The Student Room Group

To take or not to take

Poll

Would you do the internship?

Guys I've been offered an internship at a mid tier accounting firm in Indonesia over the summer for 8 weeks. Do you think it would be a good experience, and would you take it? It is unpaid and I will be living in a hostel, albeit it is air conditioned and has modern amenities like wi-fi etc. Poll for added conveniance. Oh and I dont know the local language so that would be a problem, though the company apparently operates in english (but who knows?).

Alternative: trying to look for a temp job/ work experience in London but it will be extremely hard in this climate.
8 weeks no pay :nn:
Reply 2
I'd go for it... At worst, you'll have an interesting 8 weeks to talk about...
Reply 3
J0hn0
I'd go for it... At worst, you'll have an interesting 8 weeks to talk about...

Who's to say it will be interesting?
Reply 4
Go for it unless you've got something better.
Reply 5
go for it, its a good opportunity.
anyoneelse got an opinion?
Yeah. Go for it...

If you don't like it in the first few weeks, then you could always come back/take a holiday, couldn't you?
Reply 8
BJack
Who's to say it will be interesting?

I didn't mean the work in particular, I was referring to the general concept of being away from the UK, experiencing a somewhat different culture...
Reply 9
Go for it :smile:

Don't worry if it's not paid, at least it's experience. And I'm sure living in a completely different country will be a rich experience that will no doubt broaden your horizons. All the best :smile:
prospectivEEconomist
anyoneelse got an opinion?

If it's unpaid, I take it you're paying for the airfares and the accommodation? How costly is it, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Would I? No, because I have no interest in accounting. But it sounds like an amazing experience for someone who does... as long as you have the money.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
If it's unpaid, I take it you're paying for the airfares and the accommodation? How costly is it, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

I'd be paying airfare anyway as I have to visit someone there. Accommodation is about 200 euros per month.
prospectivEEconomist
I'd be paying airfare anyway as I have to visit someone there. Accommodation is about 200 euros per month.

I'm with la fille danse on this. If you can afford it, it does sound like a good opportunity. I wouldn't worry about not speaking the local language: if you know someone over there, they presumably speak English and could help you out if needed and I'm sure the firm wouldn't have offered you the placement if there wasn't at least a few people who could speak English well :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending