The Student Room Group

A2 Studying Crime & Deviance Essay

Hi,

I've been given a question saying "Assess the theoretical, practical and ethical considerations sociologicsts need to take into account when selecting methods for studying crime and deviance."
I know that this is actually quite easy once I get going but I'm attempting to write a plan and it's not really working. The hard thing is that I missed 4 months and only started back at college in January so I haven't done the Theory and Methods exam stuff at all yet. I just watned a little bit of direction as to where to start or maybe a basic plan and then I can expand the rest.
Thank you
Reply 1
When we did the research methods paper in AS our teacher told us to set it out like P.E.T (Practical, ethical, theoretical) Doesn't matter what order though, its just so we could remember it.

Practical = Time, cost, accessibility, reliability, safety, representatve sample

Ethical = Informed consent, right to withdraw and other ethics

Theoretical = Quantitative/Qualitative, Positivist/Interpretivist reliability/validity

I would assume thats the kind of things you have to mention but apply it all to different methods of studying crime...

I really hope this is right, its what I would do :smile:

Latest