The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
yep
Reply 41
L i b
Well, like I say, you either are or are not. There's a difference between not being concerned with the complexities of theology and not accepting the central tenants of the Christian faith. The former are Christians, the latter are not.

I guess it depends on what you mean by the 'central tenants of the Christian faith'.

Secondly, do you think it's worthwhile to distinguish between someone who regards himself as Christian but who is indifferent about the theology and someone who labels himself as a Christian but disagrees with the central tenants of the faith? While I can understand why you would want to distance the latter, I sure wouldn't have a favourable opinion of the former if I were a Christian. It's an almost equal mockery of the religion, in my opinion.

L i b
Loyalty to what? Custom? Quite a strange thing to call yourself out of custom, is it not?

I agree, it's weird. These cultural Christians should ideally tick the 'none' box.
Charzhino
Heaven is experianced on earth,

Oo heaven is a place on earth
Reply 43
L i b
I've always found eternal life one of the most difficult parts of religion. Apparently a lot of people cannot accept their mortality, I'm quite the opposite - I've always felt that there will be an ending, I've never imagined I'm somehow above that.

I suppose insofar as I do believe in an afterlife, it is not going to be some place where you somehow go. If anything, it is a state of existence beyond our experience. Indeed, the idea some nature-y types have come up with that our body will decay, re-enter the eco-system, be eaten by worms, cause flowers to grow and enter some great rotational immorality isn't all that far off my idea of Heaven anyway, God or none.

Where all the Kylie-loving bad people go.
Sheo
Yes. I mean what have you got to lose in believing in heaven.

I haven't got any thing to lose from believing there's a giant friendly squirrel living on the other side of the moon that communicates with me through my dreams. Doesn't mean I can kid myself that's the case though does it?
No, I believe that after death is the exact same thing as before you were born. nothing. also even if Heaven did exist ... living forever must get awfully boring no?
Reply 46
Ice_Queen
Just to be pedantic, does a four cell foetus have a brain? Therefore do they not exist?

"I think therefore I am."

:smile:
Then again I also believe in Valhalla.
I certainly want an ancient Norse or Viking funeral.
Put on a burning ship and set adrift to sea.

Very cool.
Reply 48
Yes, yes I do. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't if all you have to look forward to is rotting in the ground! :-/
yeah defnitley. there must be something out there, i mean c'mon there is too much beauty around!
Reply 50
No, its completely irrational.
Reply 51
No, but I do believe in spelling.
No, but it would be nice if I could.
God doesn't exist
bananaman123
God doesn't exist

Halt the thread. This man has discovered something!! And it isn't a miracle!! Have you got a link/proof? A BBC link if possible. :p: :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending