The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Alex D
Would that be mainly neurosurgery then? Or some general and orthopaedics?

what do you think?

i can't think off the top of my head, but there are a fair few...its hard to say, orthopaedics may be more common

they're nothing special though, and are so heavy and get in the way, it feels awful when wearing it
Reply 61
Subcutaneous
what do you think?

i can't think off the top of my head, but there are a fair few...its hard to say, orthopaedics may be more common

they're nothing special though, and are so heavy and get in the way, it feels awful when wearing it

No idea, haven't started med school yet that's why I was asking you. I've heard of intra-operative scanning for some brain tumours. Not sure why I thought ortho :curious:
Alex D
No idea, haven't started med school yet that's why I was asking you. I've heard of intra-operative scanning for some brain tumours. Not sure why I thought ortho :curious:

well;i know there are many procedures with radiation, obviously angiograms; pci's, oncology..some gastro procedures etc

to be frank i dont do surgical nursing into my 2nd year so all i know is the pre-op and peri-op care
Reply 63
Subcutaneous
well;i know there are many procedures with radiation, obviously angiograms; pci's, oncology..some gastro procedures etc

to be frank i dont do surgical nursing into my 2nd year so all i know is the pre-op and peri-op care

Oh right, so maybe some heart stuff too. Thanks :smile:
Reply 64
Alex D
Would that be mainly neurosurgery then? Or some general and orthopaedics?

In this case, it was for a cholecystectomy. It was so that the surgeon could determine the anatomy of the bile ducts by injecting a radio opaque dye into what he thought was the right tube. It's ocassionally used in this operation if the anatomy is 'weird'.
Reply 65
In the netherlands all doctors and nurses where white coats! :O scary
Reply 66
visesh
In this case, it was for a cholecystectomy. It was so that the surgeon could determine the anatomy of the bile ducts by injecting a radio opaque dye into what he thought was the right tube. It's ocassionally used in this operation if the anatomy is 'weird'.

Oh right, thanks mate :top:

EDIT: is that so he doesn't injure the main bile duct?
im glad we dont have to wear them i cant imagine wearing so many layers in the summer!
Pop_tart
In the netherlands all doctors and nurses where white coats! :O scary

Im not being funny but i would find it so weird having to nurse in a white coat!!! Imagine trying to change beds or sort out someones pad..or..help someone eat with a white coat flapping about!
Reply 69
We still wear them most of the time apart from some situations e.g. paeds, obs&gynae and GP, but on the whole its expected of us (less so as you go up the years)
Reply 70
pureparade
They aren't supposed to wear them because they spread infection ward-to-ward.
If you insist...
Reply 71
DMed
There's the whole white coat hypertension thing,
It isn't cured by taking off your coat... :nah:
Reply 72
iceman_jondoe
im glad we dont have to wear them i cant imagine wearing so many layers in the summer!
Aye, they're a right bastard in the summer, or even when the heating's up too high.
Reply 73
Subcutaneous
oooo you wait till you meet me when i'm an infection control nurses (one day...:rolleyes:)
I like New Zealand, there's none of the petty bullying over here.
Reply 74
Subcutaneous
at the end of the day infection control comes before looking profesional
Infection control also comes before evidence based medicine... :rolleyes:
Reply 75
somethingbeautiful
Can't they just wear a white coat with the sleeves cut off? :ninja:
They are in GSTT. Horrible things they are too.
Reply 76
Alex D
What operations would you need to wear one for in theatre?

Lots of things require x-ray guidance - orthopaedic procedures, angiography/plasty, urological stents, GI procedures like ERCP, on-table cholangiograms etc. Wearing leads is one of the main reasons I really don't want to do surgery or cardiology.

Subcutaneous
he had a steth (around his neck..again bad infection control)

This is a new one to me. If we're not allowed bags, not allowed white coats so have no pockets (try finding nice women's clothing which has pockets you could fit a stethoscope in), where the **** are we meant to put them?

My only problem with not having a white coat is the lack of pockets, and that there is never anywhere secure on the ward to leave a bag with e.g. keys, phone, lunch money in. That aside I think they're ugly and make you too hot, so I'm glad I've never had to wear them.
Subcutaneous
Do doctors still wear them, and are they still meant to wear them, what with bare below elbows atm?!

depends on the hospital
Helenia
Lots of things require x-ray guidance - orthopaedic procedures, angiography/plasty, urological stents, GI procedures like ERCP, on-table cholangiograms etc. Wearing leads is one of the main reasons I really don't want to do surgery or cardiology.

This is a new one to me. If we're not allowed bags, not allowed white coats so have no pockets (try finding nice women's clothing which has pockets you could fit a stethoscope in), where the **** are we meant to put them?

My only problem with not having a white coat is the lack of pockets, and that there is never anywhere secure on the ward to leave a bag with e.g. keys, phone, lunch money in. That aside I think they're ugly and make you too hot, so I'm glad I've never had to wear them.

No i absoloutely agree, but the doctors on my old ward weren't allowed to wear them around the neck, usually it was the shoulder or the hand- which was impratical. It was annoying for nurses too; they had steths aswell and just kept them behind the nurses station, and it was awkward when you wanted to do obs and had to carry the manual BP machine to the patients with hypo/hypertension (ie most on the ward) it got annoying
Renal
Infection control also comes before evidence based medicine... :rolleyes:

Apparently my father has found a great new game on this...

When you spot one of the drones putting a new poster up look at it with over acted interest with a few mates, then when they ask if you have any questions ask "Where are the references?". Apparently this raises their blood pressure like nothing else.

Latest

Trending

Trending