The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Phonicsdude
You believe incorrectly. The UCL prospectus would not lie to me. What is royal charter anyway?

Besides, UCL was the first uni to "systematically teach law". Blah to you!

First not to discriminate, too :wink:
Lotello...they are in the entertainment secton..

Indeed they were the first to have a completely open admissions policy, which did not discriminate against anyone on the grounds of race, sex or disability. If you're clever/lucky enough, you'll receive an offer! Although that applies to all top unis.
Obviously there aren't enough Maiden fans on TSR to start an iron maiden society :frown: Shame... there's probably plenty who'd like a metalica one though :rolleyes:
Onearmedbandit
Obviously there aren't enough Maiden fans on TSR to start an iron maiden society :frown: Shame... there's probably plenty who'd like a metalica one though :rolleyes:

Hehe - going to see them at Reading :smile:
Im going to Reading too! Rock on! woo!
Was gonna go to Reading but decided it wasn't worth the money just to see one band :frown:

And NOW I find out they aren't playing any other UK dates. Great! :rolleyes:
Phonicsdude
You believe incorrectly. The UCL prospectus would not lie to me. What is royal charter anyway?

I never said the prospectus lies, it jsut gives one interpretation of the truth. A Royal Charter is what gave 'institutions' the power to confer degrees, effectively what made them a university. UCL was awarded this power in 1836, Durham was awarded it's Royal Charter 4 years earlier and I believe King's College was granted theirs at a similar time, though I'm not sure of the exact date.

Basically it's all open to interpretation, I'm not disputing UCL's heritage or denying that it has a legitimate claim to say that it is the 3rd oldest university in England, just suggesting that that statement isn't as factual as it may seem.
ForeverDecember
I never said the prospectus lies, it jsut gives one interpretation of the truth. A Royal Charter is what gave 'institutions' the power to confer degrees, effectively what made them a university. UCL was awarded this power in 1836, Durham was awarded it's Royal Charter 4 years earlier and I believe King's College was granted theirs at a similar time, though I'm not sure of the exact date.

Basically it's all open to interpretation, I'm not disputing UCL's heritage or denying that it has a legitimate claim to say that it is the 3rd oldest university in England, just suggesting that that statement isn't as factual as it may seem.

It's still factual... just maybe not so black & white :smile:

However, I'm going there. Therefore I believe it really is the 3rd oldest in the country :p: :biggrin: I feel full of pride today. One of my biggest rivalry commitments enjoyed a huge success today as we caned southampton!
Redknapp didn't get lynched today then when he wandered back to Portsmouth? Are Portsmouth completely clear of relegation now? It must delight you to see Southampton at the bottom of the table...

Ahem, something relevant...erm, yeah UCL is really old...
Reply 89
Onearmedbandit
Generally, UCL wipe the floor with KCL, LSE and the like as far as sports goes. The only real competitor is QM :wink:

Ermmm...KCL beat UCL in both rugby and football this year :smile:
Reply 90
Lottelo
Nah, got to have a football play off for that! :wink:

Anyone know how did the varsity teams do this year/last year? :smile:

I think I answered that about :rolleyes:
kingslaw
Ermmm...KCL beat UCL in both rugby and football this year :smile:

Portsmouth beat Machester United this season. Doesn't make them better :smile:
Reply 92
Rivalries are just so dam childish...

i hope Brighton Polytechnic would just CRAP all over KCL UCL and LSE
What's wrong with a rivalry?
Reply 94
I'm loving all this randomness...
Reply 95
Onearmedbandit
What's wrong with a rivalry?

Exactly, rivarly and competition is inherent to lawyers.
Reply 96
Mike, you have no guestbook on your website
How comes you have a red gem xanthe? been being naughty?
Reply 98
Onearmedbandit
Portsmouth beat Machester United this season. Doesn't make them better :smile:

Got any better ways to measure who performed better out of UCL and KCL this year then?!? :confused:
Reply 99
Paul, I have a red gem because this idiot called TheWolf said I should stop complaining because we organised a TSR LSE Meet Up where we were stood up. Since he didn't bother attending the Meet Up, I feel he had no reason to be concerned with it and why he felt the need to give me neg rep is beyond me, really :'-(. I was hardly complaining...I had every right to be upset/angry/mad.

I will be seeing this idiot in the Autumn and he's probably gonna be in the same hall as me (if we both get our choice of accomodation, that is) so should be interesting...

Latest

Trending

Trending