The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
jabed786
My textbook is amazing. I bought it myself after some researching it's by David Redfern and Malcolm Skinner.
Im taking a huge gamble and just revising
Soils, Volcanoes, Migration, Conflicts and Plate Tectonics.
And I'll briefly go over TNC's and Atmosphere/ITCZ

Yeh i have that textbook too but to be honest i dont think its ery good and from examiners reports more case studies etc are needed. ie for issues to multiculturism case studies must be used and they suggested issues faced by asylum seekers to get to Level 3 so ive done a lot of researching around the topics too and learning the markschemes to get word for wor answers.
Reply 81
mad-cow18
Yeh i have that textbook too but to be honest i dont think its ery good and from examiners reports more case studies etc are needed. ie for issues to multiculturism case studies must be used and they suggested issues faced by asylum seekers to get to Level 3 so ive done a lot of researching around the topics too and learning the markschemes to get word for wor answers.

gosh you have done **** loads of revision :O
I do agree that the book doesnt have enough case studies in the right places. I have done some background researching such as Oldham riots etc. Done nothing on asylum seekers (there is already a case study on that, in the book).
Reply 82
LH123
Is conflicts likely? I ******* hate it.

Really how come? I hated it before but now that the teacher is gonna give us a model answer so I know I can get high marks I'm pretty confident. Plus there isnt much to learn from it, its basically a story with a few facts and views and thats it.
I think it will be very likely, just as likely as Multicultural/Immigration.
Reply 83
I'm starting on migration/multiculturalism today. I am totally missing out two topics - conflict and soils. Soils because it's such a big and ridiculous topic which I could not care less about...and conflict because I missed all the lessons due to illness and I don't think I can afford to teach myself an entire topic right now. So...if conflict and soils comes up in 1 question - goodbye uni...lol.
Reply 84
hallilad
Hey guys, thought I might add this to the thread;

our teacher has been VERY good at predicting what topics should come up each year.

The orange cells mark which topics should be concentrated on.

I'll be honest, i've left it far too late with like 3 days to go, so i'm only going to revise those topics!! :O

I've thrown in a GGB6 past questions thing too which you might find helpful.

John x
GGB4 Past Questions.xls

GGb6 PQ.docx

Hey it wont let me onto it, which ones are highlighted or that your teacher thinks is going to come up? cheers :smile:
Reply 85
jabed786
Really how come? I hated it before but now that the teacher is gonna give us a model answer so I know I can get high marks I'm pretty confident. Plus there isnt much to learn from it, its basically a story with a few facts and views and thats it.
I think it will be very likely, just as likely as Multicultural/Immigration.

Just didn't really enjoy it that much whilst learning it, and our teacher's teaching style didn't exactly help. :dontknow:
Reply 86
09nicholac
Hey it wont let me onto it, which ones are highlighted or that your teacher thinks is going to come up? cheers :smile:

Wow thanks for that. If any kind of hazard comes up, either physical or urban, I'll be so happy. I find them easy because they seem to be pretty structured (origin, freq., effects etc).

So I'm revising migration/multicultural societies right now and I'm not sure what else I can go over...so far I've got:

Types/Forms of migration
Changes in migration patterns
Reasons for migration (economic/refugee etc)
Attitudes towards migration
Definition of m.c society
Evidence for a m.c society
Issues that have arisen from ^^^

Can anyone think of other topics within migration to revise?
Reply 87
bubble123
Wow thanks for that. If any kind of hazard comes up, either physical or urban, I'll be so happy. I find them easy because they seem to be pretty structured (origin, freq., effects etc).

So I'm revising migration/multicultural societies right now and I'm not sure what else I can go over...so far I've got:

Types/Forms of migration
Changes in migration patterns
Reasons for migration (economic/refugee etc)
Attitudes towards migration
Definition of m.c society
Evidence for a m.c society
Issues that have arisen from ^^^

Can anyone think of other topics within migration to revise?

I cant think of many others, just remember case studies: what you gotfor evidence of mc socity?
Reply 88
I have apartheid for MC society.
Reply 89
LH123
I have apartheid for MC society.

That can also work for transmittable diseases, because the distraction of the breakup of apartheid in SA resulted in fewer resources combating AIDS.
Reply 90
josht111
That can also work for transmittable diseases, because the distraction of the breakup of apartheid in SA resulted in fewer resources combating AIDS.

It could, except I have not learnt it that way.

I would have loved to have some cross over between case studies but alas, my A level teaching does not seem to allow it. :sad:
Reply 91
LH123
It could, except I have not learnt it that way.

I would have loved to have some cross over between case studies but alas, my A level teaching does not seem to allow it. :sad:

Tis a great shame indeed. :console:
Reply 92
josht111
Tis a great shame indeed. :console:

You can teach me how, if we both don't fail our exams and end up at insurance universities. :K:
Reply 93
LH123
You can teach me how, if we both don't fail our exams and end up at insurance universities. :K:

Oh lord. If I don't get into Notts, I really don't know what I'll do. Are you planning to accept your insurance if , god forbid, it happens? I think I'll probably take a year out, because they'd be no accommodation at my ins., I wouldn't know anything about the course or people or uni, and my student finance stuff would be all messed up. :s-smilie:
Reasources came up on GGB5 in Jan so if we say same topics can't come up in a year then chances are it won't be on.
Reply 95
josht111
Oh lord. If I don't get into Notts, I really don't know what I'll do. Are you planning to accept your insurance if , god forbid, it happens? I think I'll probably take a year out, because they'd be no accommodation at my ins., I wouldn't know anything about the course or people or uni, and my student finance stuff would be all messed up. :s-smilie:

Yeah. I am not sure I would be happy to go to my insurance.

Don't get me wrong, I actually quite liked the place when I visited. However, that was the first university visit I ever did and Nottingham blew it completely out of the water. :sadnod:

You are going into the infamous Broadgate Park too, right? [grades pending - I feel I have to add this after all such questions in case it has some voodoo effect and causes me to fail to think I am already in. :o:]
Reply 96
Steverocker
Reasources came up on GGB5 in Jan so if we say same topics can't come up in a year then chances are it won't be on.

It doesn't work that way cross modules, sadly.
Reply 97
josht111
I've just realised you could use Typhoon Loke as your hurricane case study! If your flag speaks the truth that is...

Ahahaha. I don't actually live on Wake Island, have never visited there and the only thing I know about it is that it's a coral atoll. :o:
Reply 98
mad-cow18
I cant think of many others, just remember case studies: what you gotfor evidence of mc socity?

Hmm well all I could think of were 1) net migration levels into countries, e.g. UK highest in Europe/Canada one of the highest in the world and give %s of where the migrants are coming from 2) % minorities in areas like Southall Broadway, London, and the Lozells area of Birmingham...and 3) this isn't a 'good' piece of evidence but if I was struggling I'd say something about the number of foreign restaurants there are around, especially in areas like Stratford in London

God knows if any of that ^^^ is even right.
Reply 99
Can any one help me out with this question about vocanoes/earthquakes?

The first two questions ask
QA) Describe the global distribution
QB) Outline the origin
(taken from Jan 07) & on the mark scheme the answers are basically the same:

QA) Earthquake/Volcanoes:
Convergent p. boundaries - Japan, South America.
Divergent p. boundaries - Mid Atlantic Ridge, E. African
Ridge.
Hot spots - Hawaii.
Others - S. Europe + conservative boundaries for
earthquakes.

QB) eg.Volcanoes
Most volcanic activity is associated with plate tectonic processes and is mainly located along plate margins. Such activity is therefore found:

• along ocean ridges where plates are moving apart. The best example is the mid-Atlantic Ridge where Iceland represents a large area formed from volcanic activity
• associated with rift valleys. The East African Rift Valley has a number of volcanoes along it, including Mount Kenya and Mount Kilimanjaro
• on or near subduction zones. The line of volcanoes, the 'Ring of Fire' that surrounds the Pacific Ocean is
associated with plate subduction. This tends to be the
most violent of all activity
• over hot spots such as that which occurs in the middle of the Pacific Ocean and gives rise to the Hawaiian Islands.

any help would really help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending