinese tradition/culture are very strict, especially when it comes to higher learning. They push you to the limit. That's why we are richest and most educated minority in Europe. Chinese tends to do very well financially.

I am very western and have been here in Europe/US most of my life. My parents are also born in Europe and my grandfather moved to europe in the 30s. I do find Chinese girls to be very attractive. Sorry but i don't really treat white people as "GOD" as most chinese girls do. I just treat them as normal people. It's really ashame to hear chinese girls today who have very low self esteem of their culture/tradition.
Hong Kong is not exactly 3rd world. Why did your olds move here in the first place?
Reply 38
chriseverclear
As far as familty being strict, it is true. Chinese tradition/culture are very strict, especially when it comes to higher learning. They push you to the limit. That's why we are richest and most educated minority in Europe. Chinese tends to do very well financially.

I am very western and have been here in Europe/US most of my life. My parents are also born in Europe and my grandfather moved to europe in the 30s. I do find Chinese girls to be very attractive. Sorry but i don't really treat white people as "GOD" as most chinese girls do. I just treat them as normal people. It's really ashame to hear chinese girls today who have very low self esteem of their culture/tradition.
The parents of BBC are almost anachronisms. Their cultural development stopped when they left China. They're like British expats who wear bowler hats and take tea everyday at 4pm, and are insecure about any changes to their culture.