The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Obviously that it's disgusting!
It's always hard to evaluate the practices of other cultures when looked at from our own.
It seems, to me, to be like one of those ancient cultural practices that are dying out in a modernised world.
Reply 3
As the first female to post on this thread, let me say on every girl's behalf:

OUCH.
Reply 4
Sicking tbh but understandable if its their religion and they've always done it
Reply 5
Terrible and obviously intended to render the woman incapable of pleasure. It's abhorrent.
BUT how different is it, really, from Western women who undergo vaginaplasty for tightness and the pleasure of their husbands?
Is there any chance someone can give me a rough guide to what these videos are about? My mum's in the room >.<
Reply 7
About how girls are tied down and their clitorises and labia are cut off, probably. That's what usually happens.
My mum's in the room too!
Reply 8
Brouhaha
Terrible and obviously intended to render the woman incapable of pleasure. It's abhorrent.
BUT how different is it, really, from Western women who undergo vaginaplasty for tightness and the pleasure of their husbands?

It's different because nobody ties them down and does it against their will, nor will it render them incapable of sexual pleasure.
Reply 9
Brouhaha

The choice is there for Western women, no one is, hopefully, forced into it. FGM is absolutely sickening, especially it's most extreme form where women are cut open on their wedding night with a knife. Absolutely brutal.
Reply 10
Original post by l&#618
It's always hard to evaluate the practices of other cultures when looked at from our own.
It seems, to me, to be like one of those ancient cultural practices that are dying out in a modernised world.

Thats because we don't have such backward, barbaric practices in our culture -which is a GOOD thing.

Cultural practices like that need to die. Fast.
mlo90

CULTURE IS NOT RELIGION.
junglemonkey
:eek:

WHAT

The labia is stitched together when they're very young. Come the wedding night, it's ripped open. Means they couldn't even possibly have sex beforehand, but can still urinate.
Reply 13
Diaz89
so what you stupid jew many african countries do it too, I heard jews sow a girl's p**** shut until she gets married

It's called infibulation and it's still common in some places in Africa, like Somalia.

Jews don't do these things, it's a lie.
Reply 14
the title of the thread makes me feel sick.
Reply 15
junglemonkey

WHAT

Check out "infibulation" on wiki.
Reply 16
junglemonkey

WHAT

They cut off the labia, clit, basically everything from the area, then sew it up leaving a pencil sized hole for blood/pee then when the lucky girl gets married the knife comes out to make the hole bigger.

I've heard even of FGM happening in Britain. It's an absolutely barbaric practise.

Oh and in before people start comparing it to the lessened sensation of male circumcision (not saying I agree with male circumcision but it's a pretty different kettle of fish).
The second video disgusted me. It's unnatural, how does having a girl go through the suffering of being mutilated make her "grow up tall and beautiful"???
mlo90

what kind of an argument is that?
if an ancient religion practised raping and beating of babies, would you still think it was 'understandable'??

I find it disturbing how those people in the videos blindly accept that women 'must' be mutilated like that- they don't seem to even have the concept of using their own brains to think about something. not to mention that there is clearly medical evidence to suggest it does cause suffering and very serious health problems
Thinking about it makes me feel really, really lucky. Makes me realise how much I appreciate my genitals.

It is a horrific, barbaric and brutal custom. In some cases girls have their labia/vagina sewn up. Hence having to cut it open again upon marriage.

Preserves virtue, prevents 'hysteria' (I'll say). Yeah people should be allowed to preserve their traditions but this is just... horrendous.

Latest

Trending

Trending