The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I see absolutely nothing wrong with that, if that was a man then I doubt nothing would be made of it, just another case of the media trying to hoodwink the public. In a situation like that when police are clearly trying to control a crowd of people in front of them the last thing they need is someone coming up behind them drawing attention/antagonizing them which could lead them to putting their guard down to the big group in front who could easily and quickly, in such a situation gain the upper hand on the police. Police need to keep control for their own safety they can't afford themselves to be distracted like that when theres a massive group of people outnumbering them in front.
Reply 21
azhao
meh, it was a man in the vid, you PC nazi:eek:

Too much Hot Fuzz XD
Reply 22
jacketpotato
This. If people don't want to get hit, why on Earth do they get in the face of the police? What do they hope to achieve?

To try to go home, use the toilet, have something to eat or drink after being penned in for hours...?
Reply 23
I don't know why this is so shocking. The police are corrupt, surely everyone has come to terms with this by now? They attack people. People like Ian Tomlinson, who died shortly after being pushed to the ground by the police for walking home with his hands in his pockets.

Even if you disagree with the protesters, even if you think she deserved to be backhanded across the face for shouting at a group of armed police (who were supposed to be making sure the march was a peaceful one, and ended up causing havok by kettling people), and then being beaten on the back on the knees with a heavy baton, it's still illegal for the police to remove, cover or modify their identification numbers, which many were seen to have done, not just at the G20 rally but on many occassions.
Reply 24
In the video is said she says ''I'm a woman'' after being hit. That explains a lot.
Reply 25
I bet she was antagonising him before this happened but purely on the video I'm happy enough he did nothing wrong. He wasn't singling her out, he seemed to be contending with a crowd at the time of the slap/push when she invaded his personal space. He's not there to debate, hes not there to shout louder, he's not standing there to take abuse. He wants people to stay back and when a verbal warning is ignored he can use an extent of force.

She looked like she would happily argue/distract him from his job and was not backing off.
o_O It wasn't even that bad, and she deserved it for getting in that policeman's face like that. I can't believe that she tried to use her being a woman as a reason why she shouldn't be swatted away like the pest that she was being, honestly...
emarie
I don't know why this is so shocking. The police are corrupt, surely everyone has come to terms with this by now? They attack people. People like Ian Tomlinson, who died shortly after being pushed to the ground by the police for walking home with his hands in his pockets.

He wasn't walking home at all. He'd been there for over an hour. There's videos of him standing in front of police vans refusing to move.

And do you really think pushing someone to the ground causes them to have a heart attack half an hour later?

Yeah. Alright then.
cognito_08
Hope this hasn't already been posted.

A new video from the G20 protests, shows a policeman hitting a female protester, first with his hand, then his baton.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090414/video/vuk-new-video-footage-exposes-g20-police-49bfa63.html

Why is her being female relevant? Is it okay to hit male protesters?
Reply 29
wouldn't have made it to the news if it hadnt been a women..
well it sounds like she was swearing at him and getting in his face. What do you expect him to do? If he pushes her hard she might fall and he'd get done if the poor lass skinned her knees so he have her a talk to the hand. At least he didn't punch her, I'd have been tempted.

AND once she gets slapped she comes back for more and gets in his face AGAIN! Then he batons her leg and she stops. But it's obvious she wanted him to do something to make this sort of thing happen. Do you know what it's like in foreign countries, you'd get a hell of a lot worse then a backhand and a baton to the side of your leg if you started swearing a cop right in his face.

And also another police officer said this to people shoving camera's in a fellow officers face:

" yeah that's right get your million pound photo of us hitting someone"

He sums it up perfectly. These people want the police to DEFEND themselves so they can film it and then call the police violent. I think a lot of people just don't put themselves in the place of the policemen. It's all to easy to say "oh well he shouldn't have used force" from behind a computer screen but when your surrounded by screaming idiots swearing at you and getting right in your face all day, with many pushing themselves against you, spitting on you, throwing things at you etc when your just DOING YOUR JOB, your going to defend yourself by using force. I know I would have done, personally I would have shoved her back once, shoved again if she got in my face again, then either got out the baton and gone for the thigh(like he did after the slap) OR if I was able to grab her and take her to be arrested. I don't think it was practical or him to grab her and pull her away screaming and swearing to a police van behind the frontline so a baton to the leg is enough. If she came back I'd have done a baton to the side of the head but then I'd get it trouble...:yep:
Reply 31
TommyWannabe
And do you really think pushing someone to the ground causes them to have a heart attack half an hour later?

Yeah. Alright then.

Erm whether or not Tomlinson had that heart attack doesnt matter. The TSG guy should not have hit him :rolleyes: so there is simply no argument about his case at all. The officer got carried away in the moment and if you notice the rest of his colleagues did not get involved which they were right to do

In the case of this woman, officers are taught to leave space (fighting arc) between themselves and others. The woman kept invading his personal space. It is difficult to know if she is carrying a weapon so the natural thing to do would be to incapacitate her (which he did) as trying to arrest her with that crowd around would probably turn nasty
Reply 32
joey11223
well it sounds like she was swearing at him and getting in his face. What do you expect him to do? If he pushes her hard she might fall and he'd get done if the poor lass skinned her knees so he have her a talk to the hand. At least he didn't punch her, I'd have been tempted.

AND once she gets slapped she comes back for more and gets in his face AGAIN! Then he batons her leg and she stops. But it's obvious she wanted him to do something to make this sort of thing happen. Do you know what it's like in foreign countries, you'd get a hell of a lot worse then a backhand and a baton to the side of your leg if you started swearing a cop right in his face.

And also another police officer said this to people shoving camera's in a fellow officers face:

" yeah that's right get your million pound photo of us hitting someone"

He sums it up perfectly. These people want the police to DEFEND themselves so they can film it and then call the police violent. I think a lot of people just don't put themselves in the place of the policemen. It's all to easy to say "oh well he shouldn't have used force" from behind a computer screen but when your surrounded by screaming idiots swearing at you and getting right in your face all day, with many pushing themselves against you, spitting on you, throwing things at you etc when your just DOING YOUR JOB, your going to defend yourself by using force. I know I would have done, personally I would have shoved her back once, shoved again if she got in my face again, then either got out the baton and gone for the thigh(like he did after the slap) OR if I was able to grab her and take her to be arrested. I don't think it was practical or him to grab her and pull her away screaming and swearing to a police van behind the frontline so a baton to the leg is enough. If she came back I'd have done a baton to the side of the head but then I'd get it trouble...:yep:

Yeah because because someone screaming in your face does not equate to you knocking them on the head with your asp. You would get suspended
The soap dodging hippies like it rough :yep: :top: :spank:
Reply 34
Very disproportionate.

For all those people out there who thinks the sun shines out of a coppers arse, they are bound by the same laws as the protesters. Unless they were enforcing the law they can't just go randomly brutalising people. This "officer" should be held to account.

The police are not special and never, ever should be treated as such. Police tactics on that day with hemming protesters like sardines into small areas and not letting them leave for toilets, food etc were highly provocative.

The law doesn't suddenly disappear because of a protest. It was hardly a riot.

He should be fired and imprisoned for assault.

If a policeman tried walked near me like that on the street and I reacted like that copper did, I'd be down the old bill faster then I can regret it. It is important in a democracy that the police are treated the same as normal citizens.
Rokit
Erm whether or not Tomlinson had that heart attack doesnt matter. The TSG guy should not have hit him :rolleyes: so there is simply no argument about his case at all. The officer got carried away in the moment and if you notice the rest of his colleagues did not get involved which they were right to do

Well why do people keep saying;

"Police pushed the now dead man to the ground half an hour before his heart attack."

It obviously does matter as the stupid people in this world seem to be buying it.
Reply 36
jacketpotato
This. If people don't want to get hit, why on Earth do they get in the face of the police? What do they hope to achieve?

this, although it does seem like the police had already decided there was going to be a riot way before coming into contact with any protectors.
RyanT
Very disproportionate.

For all those people out there who thinks the sun shines out of a coppers arse, they are bound by the same laws as the protesters. Unless they were enforcing the law they can't just go randomly brutalising people. This "officer" should be held to account.

The police are not special and never, ever should be treated as such. Police tactics on that day with hemming protesters like sardines into small areas and not letting them leave for toilets, food etc were highly provocative.

The law doesn't suddenly disappear because of a protest. It was hardly a riot.

He should be fired and imprisoned for assault.

If a policeman tried walked near me like that on the street and I reacted like that copper did, I'd be down the old bill faster then I can regret it. It is important in a democracy that the police are treated the same as normal citizens.

The police should be treated the same as normal citizens? What authority would that give them then?

Come on, at least think before you post.
Reply 38
Callum828
Why is her being female relevant? Is it okay to hit male protesters?

Yes, of course it is, if they're not moving on when directed by police.
james99
Yes, of course it is, if they're not moving on when directed by police.

But not to hit females in exactly the same situation?

Latest

Trending

Trending