The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Medical and Biomedical Sciences ( National and International )

Hello everybody,
I am a Spanish guy who is going to start a degree in the healh/Medical/ Biomedical field.
I’ve applied to 5 Universities for the following courses:
BSc Biomedical Sciences ( King’s College London) Still waiting for an offer.
BSc Immunology ( University of Edinburgh) They have made me an Offer
BSc Biomedical Sciences ( University of Glasgow) They have made me an Offer
BMedSc Medical Sciences ( University of Birmingham) They have made me an Offer
BSc Biomedical Sciences ( Oxford Brookes University) They have made me an Offer
I have important doubts about what Uni would be the best for my firm and what for my insurance option…
Could any of you tell me what is the University with the best employability ranking in the world? Because maby it is what I will do after completing the degree…
Does any of you know the difference between a Bachelor of Sciences and a Bachelor of Medical Science? Because the University of Birmingham is the only one who has this program… ( At least in my selection)
What would you recommend me to do after the degree ( I’d like to do some research, and I consider Immunology, Cancer Studies and Advanced Biomedical research for that) and what is the Uni/s that would open to me more doors for that decision?

I really like the BMedSc program at Birmingham, because I think is the more close to the Faculty of medicine and even more close with that kind of issues, since the beginning of the course, but I am not really sure if it is the best for what I want to do next…
I just need your help and your advice… before geeting more crazy that I am…
Thank you so much! Lots of hugs from Madrid!!!!
PS. It would be very nice if you could share with me your offers or your experience in this selection process…
:smile:
No real difference between a BMedSci and a BSc. I'm doing a BMedSci in Evolutionary Biology (long story) and my admissions tutors for postgrad studies didn't even mention it. My graduation hood is also more extravagant than the BSc students! Employability wise Kings and Edinburgh would be top (Glasgow not far behind) although now I've written that someone will undoubtably correct me. Oxford Brookes is a former polytechnic (sort of seen as "second class" unis, although that is an out of date attitude) and although it is the best of the former poly's (see The Times rankings) the employability would probably be a bit less than Kings or Edinburgh. If you're looking for a research career the uni choice doesn't matter that much anymore, although uni choice can make you stand out it's grades and experience, for example spending your summers doing research projects, that are more important.

However, it sounds like you really like the sounds of the Birmingham course, and that is by far the most important factor in choosing a uni. The only other factor I can think of is that as an EU student you won't have to pay tuition fees (£3500 a year) if you go to Edinburgh or Glasgow as they're in Scotland.

Hope that helps.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Thank you for your reply! Are you doing a BMedSc now at the Uni of Edinburgh?
I'd really like to know how did you do that... I mean, do you need to start the whole medicine course for that or it's just like a BSc program?
For me, it's also very interesting Evolutionay biology....
The Unis that I like the most are Edinburgh and Birmingham... So if you could explain me a bit more your experience, would be very nice...
It is really late in Madrid, but cannot sleep...too worried about all this process in the distance... :-)
I've replied to your PM.

Latest

Trending

Trending