The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No I don't think so. They're quite high in fat tbh. Not even potatoes count toward your 5 a day.
Reply 2
hah. Ask yourself are they fruits, that'll answer your question?
Oh, shame. :frown: Ah well, off for an apple then. Incidentally, when I saw this in my watched threads list I read it as "nuns". They probably aren't one of my five a day either.
Reply 4
Not Invented Yet
I'm trying to eat more fruit and veg and stick to the 5 a day thing - does a handful of almonds count? They grow on trees... they must be some kind of vegetable! :p:

No, they're nut. That is a recognised food group. Vegetables grow on trees? News to me.
No, they do not count towards your 5-a-day. Nuts are nuts, not vegetables.
Reply 6
The purpose of the 'five-a-day' plan is to get sufficient micronutrients into your diet e.g. vitamins and minerals.

Seeing as most nuts are nutrient rich, to that end, they could be counted as one of your 5 a day.

Almonds, for example, are a good source of several B vitamins as well as phosphorus and magnesium.

However, one of the other purposes of the 'five-a-day' plan is to get fibre into your diet. To that end - it would be best to include some more fibrous fruit and veg into your five a day.
QI Elf
No, they're nut. That is a recognised food group. Vegetables grow on trees? News to me.

Was that a pun or am I just too easily amused? :smile: I'm sure some vegetables grow on trees, like - um - well, fruit does! Ohh dear, I'm not very bright today. :o:
No more than cows and bread do, no. It's five fruit and vegetables a day, not five of anything.
Reply 9
as long as you're eating them and not sucking them then they're good for you
actually maybe i should be telling you that sucking nuts is healthy too :awesome:
Reply 10
la fille danse
No more than cows and bread do, no. It's five fruit and vegetables a day, not five of anything.

:eek:
Reply 11
Er, no. Seeing as they're nuts.
omlette
No I don't think so. They're quite high in fat tbh. Not even potatoes count toward your 5 a day.

Good fat.

OP: No, but you should be eating them.
Umm nuts are actually fruits..
Original post by Kvothe34567
Umm nuts are actually fruits..

Thanks for that ever so valuable and timely contribution. I'm sure the people in this thread have been itching to know this for the last 8 years.
Nuts are good for you in moderation. Feel free to eat them along with other healthy things. I just had a handful of walnuts myself.
Lol just eat what you want whenever you want..
Original post by Manitude
Thanks for that ever so valuable and timely contribution. I'm sure the people in this thread have been itching to know this for the last 8 years.

Hahahahaha that actually cracked me up

For real though, I didn't post it for the people in the thread, I did it for the sake of anyone new viewing this thread. These people were basically just chatting :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: so for people viewing this thread recently NUTS ARE FRUITS. SPREAD THE WORD.
the 5 a day is nothing more than a marketting strategy and has no scientific research to support the claims
Studies show that 7 a day actually has more long-term benefits. :tongue:

No, nuts don't count.

Peanuts are technically a legume, which sounds promising at first (they even grow underground), but they don't count either.

Nonetheless, nuts are pretty heavy on the vitamins/minerals thing- or maybe I'm just telling myself that so I can enjoy my coffee-and-walnut cake.

Latest