The Student Room Group

What to do Now?

Hey
Right basically I started trying to get work experience today at a dairy farm near me. I called up a week or so ago to sort out the placement and we agreed i would work for 2 1/2 days this week as a trial for summer. I told him I would get there between 8 and 1/2 past as I was getting a bus so couldnt guarantee a time!
I got there this morning at 8:10 and he was uh your late! And I was like sorry I didnt think I was!
Then he was like go help feed the calves, which i did. Then once I had done that he showed me how to use the disenfectant thing after milking and i wiped all the cows udders. Then he was like we have tea now so i had a cup of tea. Then the vets came to do the shoes and sort out the cows hooves and he told me to watch but not get in the way. I did that and then it was about 12:30 and he was like you can have your lunch now and I said oh my mums picking me up after work she'll be here soon theres no point- admitedly this was to the farm hand not the farmer.
Then I was standing in the yard waiting for my mum and he was like- oh your going now are you? And I was like yeh- he was like thanks for telling me- and I was like well you were out on the field I wer gonna tell you when my mum actually got here- and he was like dont bother coming back tomorrow your not interested in being a vet I dont think you have what it takes!
My mum thinks I should go back anyway but I reckon I should leave it and find another farm to do work experience on- whatt u guys reckon!
If it were me I wouldnt go back and waste my time to be honest, they guy sounds like an idiot.

I can understand the the point in going back- to prove that you are committed, but thats probably just stubborness really and you've got nothing to prove to this guy. In my opinion you would be far better finding somewhere else.
Reply 2
timetokill
If it were me I wouldnt go back and waste my time to be honest, they guy sounds like an idiot.

I can understand the the point in going back- to prove that you are committed, but thats probably just stubborness really and you've got nothing to prove to this guy. In my opinion you would be far better finding somewhere else.

Thanks thats what I thought :biggrin:
Reply 3
did you agree what time you would be leaving beforehand?
Reply 4
Annaconda
did you agree what time you would be leaving beforehand?

yeh i thought so cuz i said my mums gonna pick me up when she finishes work which will be about 12:45 ish
Reply 5
so it was agreed that you would work the morning as a trial for the summer, you did that and he got arsy? if thats the case then I dont think you will get a positive experience from the placement and I would look for somewhere else.
Reply 6
the guy sounds pretty unreasonable to me
I would go somewhere else, you want somewhere is going to get you involved and actually want you there. It sounds like he was looking for excuses to get rid of you. Of course, if there is no where else then nearby then stick with it, but I would get ringing around tonight.
Don't go back. If you agreed it was just a few hours as a trial then he has no right to hold you to any serious hours. Of course if this were summer and you were doing the real deal then I'd say 8.30 til 12ish is rather tame and you should consider longer days, early starts etcetera like the rest of them do on the dairy, but that wasn't the case. It was just a few hours to trial and he has no right to get mad for you leaving.

I myself have endured bad placements before and stuck out 2 solid weeks at a pig farm with the most nasty, violent, awful borderline schizo I've ever met. There were times when I thought he'd actually hit me, was very scared of him, he could get so nasty over nothing. I only endured it because the work was so hands on and so valuable to my application, but I wouldn't ever advise anyone to endure a bad placement, no matter how good, through my own experience.

Your plan of action;
1) Find another dairy cos he's just a moody git
2) Do another trial if you can just for a morning, but perhaps offer to hit the early start like the others do there, if you can. Make an agreement on hours for summer, and then go for it in the summer full on.
3) Get a good reference, learn some stuff, put the bad experience behind you at the last place
i defo wouldn't go back - if he is this horrid now imagine the reference you would get - find somewhere else i was really lucky working with an amazin farmer who had loads of time and patience and gave me plenty of confidence and responsibility - i recon he is the reason i got into vet school. This guy will not help you - find someone who will. :smile:
I always make sure I'm really clear about what hours I will be doing if I'm not doing a "full" day before I start, that way there's no crossed wires because some people can get really narky about it.

I agree that you shouldn't go back to that farm but with your next placement ask what the hours are before hand and if for some reason you can't do the full day, explain before you start exactly why you can't. Most people are reasonable and understanding individuals and will have no problem if you're held to ransom with transport. Just make sure that you show them that you're enthusiastic about being there and not unintentionally give the impression that you're trying slack off.
Reply 11
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience; he seems like an unreasonable man. you should definately try to find another placement. Most people seem to have a very good time on their dairy placements; mine was my favourite one! Dont be set back by this, just see it as another awkward person you had to work with in preparation for dealing with them daily haha ! hope you find another placement soon :smile:
Reply 12
To me it sounds like this guy was under the impression that you were doing a full day. You said you were meant to do 2 and a half days there as a trial, was the first day meant to be a half day? Like Phoebe_Vet said, try to be absolutely clear with the times you're going to be doing and check if they're alright with it. I'm always limited by public transport as I don't have a car and my parents live in another country but everyone has been very understanding and I've managed to do hours that enabled me to catch my bus/train. :smile:
I don't know what you hope to achieve by going to a dairy farm and then arriving so late that you miss most if not all of the early milking shift and bugger off so early that you miss all of the late shift. That is what you're there to do, to be 'trialled' on, not feeding calves and watching cows have their feet trimmed. Milking is all about the early starts, the physicality of the work, the muck, being tired all the time, working with animals, etc.

You have to prove yourself to them, prove that you can be trusted, prove that you can do the work, prove that you can work with animals, etc. If you can't convince a farmer how are you going to convince an admissions tutor? From my experience if you put the hard work in, show an interest, be eager for more work to do, etc you quickly gain their respect. Bear in mind that you will receive short shrift on any of your other placements if you're forever disappearing before any hard work can be done.

Yes it was a 'trial' but for mine I phoned up and asked what time they wanted me around and when I could be of most use. I didn't dictate what hours I would be working, I was after all there for work experience, to get an accurate representation of the job. It so turned out that I was there at 6 and ended up working a full day. If you absolutely can't get to any early shift make sure you get along to the evening shift.

It's up to you. Personally I'd go along the next day, apologise even if I wasn't totally at fault, ask when they wanted me there, make an effort to be there on time and slog my guts out to prove myself to them. Veterinary work experience is on the whole hard to get hold of and having farmers bad mouthing you behind your back isn't going to help matters. I have made a large amount of contacts, even had job offers, while on placement. Help them and on the whole they'll help you, whether it's putting a good word in for you, writing a good reference, etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending