The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
786_786
thanks soo much for taking your time out to do this, really helpful! im thinking soils, tectonics and volcanoes or earthquakes are big maybes. im not bothering to revise anything that came up in jan as chances are they wont come up again as they haven't repeated any twice in one year so far, good luck :smile:

ah thanks.

yup I think that aswell. I dont think there will be more than one question on human geography because there has already been quite a lot of human geog in the exams like the GGB5 pre-released material this summer seems very 'humany' and there was Core periph and EU in Jan09 for GGB4. And TNC's came up in June08.

So the questions will be...
migration/multicultural
earthquakes/volcanoes
tectonics
soils
conflicts over resource.
Reply 21
Oh and 786_786 it seems like you are getting muddle dup with the african seasons...

The african seasons is all about the seasonal variations, how veg adapts to the weather and also how humans can affect vegetation.
And in the very recent paper it asked for the veg adaptions so the examiners might 'try to be sneaky' and ask us the rest of soils and remaining africa stuff. Soil characteristics hasnt come up in a while.
so something like this could happen

1. a) What are the variations in precipitation, temp and wind in Afirca (5)
b) What is a Soil moisture budget, use a diagram (5)
c) Hydrological responses to a) and b) (5)
d)What are the characterisitcs of soils (8)

Just dont revise
Core periph, EU+separatism, Multiple hazard locations.
Reply 22
786_786
hmmm..plate tectonics seems to have come up every year, either in jan or june, so as it didn't come up in jan im thinking it might come up in june?

Yes i agree qith you there also. But i thought you were on about Transnational corporations etc as i doubt they will come up as they are the synoptic part and came up last summer!!
Topics i think are tectonics, conflict over local resource, soil characteristics, volcanoes and earthquakes as a hazard and migration, with the possibility of Africa atmosphric circulation and soil mosture budget. Theres quite a few topics there so hopefully some will come up!
Reply 23
TNCs shouldn't come up as it's on the pre-release
Reply 24
Hmm the very small section on atmospheric circulation (not Africa )just the Hadley cells etc which leads onto Africa hasnt come up in yonks so they may integrate that in there somewhere?
Reply 25
mad-cow18
Yes i agree qith you there also. But i thought you were on about Transnational corporations etc as i doubt they will come up as they are the synoptic part and came up last summer!!
Topics i think are tectonics, conflict over local resource, soil characteristics, volcanoes and earthquakes as a hazard and migration, with the possibility of Africa atmosphric circulation and soil mosture budget. Theres quite a few topics there so hopefully some will come up!

But that's almost all physical, noooooo :frown:

Me and physical geog just don't get along...
Reply 26
mad-cow18

Hey OP, I think you should make a chart on likely topics and unlikely topics
Put them in a 'stand-out' font like so.

Likely Topics, as been discussed in this thread,
Very likely
~ Migration and multicultural societies
~ Volcanoes as a hazard
~ Conflicts over Resource

Likely
~ Plate tectonics
~ Soil properties and ionic exchange
~ African seasons (not including veg adaptations subtopic)
~Earthquakes as a hazard

Possible
~ Climate change
~ Burglarly, Tropical Cyclones, Transmittable Diseases
~ Soil profile/processes and human activity regarding soils
~ TNC's

Very unlikely....
Core periphary
EU + Separtatism
Long term vegatation change
Multiple hazards

Feel free to alter obv :smile:
Reply 27
jabed786
Hey OP, I think you should make a chart on likely topics and unlikely topics
Put them in a 'stand-out' font like so.

Likely Topics, as been discussed in this thread,
Very likely
~ Migration and multicultural societies
~ Volcanoes as a hazard
~ Conflicts over Resource

Likely
~ Plate tectonics
~ Soil characteristics
~ African seasons (not including veg adaptations subtopic)
~Earthquakes as a hazard

Possible
~ Climate change
~ Burglarly, Tropical Cyclones, Transmittable Diseases

Unlikely
~ Soil profile/processes and human activity regarding soils
~ TNC's

Very unlikely....
Core periphary
EU + Separtatism
Long term vegatation change
Multiple hazards

Feel free to alter obv :smile:

just wondering, why do you predict soil profiles not to come up? thanks :smile:
Reply 28
786_786
just wondering, why do you predict soil profiles not to come up? thanks :smile:

I think I should have gotten rid of the 'Unlikley' category and put soil profiles in 'Possible'.
It could come up... since soils has come up twice in a row, just two different bits came up.... this has led me to think....

I should rephrase what I said about 'soil characterisitics', by that I actually meant the likely soil subtopics, if it does come up will be:
minerual constituents, types of humus and ionic exchange. Thats why soil profiles is less likely to come up, this was on june 2008 and june2006. whilst the mineral stuff was in jan07, and I think that was the only time it came up since then?
its not this exam that im dreading!
I'm dreading paper 5, i didnt do to well on it in Jan :frown:
Reply 30
I'm dreading all of them. I only need 2 low Cs to get an A overall and I'm STILL dreading them. Argh. There's just so much to know!!!
Reply 31
for plate tectonics do we need to revise the stuff like 'lithosphere and asthenosphere' too or is that just background info? thank you!
Reply 32
star_girl_dannie
its not this exam that im dreading!
I'm dreading paper 5, i didnt do to well on it in Jan :frown:

Same here, I am resitting ggb5 and ggb1. And then doing the ggb4 paper aswell.
Reply 33
we had a mock exam today an the questions were so not like the exam. They were past questions but we soils and vegetaion, plate tectonics in section A and then core periphery and vegetation and soil human impacts for section B. I did both vegetation questions so fingers crossed it tells me that i do know my stuff now :-)(hopefully)
Reply 34
loopy6111
Hiya, am doing this exam, have just spent a double geography lesson going over what we and our teacher predicts will be on. Apparently she has it from the main examiner that anything that was on the Jan09 paper won't be on the june one. She showed us all a copy of the Jan09 paper. has anyone else heard that what was on the jan09 paper will not be on in June?
My teacher thinks soils with the Africa wet dry climate and volcanoes will probably on and for human, migration and multicultural societies and TNCs.

I doubt TNC's will come up because it is in the synoptic paper for june09.

My predictions are:
Africa seasons
Volcanoes
Earthquakes
Immigration
Possibley a little question on cation exchange for soils and soil minerals

The paper wil lbe more physical because the snyoptic was humanish and the jan09 was also (two human topics whilst only one physical and one hazard).
After seeing the synoptic now I'm pretty sure that there won't be a question on conflict over a resource and not a major 25 marker on core periphery either hope this helps you lot out too
Reply 36
I will post a list soon of all the topics that have been coming up
Reply 37
Check this out guys!! it can help u predict what will come up in june 2009 for the "global change" paper
ok guys, check the attachment, it will actually help you unlike so much of the stuff that has been posted, were you keep saying "i think this hasnt appeared for a while" etc etc. theres no point in you even posting if you say that, because no one is going to listen to it in case you are wrong......

so anyway rant over, check the attachment, it is helpful...based on the fact that the jan2009 and june2009 synoptic is mainly human based, i do agree that this GGB4 paper will be mainly physical based. the topics i think are likely to come up are:

soils
hazards (volcano/earthquake/cyclone)
tectonics (volcano earthquake)

i think volcano/earthquake stuff is pretty likely and they will combine tectonics with the actual hazards me thinks.....
Reply 39
joe1joe1joe2
ok guys, check the attachment, it will actually help you unlike so much of the stuff that has been posted, were you keep saying "i think this hasnt appeared for a while" etc etc. theres no point in you even posting if you say that, because no one is going to listen to it in case you are wrong......

so anyway rant over, check the attachment, it is helpful...based on the fact that the jan2009 and june2009 synoptic is mainly human based, i do agree that this GGB4 paper will be mainly physical based. the topics i think are likely to come up are:

soils
hazards (volcano/earthquake/cyclone)
tectonics (volcano earthquake)

i think volcano/earthquake stuff is pretty likely and they will combine tectonics with the actual hazards me thinks.....

Unfortunately your table makes little snese ansd oyur predictions are the same as ours anyway with saying that is hasnt appearedin a while. Anyway at least we all have v simiar predictions and that it will be a physical based paper. Look at the quesrtions firther back on http://www.allsaints.york.sch.uk/depts/geography/GCEpapers.htm

xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending