The Student Room Group

My chances at Oxford Law.

I am in a state of panic as I have just realized that you need to put down all your Secondary Education grades and that involves my C in Physics. Therefore my iGCSEs are 4 A* 2A 1B and that C. I am deeply disappointed as I always hoped that I would be able not to include this on my UCAS form. Perhaps some of you might find this amusing or you might be thinking what a fool I am , well I have the excuse of the fact that no one ever explained to me this process. I will certainly not go into explaining my C in that subject as it may look even more pathetic. I wont explain my B either ( in economics).My school only offers up to 7 subjects.
I have always dream of studying a social or a political science at Oxford and I have set my sight at Law as not only does Oxford offer it in the form that most other British universities don't- they offer it in the context of Jurisprudence. I have been committed all year in perhaps one day making my dream come true and studying at Oxford as I am doing 7 AS subjects and have been doing plenty of reading around Law and its roots and origins.
My teachers describe me as bright, one particularly encouraging me to apply to Oxford as I have all the skills to impress at interview. However, that is indeed subjective. I am not trying to present myself as someone of high intelligence , yet I am someone of high determination and enthusiasm to succeeded. THis could indeed be evident after I got my IGCSE results back and it spurred be to take it a level higher and focus on that aim of doing Jurisprudence.
It is not that I as , you fellow TSRians, once again , this repetitive yet alarming nature: Can I get into Oxford Law?

I am sorry for being so direct and sounding needy but this is how I feel at the moment studying for exams and I need your utmost honest opinion.This is all I have to ask for now!
Thank you,
Alex

Scroll to see replies

Doing 7AS' really isn't necessary - yes 7As would look excellent, but only negligibly better than your average 4/5A's. Especially for Oxford your time would be better spent reading exclusively around the Law and related areas to give you a firm understanding for the interview.

Your grades seem good enough to get you an interview but you'll need to do decently in the Law National Admissions Test (LNAT) to secure an one. When it comes to Oxbridge, particulary in a subject like Law, no-one is ever guaranteed to get in - so you can get in, but it's also likely that you won't. All you can do is give it your all.
Reply 2
Woah, what AS are you studying and how are you performing? You definately have a chance still, however you don't need to take 7 AS to impress! :smile:
Reply 3
hey ninety_nine and beachboi! Thanx for the response , really needed it , guys!

I do 7 AS as I have the opportunity of doing all 7 and perhaps continuing them to A2 as they are subjects I enjoy(except for Mathematics) and believe could help me in the future. The list is as follows:colone:conomics, History, Politics, Ancient History , Greek and Russian ( long story)as well as Mathematics. I am getting As on all the subjects except for that of Mathematics , on which I'm horribly struggling to even get an A ,sometime a B. Ancient History is A2 by the way , but it is a thoroughly enjoyable subject, trust me and it is a joy going to class and writing essays haha. No seriously, very interesting.
I am aware of the LNAT as I have been on this forum for quite some time however, I was not aware that you are obliged to include all your AS and O'level/IGCSE grades and that C really let me down.
Okay...right.
Your GCSEs seem good; no...they are good.
Look mate, you don't have to be a straight A-A* to get into Oxbridge; I know a few people who got all B's in their GCSE, got 4As, applied and got an Offer. So when it comes down to it, your A levels show the insignificance of the GCSEs

7ASs - Impressive; I'm doing 6 (look at my signature if you need) and I did one A level in Secondary school - But I'm slightly dubious about the History and Ancient History. I mean; despite them being of different historical backgrounds; they are still both History subjects.
Okay, away from that - You are aware that the A* is being introduced I hope. Now Oxford have said this time round that they will not bring out the A* for their offer- However; I'd still aim for that kind of score if you are looking to get into Oxbridge.
Another thing - Practice and near perfect your LNAT.
If you got AAA and a very good LNAT, you have a better chance of getting in than for example: AAAAA and a average LNAT.
So to be honest; you want to hone your skills...probably drop to 5 Next year - Aim for A*s and choose alternative universities just in case - because Law at LSE has shown higher entry requirements sometimes than Oxbridge; particularly in Economics etc...
So what are the alternatives?
Reply 5
myriadofatoms
hey ninety_nine and beachboi! Thanx for the response , really needed it , guys!

I do 7 AS as I have the opportunity of doing all 7 and perhaps continuing them to A2 as they are subjects I enjoy(except for Mathematics) and believe could help me in the future. The list is as follows:colone:conomics, History, Politics, Ancient History , Greek and Russian ( long story)as well as Mathematics. I am getting As on all the subjects except for that of Mathematics , on which I'm horribly struggling to even get an A ,sometime a B. Ancient History is A2 by the way , but it is a thoroughly enjoyable subject, trust me and it is a joy going to class and writing essays haha. No seriously, very interesting.
I am aware of the LNAT as I have been on this forum for quite some time however, I was not aware that you are obliged to include all your AS and O'level/IGCSE grades and that C really let me down.

First of all, congratulations on getting impressive results so far!

In my opinion, your grades are capable of getting you an interview and, as you already may know, from then on it's up to you and your performance there. Make sure you have good references, good personal statement and LNAT, and you should be fine. No one will be able to tell you for definite how high your chances are, but it is certainly worth a try and that C should not stand in your way. You are proving yourself capable in your AS subjects so far and one bad mark should not undermine your chances. However, if you don't like Mathematics and find it hard to get an A, drop it at A2 and continue with subjects that you like and are confident in terms of likelihood of achieving A's. Otherwise, you might want to keep 4 subjects at A level and work hard to achieve A*'s in all of them :wink:

Either way, try to do your best at your exams and stay confident. You are doing the right things by reading around the subject and that should serve you well, should you go to interview next year.
Reply 6
Yes , my IGCSEs are not as bad as it seems but by looking at some of the other Law applicants and I mean specifically Law ( being one of the harder courses to get in to) I look incomparable.
Reply 7
eve_22
First of all, congratulations on getting impressive results so far!

In my opinion, your grades are capable of getting you an interview and, as you already may know, from then on it's up to you and your performance there. Make sure you have good references, good personal statement and LNAT, and you should be fine. No one will be able to tell you for definite how high your chances are, but it is certainly worth a try and that C should not stand in your way. You are proving yourself capable in your AS subjects so far and one bad mark should not undermine your chances. However, if you don't like Mathematics and find it hard to get an A, drop it at A2 and continue with subjects that you like and are confident in terms of likelihood of achieving A's. Otherwise, you might want to keep 4 subjects at A level and work hard to achieve A*'s in all of them :wink:

Either way, try to do your best at your exams and stay confident. You are doing the right things by reading around the subject and that should serve you well, should you go to interview next year.

Hey, Eve! Thanx for the reply. I might continue mathematics next year as I have the opportunity of doing it in the summer and also the fact that my last two modules will be the two statistics modules which are much more easier than C3 and C4.
Once, again thanx for the massive confidence boost- I wish you all the best!
Reply 8
Stricof
Okay...right.
Look mate, you don't have to be a straight A-A* to get into Oxbridge; I know a few people who got all B's in their GCSE, got 4As, applied and got an Offer. So when it comes down to it, your A levels show the insignificance of the GCSEs

7ASs - Impressive; I'm doing 6 (look at my signature if you need) and I did one A level in Secondary school - But I'm slightly dubious about the History and Ancient History. I mean; despite them being of different historical backgrounds; they are still both History subjects.
Okay, away from that - You are aware that the A* is being introduced I hope. Now Oxford have said this time round that they will not bring out the A* for their offer- However; I'd still aim for that kind of score if you are looking to get into Oxbridge.
If you got AAA and a very good LNAT, you have a better chance of getting in than for example: AAAAA and a average LNAT.
So to be honest; you want to hone your skills...probably drop to 5 Next year - Aim for A*s and choose alternative universities just in case - because Law at LSE has shown higher entry requirements sometimes than Oxbridge; particularly in Economics etc...

First of all, being someone who is very good at mathematics I wanted to ask you if I have any chance of success in getting an A, albeit a low one on Mathematics A level. The reason why I ask is that for the last two modules I will select Statistics 1&2 ,which I was told are much easier than C3 and C4.
Did you do the LNAT to test yourself or you considered applying for Law?
To answer your question ( not sure if it was a rhetorical one haha) , the other options are indeed LSE being the obvious one and maybe even UCL or KCL. Bristol looks nice and well, Nottingham but just for the reputation and as a last resort. UNiversity of Leeds, Edinburgh, Manchester and Warwick are also on my shortlist - there isn't much of a suprise here when it comes to choices for Law, however so as to remove the usual stereotype I have considered McGill which is a highly respected university for Law in North America ( Specifically in Montreal, Canada).
Reply 9
Having a C grade is far from disastrous: one of my friends got into Cambridge for law this year with a C at GCSE.
Reply 10
myriadofatoms
Hey, Eve! Thanx for the reply. I might continue mathematics next year as I have the opportunity of doing it in the summer and also the fact that my last two modules will be the two statistics modules which are much more easier than C3 and C4.
Once, again thanx for the massive confidence boost- I wish you all the best!

No problem, I'm glad I could help :smile:

To be honest with you, I did not believe that I could make it into Oxford either and I do not even have A levels, only a Certificate of HE. My position is different, as I am 23 and applied as mature student, however, I just wanted to point out that things are possible if you work hard for it and you know exactly what you want. :yep:

Best of luck!
Reply 11
Stricof
Okay...right.

Stricof
Okay...right.

First of all, being someone who is very good at mathematics I wanted to ask you if I have any chance of success in getting an A, albeit a low one on Mathematics A level. The reason why I ask is that for the last two modules I will select Statistics 1&2 ,which I was told are much easier than C3 and C4.
To answer your question ( not sure if it was a rhetorical one haha) , the other options are indeed LSE being the obvious one and maybe even UCL or KCL. Bristol looks nice and well, Nottingham but just for the reputation and as a last resort. UNiversity of Leeds, Edinburgh, Manchester and Warwick are also on my shortlist - there isn't much of a suprise here when it comes to choices for Law, however so as to remove the usual stereotype I have considered McGill which is a highly respected university for Law in North America ( Specifically in Montreal, Canada).
LSE shows higher requirements for economics ,however not for Law.
You congratulating on my impressive results so far was sarcasm. If yes , then okay I'll accept a joke haha. But even if it wasn't , how can your grades so far be compared to mine?
i got into cambridge for economics with a c grade at gcse (albeit in food technology).

it sounds like you're a strong applicant. definitely apply.
Reply 13
Tyrotoxism
i got into cambridge for economics with a c grade at gcse (albeit in food technology).

it sounds like you're a strong applicant. definitely apply.

Yah funny...food tech! Nice one! I got a B in Economics ( a subject I love) and C in Physics( O level, I hated it but well long story...)
Reply 14
Just apply, you sound like a good candidate.
Reply 15
Guys have in mind that I'm an international applicant!
myriadofatoms

Depends on perception - I prefer Pure Units to the applied units - I alctually dislike Statistics and I picked Mechanics units M1 and 2 for A level.
But I agree - the basic levels of applied Mathematics is easier than C3 and 4.

I've already applied to University. Not to the law course, but to Oxford.

To answer your question ( not sure if it was a rhetorical one haha) , the other
options are indeed LSE being the obvious one and maybe even UCL or KCL. Bristol looks nice and well, Nottingham but just for the reputation and as a last resort. UNiversity of Leeds, Edinburgh, Manchester and Warwick are also on my shortlist - there isn't much of a suprise here when it comes to choices for Law, however so as to remove the usual stereotype I have considered McGill which is a highly respected university for Law in North America ( Specifically in Montreal, Canada).
It wasn't a rhetorical don't worry - but I'd pick one that exceeds your expectations - 3 that are on your predictions or around that and then one back up uni that is a grade under your predictions.

LSE shows higher requirements for economics ,however not for Law.
That is a base requirement - it isn't actually AAB for Law at LSE, it is AAA unless you do not conform to normal circumstances like you come from a disadvantaged background -more than often AAAA/40 is not enough for Law at LSE

You congratulating on my impressive results so far was sarcasm. If yes , then okay I'll accept a joke haha. But even if it wasn't , how can your grades so far be compared to mine?
I'm not comparing my grades to yours - My grades are in terms of AS and A level grades; you are still yet to get your AS's. I'm doing my A2s. There was no comparison, no sarcasm and I am serious - Your grades are good.
Reply 17
Don't be too hung up on the fact that it's called Jurisprudence at Oxford. It's just the name they give it. It doesn't mean that all your modules will be taught from a jurisprudential point of view. I believe Jurisprudence is a compulsory module there, but this is the case at most top universities.
emmings
Don't be too hung up on the fact that it's called Jurisprudence at Oxford. It's just the name they give it. It doesn't mean that all your modules will be taught from a jurisprudential point of view. I believe Jurisprudence is a compulsory module there, but this is the case at most top universities.

I think Oxford is the only major university to make jurisprudence compulsory (I could be totally wrong however. It certainly isn't compulsory at Cambridge though). But you are absolutely right to make this point.

Op, just because the course is called jurisprudence doesn't mean its jurisprudence - don't get too het up about the name
myriadofatoms
I am in a state of panic as I have just realized that you need to put down all your Secondary Education grades and that involves my C in Physics. Therefore my iGCSEs are 4 A* 2A 1B and that C. I am deeply disappointed as I always hoped that I would be able not to include this on my UCAS form. Perhaps some of you might find this amusing or you might be thinking what a fool I am , well I have the excuse of the fact that no one ever explained to me this process. I will certainly not go into explaining my C in that subject as it may look even more pathetic. I wont explain my B either ( in economics).My school only offers up to 7 subjects.
I have always dream of studying a social or a political science at Oxford and I have set my sight at Law as not only does Oxford offer it in the form that most other British universities don't- they offer it in the context of Jurisprudence. I have been committed all year in perhaps one day making my dream come true and studying at Oxford as I am doing 7 AS subjects and have been doing plenty of reading around Law and its roots and origins.
My teachers describe me as bright, one particularly encouraging me to apply to Oxford as I have all the skills to impress at interview. However, that is indeed subjective. I am not trying to present myself as someone of high intelligence , yet I am someone of high determination and enthusiasm to succeeded. THis could indeed be evident after I got my IGCSE results back and it spurred be to take it a level higher and focus on that aim of doing Jurisprudence.
It is not that I as , you fellow TSRians, once again , this repetitive yet alarming nature: Can I get into Oxford Law?

I am sorry for being so direct and sounding needy but this is how I feel at the moment studying for exams and I need your utmost honest opinion.This is all I have to ask for now!
Thank you,
Alex

All you need is to work your hardest and still make sure you enjoy yourself and keep it real. people have got in with much worse grades.

maybe I'm missing the fact you are an international student.. perhaps you should check the website to see if they discriminate due to nationality.

Latest

Trending

Trending